Timeline from Green to Black....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by }{arlequin
Boston,
since you're in new england i'm guessing you're gonna be doing a lot of laps at NHIS. it is a good place to learn. it's where i first started. if you think you want more trackdays other than pca, you can join and run de's and tt's w/ www.comscc.org they're a good, well organized club and the format is very similar to pca's.

as for your advancement/learning, i think you can start by reading every thread in this forum that's been started by TD

there's not much to add to what's been said, other than tracktime tracktime and more tracktime. the fact that you don't know (yet) which instructor to go with tells it all. when you drive enough times, you WILL know which instructor suits you. it may be b/c of a similar car. it may be b/c of most agressive style. or, it may be b/c he's got 100hp less than you and still lapping you. with a passenger

don't worry about being the fastest in your group right now. it doesn't mean all that much. yet.
people learn at different pace and the slow guy now may be faster than you by the time you both get to the next run group. if you're getting stuck behind cars, it's the perfect time to start working on timing your passing. look far enough ahead and you'll know you don't have to go wot on the straight b/c you'll catch him in a corner or some other 'no passing' zone. doesn't help you. instead, lift off the gas and see if you can time your pass same as your trackout point.

is your rpm at the trackout same every time? if not, consistency is a great quality which will help you in car setup later on. good luck. ...oh yeah.... pass the crackpipe.
I just signed up for lime rock, are you going to be there ?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:39 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
no, i'm residing further south (d.c.) these days and haven't been at a new england track in a while now. i do want to revisit nhis, though. would love to see what would i do differently there with the knowledge i've gained.

i'm sure it's unnecessary to even mention this, but keep us posted. it'll be fun to see your progress

by the way,
seeing that you're from n.andover, i'm suddenly getting a HUUUGE craving for harrison's roast beef
Old 11-01-2006, 06:48 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill N
I like this, and thought I'd pass it on, FWIW:

TRY SOFTER

A young boy traveled across Japan to the school of a famous martial artist. When he arrived at the dojo he was given an audience by the sensie.

"What do you wish from me?" the master asked.

"I wish to be your student and become the finest karateka in the land," the boy replied. "How long must I study?"

"Ten years at least," the master answered.

"Ten years is a long time," said the boy. "What if I studied twice as hard as all your other students?"

"Twenty years," replied the master.

"Twenty years! What if I practice day and night with all my effort?"

"Thirty years," was the master's reply.

"How is it that each time I say I will work harder, you tell me that it will take longer?" the boy asked.

"The answer is clear. When one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the Way."

--Anonymous
Brilliant. That is exactly right.

With respect to cheese, all i do is cut it

I am not an expert by any means and have never claimed to be one . . . I am just a fellow addict, and a relative newbie at that!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:55 PM
Fastatlast
Track Day

My personal philosophy in DE is that I am happy to be able to drive my car on a racetrack- any track, in any group. The experience of doing it is what's important and the more you do it, the better you get at it. If you are with a good region with instructors who are paying attention, you'll move up.

I never asked to be "checked out" or evaluated for a higher group but by my third season I was in Black- getting passed by almost everyone!

In DE, being COMPETANT is far better than being COMPETITIVE. The competant guys usually go faster... the competitive guys usually go "off"

Have fun learning- push yourself and your car in small increments- you'll be asked to instruct before you know it.
Old 11-01-2006, 07:36 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BostonDMD,
Have you given any thought of safety modifications to your car (racing shells, 6 points, H&N restraint, kill switches, fire system, etc) during your run from Green to Black, or is it your intention of taking the Cayman S in stock form to Black?
Old 11-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Stop by, i'm pretty easy to find...
Old 11-01-2006, 08:09 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

During the last two runs he told me to turn the PSM off as it was intervening a bit too soon and thus preventing the minor drifts and rotations and since he felt I was pretty smooth.
Interesting thread, but based upon the above quote I would venture that your Instructor doesn't know what he is talking about.

If PSM in an 06/07 car is intervening, it means only one thing...you are not being smooth enough. The limits are set so high that you can rip around the track smoothly without 06/07 PSM intervening, they do it at Barber all the time.

