Sponsored by:

Class I 944 versus SP1

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006 | 12:50 AM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by richard glickel.

Dave,

Am I correct in my reading of PCA's statement on SP-3, (and SP-1 & 2, I suppose), that the specs for club racing are the 944cup specs? In other words, were I to elect to compete in SP-3 instead of "F" class, my 968 would have to conform to the 944 "Supercup" specs? (e.g., a little lighter weight [3200lbs w/driver vs. 3100lbs sans driver], no passenger's seat, chip allowed)??

Thanks.
Richard,

Your PCA 968 weight has been 3086 without driver. In 2007 it will be 3086 + 150 = 3236 with driver. The difference is 36 lbs and F is such a competitive class with large fields. I see SP1, SP2 and SP3 as a way to race more than once at a given track with PCA, NASA etc., thereby reducing travel/towing time and costs if you want to do more events.

Bill
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:12 PM
richard glickel.
Drifting

Originally Posted by comatb
In 2007 it will be 3086 + 150 = 3236 with driver.
Correct. In SP3 the minimum car w/driver weight is 3200 lbs. vs. the new PCA "F" class minimum of 3236 (w/driver).

During this past season, I did run some 944 cup events with the "F" car. This we can do. The reverse, (viz., run an SP3 car in "F") however, would not work. So, I need to decide whether I will participate in PCA SP3 before the start of the '07 season. Should I go that route, I can make some modifications to the car that are permitted (with a 100 lb "penalty") that I would not be allowed to do in "F" (e.g., remove a/c, passenger's seat, carpeting, etc.). Or, I could just leave that stuff on the car - since it needs to weigh 3300 lbs anyhow - and, if I decide to switch the car back to "F" class , simply reinstall the stock chip, change the brakes and come down 1 inch in wheel width.

At the PCA races I attended here in the northeast this year, I believe there was only 1 SP car at each of three club races (Lime Rock (SP1), Watkins (SP2) & Summit Pt (SP2)) and no SP cars at the Mosport race. This may change somewhat next season, which has me seriously considering the switch for '07.
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:19 PM
AJBERB
Advanced

Greetings everyone. I've been racing I class since 2005 (ooh, long time eh?), but I have chosen to stick with I because there is very little Spec 944 (SP1) activity in the Midwest and I like the development side of I class.

Development
IMHO, the spec classes are really good for "introduction to W2W racing". They keep the costs lower (relatively) and it allows you to concentrate on seat time. Which we all know is the key to fast. End of last year I had to decide between I and SP1. I stayed with I mainly because I am an engineer and I like the development side of racing. The restrictions with SP1 do not lend themselves to development. A little to tuning, but not at all to development. The rule makers are very candid to this point, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. So, if you are looking for a class where you can try different shocks, springs, bars, wheel/tire combos, different aero changes, and etc, then SP1 (Spec 944) will not satisfy that. Development is higher risk, but driving a cr@ppy handling car makes you a better driver too. It gives you the opportunity to feel the difference between good and bad setups. Assuming you ever make it to a good setup.

Lap Time
I raced against the previously mentioned "fast I car at Daytona" when we were at Road America. The driver is Mitch Richard and he was fast. I was working at Daytona and wasn't driving so I don't have a comparison for Daytona. MyLaps works well for comparisons though. I was 0.3 seconds slower at Road America than his 2:48.2. So far, that is my personal best at RA. This after having a huge off in Turn 16 due to a mechanical failure. We were lucky to get the car back together. Full story at www.co-opracing.com If it wasn't for the accident, I should have been challenging for the 'I' lead more. So, knowing the preparation and limitations of my car and some about Mr Richard's car, I am not surprised how fast he was at Daytona. He's a good driver with a well sorted car.

