Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Successful club racing.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:33 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

If I had to do it all over again, I would have started racing sooner. I had ~100 DE days when I did my rookie race. The good thing was that I was a podium contender right away. The bad thing was that I didn't have "racing skills" like how to make a pass, or how to keep a competitor behind me, or how not to get held up by the lappers, or how to get a fast qualifying time right out of the box, etc, etc. So while I was just as fast as the top guys in my class, they would beat me with their superior race craft.

One example of race craft was my second race was at Watkins Glen. During qualifying, I made the cardnial sin of racing the guys around me. I knew I could go faster, but I spent the entire session duking it out with these guys. I should have laid back, and just gone for the one good lap. I've since gotten much better at qualifying. At Road America this year, I did only one lap and was on the group pole (granted, I only did one lap because I put it into the kitty litter in Canada...but that is a different story).

Another thing I would have done differently is the modifications I did to my car. When I started DE I did not really think much about racing. I ended up building what would have been a highly uncompetitive GT3S car. In retrospect, I should have just bought a E/D/C car that was already setup. Would have saved myself a small pile of cash had I done so.

Originally Posted by Bull
Seems like a firm grasp of the obvious to me...but, maybe that is because I have done both.
Bull, I'd guess that at least 75% of people at DEs think they are "racing".
Old 11-06-2006, 12:36 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In 59 races in my 944 I raced in in the rain only once. That was this past march at Cal speedway. My goals in that racer were very similar to my first one.

1) No damage
2) Keep the car on track point the right way

I qualified well in mixed condtions and got 4th in 12 car field. Race went green in a hail storm I lost 4th place at the start. I settled in 5th. With in 1 lap I saw the lead car in class pull off track due to horrible conditions. (this guy has pro racing experience so that tells you how bad things were). So I got 4th like that. Then coming out of a chicane the 3rd place car right in front of me missed a shift I shot by under power. Held it like that to the finished and came in 3rd place in class and like 25th in 60 car field. In some spots the spray go so bad that approching chicane (100 mph in the dry) I had to look out the side of the car to see the flag stand as my reference for braking since the corner was just big spray cloud. Fun thinking "ohh there is flag stand the corner is comeing better slow down".

Cool thing was that there were NO 944 spec guys that hit anything. We kept it on track clean. It was a survival race and we made it. So even after 50 races there still times you feel like a rookie.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Would it be inappropriate to ask for PCA instructors who are also club racers to ride with you during DE days and ask them to teach some of the "craft" to you? I'm not saying go racing in DE, but get some learning from experienced club racers. I wouldn't want to do it though if it put them in an awkward position with PCA.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:07 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
Would it be inappropriate to ask for PCA instructors who are also club racers to ride with you during DE days and ask them to teach some of the "craft" to you? I'm not saying go racing in DE, but get some learning from experienced club racers. I wouldn't want to do it though if it put them in an awkward position with PCA.
my first event w/ pca they just happened to assign to me a club racer, but i think it was a coincidence only b/c he happened to have an early car like i do. (east coast '44 guys, and others, will know him... it was chris brady). he did such a good job and my driving style/preference fit his instructing so well that after that i always requested an instructor that races. my pca region (potomac) always obliged.

if you think that suits you, go ahead and ask for it. i felt bad that some other drivers had instructors yelling at them for doing things that mine were encouraging. surely not all students are the same, but if you feel confident in what you know and would prefer an aggressive instructor, then ask for one.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:09 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I would not have a problem with that, but at the same time of this "racecraft" is not going to be release to a potential class competitor.

Even then howver I am learning racecraft as I go and while I can teach driving and lines I am not so confident I can "teach racecraft". I guess I mean to say that I am learn it still and while I can pull moves off on the track I am not sure how to "explain" or demonstrate them.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

You're in White, ask anyone you want... but they will only do so much as it isn't in the spirit of and/or appropriate for a PCA DE. Something you can do for yourself once you know your car intimately (now that you have a G Stock race car) is drive "off" line. Not "THE" line, but a set line a car width or so out of the norm to see how it feels. I've been doing that for a while now. Take Big Bend at LRP and stay inside the whole way, including up the chute (on the outside). Take West Bend a car out (act like you got passed on the inside) or stay inside after apexing. ONLY do this if no one is really close to you at a DE AND you feel 110% in control... This coming weekend may not be your best choice for trying it...
Old 11-06-2006, 02:10 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

If I may chime in with a thought. Don't rush into racing. Judging from the short time you've spent here, you seem to be hell bent to do it all. Remember, life is a journey, not a destination.

I went from DE to racing and back again, only to be flirting with the idea of racing again. Let me give you another view. Most people here will tell you that once you go racing, you will never look at DE the same. Well that's true but it doesn't mean DE's aren't more or less enjoyable for YOU. I like hanging around the track with my buddies (and they don't race) so free time is important. When I was racing, it seemed that all of my off time was spent getting things ready for the next installment, which meant I didn't have much time to hang out with my friends. DE is very relaxed compared to racing. Don't think that because you enjoy DE more than racing that makes you less of a driver, or less able. There are alot of very competent drivers who choose DE for a variety of reasons. There are also alot of incompetent racers, don't be one of them.

Take your time. Have fun doing DE's. Learn all you can about driving dynamics (read alot, practice techniques on the street etc...), don't trash bad instructors publicly (because you are not qualified to evaluate whether an instructor is good or not at your level).

