Successful club racing.....

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 07:43 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by leif997
count me in on that, Larry and also; it does not hurt to have some experience riding motorcycles in traffic (NYC for 13 years) to feel comfortable in close traffic; it helps to develope a "6th" sense for cars around you at starts and you will "feel them" before you see them....I am sure Larry will agree with this
No question, Norm. How many times does someone disappear from your mirrors, but you know they are there. It's even more important now with the restricted side view due to H&N devices and Halo seats.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 11-05-2006, 08:54 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Colin, what you are saying is that club racing distinguishes the men from the boys.

No, I think Colin is saying he doesn't like kissing his sister anymore...............
Old 11-05-2006, 08:56 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bobt993
No, I think Colin is saying he doesn't like kissing his sister anymore...............
I thought he simply said he could tell the difference between his sister and a **** star.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:06 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

I have zero siblings. Anyway, the point was that once you've raced, DEs just aren't the same. At least that was the case for me. Others may have a different view.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:17 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

I'll go back to your original question and ask a question in return...

What is your definition of "successful club racing"?

Mine was simple when I started... Don't hit anything and don't get anyone mad enough at me to chase me through the paddock with a wrench.

I had no delusions of podiums and sought only to stay out of trouble (and other folks' way) until my skill level rose and I became skilled at the wheel-to-wheel bit.

I still have no delusions of podiums (yet), at least here in F-stock, but am having a blast running with similar cars and skill levels every where I go. Do I want to finish first? You bet your a$$ I do! But that's not my definition of "successful" just yet.

In the meantime, I've gotta get faster, make the car faster, and try to beat folks I respect. That's my current definition of "successful club racing" and it's working well and providing a ton of satisfaction.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:18 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Bob, now I understand Colin better..... But if club racing has **** stars, they weren't at Summit in the rain, did they make it to Daytona???????

Boston, good to be enthusiastic, but have someone ground you and set realistic timeline/goals. I helped a client get into DE a year 1-1/2 years ago. I think he could club race end of 2007 based on his advancement. Were helping him find a car properly prepared over the winter. I think he will do fine, but the only reason he will be ready is seat time. Having retired early in life and plenty of time/funding on hand, he has managed double the average track time of most drivers. He also realizes how MUCH he still must learn/perfect/refine/........ His ego is now LESS inflated than his first track day and instead of buying a GT3, he picked up a low horse power car (instructors suggestion) and focused on learning skills this year.

One important note Colin mentions. You need "Chief Instructor's endorsement" to club race. This means you must be in his/her eye a top DE student/driver : safe, consistent, skilled, considerate.... and expect this endorsement to be taken seriously in their decision. Not knowing you, ask those who do, for an unbiased point of view of who, when, what, and why's of advancing. Knowing your very confident, ask for the most critical instructor to be paired with and having nothing held back or candied coated.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:43 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I have zero siblings. Anyway, the point was that once you've raced, DEs just aren't the same. At least that was the case for me. Others may have a different view.
It's true. DEs are still fun . . . but it is not the same as racing.
Old 11-05-2006, 09:55 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson
I'll go back to your original question and ask a question in return...

Mine was simple when I started... Don't hit anything and don't get anyone mad enough at me to chase me through the paddock with a wrench.

Mine was don't make anyone remember you.. I certainly wasn't fast enough for anyone to remember me, just didn't want to wreck or wreck someone and be remembered for that.

What was cute was my 3 year old daughter looked at me when I went out for my first session in my first Club Race at Mid Ohio and said "Daddy, don't wreck my car"
Old 11-05-2006, 10:33 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Nordschleife

J F D I

once you have the hang of that, the rest is easy

R+C
Pardon my ignorance, but could you elaborate?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:37 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
Colin, you still taking me for a lap in your turbo at Lime Rock next year right?
Old 11-05-2006, 10:41 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman

What was cute was my 3 year old daughter looked at me when I went out for my first session in my first Club Race at Mid Ohio and said "Daddy, don't wreck my car"
My 5 y.o. girl who would say the same thing.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Swanson

Dave, that is just wonderful imagery.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:22 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Pardon my ignorance, but could you elaborate?

Just F... Do It.

Don't over analyze if you are 100% ready or not. No one is ever 100% ready, listen to the advice Larry posted, practice in DE's techniques you would need for racing.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:40 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Just F... Do It.

Don't over analyze if you are 100% ready or not. No one is ever 100% ready, listen to the advice Larry posted, practice in DE's techniques you would need for racing.
TY (thank you)
Old 11-06-2006, 07:27 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Colin, you still taking me for a lap in your turbo at Lime Rock next year right?
Sure

Quick Reply: Successful club racing.....