Competition
Ultimately it comes down to competition determined by your location. I am going to try to layout what cars can race with what class. I am going to assume a fully prepared car for each class. Sometimes I confuse myself, so you may want to check my math.
Spec 944 - NASA in Spec 944, 944 Cup (as an ITS car), or GTS1 (power to weight ratio)
PCA in SP1 (Spec 944) or SP2 (944 Cup as an ITS car)
SCCA or Midwestern Council in ITS
PCA 'I' - NASA in 944 Cup or GTS1
- PCA in I or SP2 (944 Cup)
- SCCA or Midwestern Council in ITE (run what you brung class. 3.0L and below I believe)
ITS - NASA in 944 Cup or GTS1 (maybe GTS2 depending on power to weight)
- PCA in SP2 (944 Cup) or bump to a GT or upper level stock class
- SCCA or Midwestern Council in ITS
Note: No matter where you go, you'll be able to find a class. Competitiveness in that class is the question. An I car can run in ITS if you don't have remote resevior shocks, rear helper springs, and wheels larger than 16x7. You may be able to run a Spec 944 in I if you put interior in it. Then again, you may not if the a/c and heat has been removed.

gman1868
I was watching my Putnam Park video the other night and saw the aftermath of your unfortunate incindent. I hope everything turned out alright for you.
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:31 PM
M758
Race Director

Originally Posted by AJBERB
The restrictions with SP1 do not lend themselves to development. A little to tuning, but not at all to development. The rule makers are very candid to this point, so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. So, if you are looking for a class where you can try different shocks, springs, bars, wheel/tire combos, different aero changes, and etc, then SP1 (Spec 944) will not satisfy that.
I will counter this with one point.

944 spec (SP1) allows varried spring rates (with in a range) and any aligment settings. So you do have some room to tune the chassis.

This past october I was playing around with front aligment, ride height, camber & shock setting and really improved the balance of the car. I can also choose between 250 to 500lbs for my front springs and then attempt to tune the car to my driving style. Part of the reason we don't spec spring rates or sway bars is allow for the drivers to learn to tune their chassis.

Where the 944 spec class really wants to limit "development" is in the engine compartment. Our goal is equal hp on basic junkyard or home built motors. Chassis tweaking is encourgaged. We do however have limits on chassis turning by limiting the rear spring rate and shocks .

Really the best place to run if you want to develop the car is GTS. GTS rules are just based on HP and weight. Great for developing a car.

PS... I our currnet 944 spec driver list has 7 or 8 944 spec cars in the Midwest area. A number of them are centered near Minneapolis.
Old 12-01-2006 | 01:40 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

AJBERB, enjoy your development, as it is challenging and fun. I've 'been there done that' as the stack of bills can attest to develop six 944 based cars. The reason to run 944spec for me is to limit the cost and time devoted to development and redirect those resources to competing in more races and where the 'nut behind the wheel' is the the biggest factor in who wins.....not $$$$$$$.

Bill
Old 12-01-2006 | 02:13 PM
AJBERB
Advanced

You are correct, there is some opportunity for "development" but not as many as I class which is what is being compared. Most of the changes you mentioned fall under the tuning category, which is critical no matter what class you run in. Still, there are more tuning and development opportunities with an I car. As you mentioned, there are far more opportunites with GTS, but that is a whole other conversation in itself.

Here is an excerpt from the 2006 PCA Club Racing News where it is mentioned that this is not an innovators class. I interpreted that as developers class, which may not be the same. http://www.pca.org/clubrace/newsletters/CRN-2006.1.pdf

"Here’s the class philosophy: 944 spec will be a class
for those individuals that wish to race a Porsche in competition
with limited expense and low cost of operation. These rules are
intended to control costs and reduce any performance advantage
from the cars so that driving ability and race setup are the
greatest factors in determining winners. The spirit of the class is
for all cars to be equal in weight and horsepower. The focus will
be on driver ability and not dollar ability. This class is not
intended to be an engine builder or innovator’s class."

When comparing I and SP1, I don't see much of a difference in engine modification limitations. In actuality, the SP1 engine rule doesn't account for the high compression ratio 88 engines. It allows everyone to update to this engine, but it doesn't compensate for those who don't have it. With I class, you have to add weight to the car if you run an 88 comparable engine. So, if you want to compete on power in SP1, you have to build or buy a specific engine.