Keep posting, it is always great to get a excited newbe here and the threads have been very entertaining.
Old 11-06-2006, 02:14 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
surely not all students are the same, but if you feel confident in what you know and would prefer an aggressive instructor, then ask for one.
Great advice for someone like me, I will definetly ask for an aggressive, racer instructor. We'll have more in common, minus the racing part
Old 11-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
Another thing I would have done differently is the modifications I did to my car. When I started DE I did not really think much about racing. I ended up building what would have been a highly uncompetitive GT3S car. In retrospect, I should have just bought a E/D/C car that was already setup. Would have saved myself a small pile of cash had I done so.
How setup do you mean? Just the required safety stuff like rollcage, fire extinguisher, cutoff switch, etc. or do you mean the suspension, wheels, tires, and basically everything that's "free" under the rules? Also, are there people that drive competitive club racers to and from the track for long distances or do most people tow?

c
Old 11-06-2006, 02:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
If I may chime in with a thought. Don't rush into racing. Judging from the short time you've spent here, you seem to be hell bent to do it all. Remember, life is a journey, not a destination.

Take your time. Have fun doing DE's. Learn all you can about driving dynamics (read alot, practice techniques on the street etc...), don't trash bad instructors publicly (because you are not qualified to evaluate whether an instructor is good or not at your level).
Mitch, I guess you are referring to me, afterall I am the only newbie here
I am here to learn as much theory as I can from you all, especially since our DE season is over here in New England.

Before next season I will attend the Porsche experience program down south, and a rally school in New Hampshire.

Coming April 2007 I will be doing my second green DE.

I am not going racing anytime soon, but I will give everyone heads up if I change my mind....
Keep posting, it is always great to get a excited newbe here and the threads have been very entertaining.
Thanks, I will stick around as long as I am learning...( that might be a long while)
Old 11-06-2006, 02:59 PM
mrbill_fl
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts

and another thought...

1st season I spend about 1 hour under the car for every hour on track... by end of 5th season it was 40 hours under the car for every hour on track.
Expenses were in similar proportions.
( aka: the slippery slope.. Decide goals before you start... and stick to 'em. )

also, Courtesy on track pays dividens in the future. You can get lots of help when you're slow... not so much later...
Use the rookie time wisely. you'll gain 2 (or more) seconds a lap 1st seasion. know your place, and your time will come... its a very small community, & everyone remembers...
Old 11-06-2006, 03:29 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Mitch, I guess you are referring to me, afterall I am the only newbie here
I am here to learn as much theory as I can from you all, especially since our DE season is over here in New England.

Before next season I will attend the Porsche experience program down south, and a rally school in New Hampshire.

Coming April 2007 I will be doing my second green DE.

I am not going racing anytime soon, but I will give everyone heads up if I change my mind....

Thanks, I will stick around as long as I am learning...( that might be a long while)
Since this is your thread, yes I was referring to you. Better than the Porsche experience, maybe you would ship your car down here and fly in for the 48 hours event at Sebring in Feburary. It hosts the PCA national race, and usually some dignitaries show up. It is a four day weekend and you would have a great time. Unfortunately, it is solo only so you would have to be signed off before running this event. Also, in January is the PBOC Winterfest, another 4 day event with DE and racing. Alot of national level racers show up to get ready for the PCA event.

Trust me or do a search about the PDE. It is a great experience for the guy who hasn't been on track in a DE before but because is has such a controlled event, most people who have been on track before claim it is not too exciting.

Oh and by the way, on the topic of costs, they will skyrocket once you start racing but that is another story.....
Old 11-06-2006, 04:08 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

the PDE is a great experience for the guy who hasn't been on track in a DE before but because is has such a controlled event, most people who have been on track before claim it is not too exciting.
You just saved me $3k. Thanks.

I might just show up for the Sebring events, (to watch), my cpa will categorize it as "professional development"
Old 11-06-2006, 10:13 PM
grehalva
Advanced

I agree with Mitch about the PDE. I live in Birmingham and know alot of the instructors and if you want to learn about racing save your bucks here and spend it with the Panoz Race School at Road Atlanta.
I did about 10 DE's and then decided to do the 3 day school at Road Atlanta. You will get the basics of road racing with some very good instructors. I then went back for 7 lapping days in the Panoz car while still doing DE's.
But the question is "What is door to door racing like?" It is nothing like a DE but do you want to spend the money on your car and what if you don't like it? Here is what I did before I made an investment. I raced in the Panoz series before I decided to buy and prepare a Porsche 944.
I recommend to my friends go to a race school then pay for a ride (there are lots out there including 944's) then decide if racing is for you.
I crashed in my 1st race more about ego than seat time. Learned lots from that experience. I then raced with 3 rules Do hit anybody, Do not finsih last and Have Fun! Most of all Have Fun!
Lots of races since then I can tell you that I follow my 3 rules and yes I am having fun!
If I had to do it all over again I would buy a prepared car would have saved lots of cash.
Hope this helps
Rich
#47 SPC 2 944 Porsche
Gone but not forgotten
87 930
85 911 Targa
Old 11-06-2006, 10:29 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by grehalva
I then raced with 3 rules Do hit anybody, Do not finsih last and Have Fun! Most of all Have Fun!
Lots of races since then I can tell you that I follow my 3 rules and yes I am having fun!

Rich
#47 SPC 2 944 Porsche
Gone but not forgotten
87 930
85 911 Targa
Rich, I am sure you meant to say Do NOT hit anybody.

How does the Panoz school compare to Skippy schoool?

Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Successful club racing.....