Sponsored by:

Just bought a Trailex. Any advice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 04:02 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep my 14" Goodyear tires at 50lbs, as advised by Trailex.
I would bungee the fuel jugs, just in case. Lock them in the tow vehicle at night.
also like Racerwholesale.com.
more lights and reflectors are good.
As an alternative to the Trailex spare tire mount, you can carry them on the tire rack if you have room.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:22 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BTW guys, what is the best way to jack up the trailer in case of a flat?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:32 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Get trailer ramps like THESE

Old 11-21-2006, 10:01 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
BTW guys, what is the best way to jack up the trailer in case of a flat?
The absolute best/easiest way is to use one of the trailer ramps to drive onto, leaving the flat tire suspended and easy to change. Jiffy Jack and Trailer Aid are two brand names:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Trailer-Aid-Jack...QQcmdZViewItem

http://www.horse.com/products/gift-0__sku-BRE10.html

ooops...didn't see Mitch's reply.
Old 11-21-2006, 11:19 AM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Trailex enhancements

My favorite Trailex accessory was a locking box mounted up front. A great place to keep tiedown straps, chocks, ball grease, gloves, a couple cones, etc. It had to hinge in order to access the front tie downs, but I tabbed the sides using two angle brackets and the trailex moveable studs plus wingnuts.

I don't think it had any aerodynamic cost since it was so close to the tow vehicle.

I miss the Trailex: The Eurovan would pull it at 70mph and get 15mpg and maneuver it through a McDonalds drive up window.

I now use a 20' Featherlite which is light and small for an enclosed trailer but leagues away from the ease of the Trailex.
Attached Images  
Old 11-21-2006, 11:32 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Same box on mine, mounted on the left rear side of the trailer. Very useful option.
Old 11-21-2006, 12:02 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BrandonH
My favorite Trailex accessory was a locking box mounted up front. A great place to keep tiedown straps, chocks, ball grease, gloves, a couple cones, etc. It had to hinge in order to access the front tie downs, but I tabbed the sides using two angle brackets and the trailex moveable studs plus wingnuts.

I don't think it had any aerodynamic cost since it was so close to the tow vehicle.

I miss the Trailex: The Eurovan would pull it at 70mph and get 15mpg and maneuver it through a McDonalds drive up window.

I now use a 20' Featherlite which is light and small for an enclosed trailer but leagues away from the ease of the Trailex.
Towing with a Eurovan - nice!
Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
Towing with a Eurovan - nice!
If this van's a rockin, slow down and get out of the lane next to me . . .
Old 11-21-2006, 12:16 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Same box on mine, mounted on the left rear side of the trailer. Very useful option.
I didn't have enough room for a box in back of the wheel well once we'd gotten the car properly balanced. Which reminds me: another important aspect of towing w/the Trailex is getting the tongue weight right. I had it at about 600lbs or 17% of total weight and never had any problems.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:00 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

BrandonH - thanks so much for posting the picture with your box. I am very interesed in a box liek that. Where did you get yours and how much? Also, I am wondering if my 996 will still fit on the trailer with a box like that?

Bull - does your box interfere with the loading of your car at all? Just curious.

Everyone - What is the best way to measure tongue weight and when do you know when it is just right???
Old 11-21-2006, 01:21 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

BrandonH - thanks so much for posting the picture with your box. I am very interesed in a box liek that. Where did you get yours and how much? Also, I am wondering if my 996 will still fit on the trailer with a box like that?
Bull - does your box interfere with the loading of your car at all? Just curious.
Everyone - What is the best way to measure tongue weight and when do you know when it is just right???
I got it from Trailex it was a ~$200 I think, probably much cheaper now from Home Depot or Pep Boys. Calculating tongue weight is a pain. There are some specialty devices sold by trailer supply companies. I used a truck weigh station. Too much means your tow vehicle will sag in the rear. Too little means you could induce a terminal sway condition. Too much is better than too little.
Tongue weight scales by Sherline with accompanying horror stories here:
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm
(also a very good newbie guide to towing)
Old 11-21-2006, 01:54 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The box from Trailex fits behind the left side fender and hangs completely outside of the trailer (like the fender), even though the axles are mounted more to the rear to accommodate a rear engined car. It doesn't impact the loading of my car at all.

To measure tongue weight, you should use a simple tongue weight scale (any trailer place will have one), and several people in out Region have them at each DE/race. Place all equipment and tires that you will haul on the trailer, then load the car. When all is loaded, unhook the trailer from the tow vehicle and set the trailer so that it is level. Then place the tongue weight scale on a floor jack, raising it up so that it engages the ball receiver on the trailer tongue. When that is set, take the weight off of the tongue jack and it will transfer to the tongue weight scale. You should have 10-12% of the total weight of the trailer and its load resting on the tongue weight scale. If you don't, adjust the position of the car on the trailer until you do (VERY carefully as the trailer is not hooked up to the tow vehicle!). With the Trailex, you can then simply adjust the front wheel stops to that location so that the car is in the same position every time you load it.

If your tongue weight is too low, you will have trailer sway. If it is too heavy, the trailer will try to drive the rear of the tow vehicle to the left or right under heavy braking. If you achieve the proper tongue weight, but don't have the trailer level when doing so, you will carry more weight on one axle than the other, increasing the load on those tires, tire wear and bearing wear.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:35 PM
MDL
Racer

I just bought 4 of these for my 911. They work great. Also, I use a tie strap around the handle and strap just to make sure they don't pop open accidentally.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...70_23778_23778
Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

I’m about to buy a trailex too. I haven’t done the measurements yet, but is the 7031 model definitely to narrow? I have a 951 that might have a wide body at some point. Thanks
Old 12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

Default How about an open featherlite?

Originally Posted by Wormhole
I’m about to buy a trailex too. I haven’t done the measurements yet, but is the 7031 model definitely to narrow? I have a 951 that might have a wide body at some point. Thanks
Trailex has a very good reputation in the P-Car community, but if I didn't need the lightest possible trailer, I'd have gone with a featherlite open trailer. it is much more substantial and IMHO much better made. Also, despite being much more substantial, they are cheaper, at least used. Has anyone owned both? Frankly I thought for the money Trailex quality was not that great...

In a bizarre and unpleasant irony: since this thread started my current trailer, a 20' enclosed featherlite, (All AL, lined, 30amp panel, lights, A/C, cabinets, folding bunks) was stolen from the lot of a neighbor's bodyshop here in NJ. My next one will have a boot and a GPS locator...

Quick Reply: Just bought a Trailex. Any advice?