Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use an in-car DVD camera?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much video do you think you can grab with the bullet cam?
Old 11-10-2006, 07:25 AM
Bos
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The linked user manual indicates 30 minutes per 1gb at highest quality, so 60 minutes with the 2gb SD car maiximum.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:39 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

2gb cards are under $30, now.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the ChaseCam PDR 100 for recording/storage (records MPEG-2 to a CF card, no moving parts) and the SS1000 to do a PIP for my two bullet cameras. You can record a full days sessions on a 4 Gb CF card.

It all runs off 12V so it's hardwired with a dash switch. I use a LANC to do remote on/off/record too. The LANC in great in that you can be fully belted in and simply reach down to the tunnel and push the button to start or stop recording.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:09 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

There are also cheap (~$100) MPEG4 video recorders which can take standard analog video inputs from a bullet cam and record to a flash card. I've been using an Aiptek MPVR to do this. The Aiptek is cheap, but does the job. Of course it's not as high res as you would get with a DV camcorder though, but for my purposes it is enough. Plus I don't plan on keeping gigabytes of track video around anyway.

The other nice thing about any of the digital recorders is that you can just copy the file from the flash card to a computer for viewing/editing, saves the hassle of converting DV tape via Firewire, etc.

Also don't go too too cheap on the memory cards - the write speed of slower/cheaper cards may not be fast enough to keep up with the video stream when recording.
Old 11-11-2006, 05:05 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to a posting I saw from someone at Oregon Scientific on another forum the OSI camera will support a 4gb SD card as well, although oddly enough they claimsit is a tight fit physcially, which I don't understand. An SD card should always be the same dimensions so maybe they just had an odd one.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:14 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

check - http://www.chasecam.com/

R+C
Old 11-11-2006, 07:19 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rick964
According to a posting I saw from someone at Oregon Scientific on another forum the OSI camera will support a 4gb SD card as well, although oddly enough they claimsit is a tight fit physcially, which I don't understand. An SD card should always be the same dimensions so maybe they just had an odd one.
I believe SD and MMC cards are not exactly the size physically, and this may be at the root of the 'tight fit' scenario.

Check the http://www.kingston.com/ site.

R+C
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

another place to check is http://www.hoyttech.com
Old 11-13-2006, 01:52 AM
Claus Groth
Pro

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
I have a Sony miniDV camera. It works fine and has a wired remote that allows you to shut off and restart the camera as well as operate the record function.
Larry,
I am still weighing all of the options presented. What is the model number of your camera? Thanks to all for your inputs.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

It is a Sony DCR-HC42 with a .6 wide angle lens (VCL-0625S) and it works great, especially with the image stabilization on. It certainly is not the cheapest route, but it does double duty as our regular video camera, it can fit into a large jacket pocket, and so based on that it really cost me for only the I/O port mount and the wide angle lens. There was also a thread on this last year here.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-18-2006, 03:36 AM
Rick964
Burning Brakes

Here are a few scenes cut from my first test drive with the ATC-2000. First off, note that the camera was mounted hanging from the passenger sun visor by a velcro strap so there is some vibration in the video that should come out with a better mount. Secondly, there is some refelction in right side of the windshield from stuff lying on the passenger floor (white plastic bottles) those are not ghost images. The camera was also a bit cockeyed apparently, easily adjustable. Movie starts with some freeway driving followed by some surface streets. After the streets start you will notice a turn which points the camera right into the sun and also drives through some shade from the trees. You can see how the camera reacts to changing light conditions. The last scene is just pulling into my garage to see how extreme lighting condition changes affect it.

You can hear engine sound in the background, slightly, but the crackling sound is overbearing. I spoke to the manufacturer and they have agreed that I must have a defective unit and will replace it for me.
Test drive video
Old 11-18-2006, 10:17 AM
RICHVIZZ951
Racer

Rick964 they are out of stock..

I'm gonna give this a try as well

Quick Reply: Anyone use an in-car DVD camera?