There are a lot of old notions about PSM that simply are not true...be careful out there, and chose your God wisely!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:25 PM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I am suprised that no one recommended autox for newbies.

I personally think autox is one of the fastest ways to learn car control, smoothness and looking ahead. I have autox'd for several years, I think it makes me smoother on the track and much more in tune with what the car is doing. It is also safe way to have competition and in getting my advancement urges in check. Especially, if you get other Boxsters and Caymans in events, that is a good way of comparing your own driving skills. Autox teaches a tremendous amount in a safe manner, which the skills transfer directly to the track IMHO.

I have not experienced in other event but autoxes that slower driving actually results in smoother control, which in turn becomes faster
Old 11-01-2006, 09:10 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Boston

I'll be at LRP next week with CVR as well (in white). My friend Joel will be there as well with his track prepped Cayman S. You should stop by and see all the work he's done to his Cayman (and all the work you'll be doing once you start really heading down the slope).

FWIW, this is my first year of doing DE and I had about 15 days completed when I was moved to white. I moved from green to yellow after about 5 days.

One other thought about progression. I have a friend who is the head of instruction at Skip Barber at LRP. He's going to be there with CVR next week doing private instruction and his services are around $150 per session. I had a session with him last time I was at LRP and I learned a ton. The instructors with PCA are really good at what they do, but having a pro who does this for a living (instructing, not just driving) is really a whole different ball game. It might be too early just yet, but I highly recommend considering it in the future.
Old 11-01-2006, 09:25 PM
Brian A.
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957 356
I have a friend who is the head of instruction at Skip Barber at LRP.
Is that Phil you're talking about?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:29 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks 38D and Gary for the words of advice, hopefully all will go well.

38D You made a good point about going slower in November, about the same time last year i did an autox and spun on 3 out of my 5 runs because i tried pushing it as hard as i do in the summer. Should i increase my tire pressures because they won't be heating up as much?
Old 11-01-2006, 09:40 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Being Competitive and Competent are not mutually exclusive traits. One can be competitive and not have the “red haze” that blinds them to common sense, listening to coaching, etc. Any athlete that has ever progressed in their chosen sport must have a certain level of competitiveness, but at the same time must be able to harness and channel it into focus, commitment, etc. If they can't get it under control, they will never "make it", but conversely, they also can't "make it" if they don't have that competitive drive.

So lets not make it so black and white. One can have goals that they strive to meet, but also have the patience, humility, and focus it takes to make those goals. Most "red haze" competitive students I have seen, typically don't stick with DE's - they get frustrated and don't have the patience, commitment, etc., to stick with it. Let's face it, one needs to be seriously committed (pun intended) to stick with and excel in this crazy expensive, all consuming hobby, and there has to be some driving force behind that commitment – I feel it is competitiveness. “Because I don’t have anything better to do today” might be enough motivation to blow an afternoon on the golf course, but it’s typically not going to cause one to stay up to 3AM on a Saturday night fixing xyz part on the track car so that they can get 1-1/2 hrs of track time the next day.
Old 11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by briana
Is that Phil you're talking about?
Rob
Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Colm
If PSM in an 06/07 car is intervening, it means only one thing...you are not being smooth enough. The limits are set so high that you can rip around the track smoothly without 06/07 PSM intervening, they do it at Barber all the time.
I can get PSM to kick on the street by just a little bit of left foot braking. It's unbelievably annoying and, yes, PSM is turned off. So, PSM being activated has nothing to do with smoothness.
Old 11-01-2006, 11:23 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ltc
BostonDMD,
Have you given any thought of safety modifications to your car (racing shells, 6 points, H&N restraint, kill switches, fire system, etc) during your run from Green to Black, or is it your intention of taking the Cayman S in stock form to Black?
Itc, good to hear from you again.
I want to eventually transform my CaymanS into a dedicated track car, but not exactly sure how to do it.
Can you be of any help since you a fellow MA?

P.S. are you going to be at Lime Rock on Nov. 11th?

Quick Reply: Timeline from Green to Black....