Am I missing something blatently obvious between the I and SP1 engine rules? Because they sound pretty much the same to me.
Old 12-01-2006 | 02:28 PM
AJBERB
Advanced

Thanks comatb, I do enjoy the development. Trust me when I say that $$$$$$ is not something that I throw around freely. The time on the other hand is something that is in excess. I also get great satisfaction from beating people who have far more money invested than I do. The development side also makes me a better engineer. I am not a racecar engineer, but I play one on TV. :-) Actually, I would consider that as one of my hobbies. It helps me to work with my buddy on his American Iron Firebird, be a crew chief for Eurosport Racing, and crew for some pro cars.

Ultimately it comes down to goals. Your personal goals determine I or SP1 class. My goals keep me in I. Other peoples goals put them in SP1. Personally, I don't care what makes me faster than the competition. I may be a better engineer than a driver. I have to use the skills that God gave me.
Old 12-01-2006 | 02:38 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Each to his own goals, plans and dreams. However I know of some I class cars that cost $30,000 US to build and develop. You also must have at least one new set of Hoosiers for every race. The affordability of 944spec I believe should attract more racers all with relatively equal cars. That's what I'm looking for, but I understand your desire to run I class. Good luck and say hello if you see my name on the entry list, especially at Mosport.

Bill
Old 12-04-2006 | 12:28 PM
Vampire
Racer

... but that car blew by me in my SP1 car on the banking. It intrigued me that it had a stock car like rear air dam that must have been six inches high and was vertical. I can't imagine the drag that must induce.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep53ycW562Q&eurl=

The spolier can bee seen on the car around 2 minutes into this video. I am not so sure it was too tall.

The driver was quick inthe infield section.
Old 12-04-2006 | 12:38 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

You also must have at least one new set of Hoosiers for every race... but I understand your desire to run I class.
Bill
Not familiar with the requirement to have at least one new set of Hoosier to compete in PCA I class races, but certainly not the case if AJBERB decides to bring his I car to race in the 944 Cup.

Last edited by 944Cup; 12-04-2006 at 10:28 PM.
Old 12-04-2006 | 02:59 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vampire
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep53ycW562Q&eurl=

The spolier can bee seen on the car around 2 minutes into this video. I am not so sure it was too tall.

The driver was quick inthe infield section.
Vampire, I agree that the spoiler wasn't 'too tall', in that it meets the rules. I'm just pointing out that this spoiler would create a lot of drag and should theoretically slow the car on the high speed sections of the track. Your video doesn't clearly show the clear vertical part of the spoiler that I'm specifically referring to.

Bill
Old 12-04-2006 | 03:04 PM
comatb
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944Cup
Not familiar with the requirement to have at least one new set of Hoosier to compete in PCA I class races, but certainly not the case if AJBERB decides to bring his I car to race in the 944 Cup.
Dave, obviously it isn't a 'requirement', but it is a competitive advantage that most PCA class winners use. I noticed that the winner of the 944 Cup National Championship used several sets of new Hoosiers at the Mid-Ohio championships.

Bill
Old 12-04-2006 | 10:23 PM
944Cup
Rennlist Member

Dave, obviously it isn't a 'requirement', but it is a competitive advantage that most PCA class winners use. I noticed that the winner of the 944 Cup National Championship used several sets of new Hoosiers at the Mid-Ohio championships.
Bill
Must admit that quite a few drivers had new rubber at Nationals, but that's not typical for races thorughout the year.
Old 12-09-2006 | 12:14 AM
esscape26
Racer

New tires needed for every race, for sure, in PCA, Class I to keep up with the rest.

Now that you mentioned it, DD< might start a trend in Cup, too....

ooops.

I wish this need for new tires weren't so....

PM
Old 12-09-2006 | 04:20 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

I agree with Dave, I dont know that every race is typical. I only bought one set of Hoosiers this year and was competitive in "I" at every event that I attended (Mid O, Watkins, Mosport sprint and enduro at each) Actually, several times I was faster on my older S04's than I was on the new R6's. I usually have an older set and a newer set and dont buy new till the older ones are toast. New tires for every event are certainly nice but I dont think the majority of "I" racers are doing it.

Quick Reply: Class I 944 versus SP1