Sponsored by:

Tracking with a Tiptronic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 11:07 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts
Default Tracking with a Tiptronic

Hello, I have a C2S Cab Tiptronic...I know, I know not the best Porsche to track with but.... wifey had to have a Cab and I do not have a left leg so I can't push a clutch in so that's why I have a Tipronic.
So now that you all understand that, does anyone have any advice, secrets or tips on driving a Tiptronic at Sebring? November 19th is my 1st time on a track and I am very excited but want to do good and learn as much as I can.
thanks, Mike
Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've DEed my tiptronic for years with great success! ..so no worries on taking a tip to the track!

Secret is to blip the gas BEFORE you need it so that the tip downshifts for you at the right time if you have it in D

If you leave it in manual mode, make sure you downshift arrow a few seconds before you actually need that gear (but don't downarrow too soon because the computer will ignore you if it feels the revs are in the danger zone for shifting)

I'm not sure that made any sense but the Tiptronic is fool proof basicly. Even in manual mode it will upshift if you reach redline (it won't let you bounce of the revlimiter). It also will prevent you from downshifting at the wrong time.

Basicly you never throw a rod or overrev with a Tip (so you can't blow up your engine at the track with a tip)

So go have fun!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by ceboyd
Basicly you never throw a rod or overrev with a Tip (so you can't blow up your engine at the track with a tip)
I've seen it happen once. There was a tip Boxster at Lime Rock this year that threw a rod and punched a hole right in the top of the case. Everyone was shocked it was a tip.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
I've seen it happen once. There was a tip Boxster at Lime Rock this year that threw a rod and punched a hole right in the top of the case. Everyone was shocked it was a tip.
Did it over rev? I am sure if a rod bolt was weak it could still throw a rod, nothing is 100%fool proof.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:10 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I've also been running my TIP for 4 years, and have no trouble, in fact, with the TIP, there is one less thing to worry about in the turns, downshifting! The only disconcerting thing is it shifts in the middle of a turn on occassion, which COULD upset the handling a bit, if it catches you off-guard.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by LouZ
I've also been running my TIP for 4 years, and have no trouble, in fact, with the TIP, there is one less thing to worry about in the turns, downshifting! The only disconcerting thing is it shifts in the middle of a turn on occassion, which COULD upset the handling a bit, if it catches you off-guard.
Will it do that even if in manual mode Lou? I always figured a tip would be great for left foot braking too.. I'm getting the 7spd DSG in the wife's M3 next year, should be interesting. If Porsche comes out with one I would even consider it in a new 911 or Caymen.
Old 11-03-2006, 10:39 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Will it do that even if in manual mode Lou? I always figured a tip would be great for left foot braking too.. I'm getting the 7spd DSG in the wife's M3 next year, should be interesting. If Porsche comes out with one I would even consider it in a new 911 or Caymen.
First off - my '90 C2 was the initial year for the TIP, it has only 5 computer program maps. I found that in manual, i was actually slower at the Glen before breaking for the busstop. Also, there is a delay or refusal to downshift if the revs are not just right (spun it at Jefferson 'cause I was too busy looking at the indicator light for the position of the gear before entering the turn).

What I'm stating is that after I start into the turn, and apply throttle, it might "lug" for an instant in the higher gear, then downshift! Not the smoothest transition to power!
Old 11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to have a 996 TT with a tip and tracked it with r-compounds a few times and it was fine.

I ran back to back my tip and a 6 speed and at MidOh they were within about .6 seconds in lap times with the same tires and both totally stock...

So have fun..

Norm
Old 11-03-2006, 11:16 AM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

HINT: I left my tip in DRIVE because I was also SLOWER with trying to shift myself.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:30 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Thanks for the tips on about the Tip! I play around with it in manual all the time and so far my 2006 shifts pretty quick and in manual has never shifted in the middle of a corner. I will be curious as to how the instructors handle me having to use my right leg for the accelerator and braking and a Tiptronic car. My past job was a drummer so I have excellent cordination with my limbs and hand eye cordination....we will see...and I am super excited about driving on Sebring!!!!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:23 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

My dad is in your area and has used a Tip on his TT for years. I heard that he finally is not the fast guy after years of being so. He just turned 83. No joke.

I thought the Tip was a compromise as I thought it was missing a gear on a C2. That probably isn't as much a factor on a TT.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:19 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Art is still embarrassing the cup car guys year after year. It was only last year I found out he has a tip. Amazing driver! This year may be different for him though with Buff getting a 997 GT-3!

mdrums: I don't think any instructor will be concerned with LFB (if that's what you meant). It is common in tips to drive that way.

See you all at Sebring!!
Old 11-07-2006, 12:36 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Only one tip I can think of (pun not intended) - if you spin and your instructor says "both feet in" try not to laugh; my student (hi Dave) at Mt. Tremblant didn't, and I am forever grateful to him. Boy, did I feel silly when I realized later that, of course, there is no pedal to put the left foot on!
Old 11-08-2006, 12:59 AM
bnewport
Racer

I've got 12 days with my 99 996 tip and I put my thoughts in to a web page.

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Drivi..._at_track_days
Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 984 Likes on 590 Posts

You'll really enjoy the car. With the students I've had, I found there first few days went better in a tip becuase they didn't have to concern themselves with shifting. Just leave it in drive and work on proper braking, acceleration, and the line. Have fun!

Quick Reply: Tracking with a Tiptronic