Sponsored by:

Timeline from Green to Black....

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 04:01 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC

P.S. How did you wad up the two skippy cars?.
West Bend and the uphill at Lime Rock, in my racing school days. TTO the first time; breaking a bit too late the second. Live and learn....

Just try to keep your day job so that you are not forced into a life of petty crimes and walking the streets to support your "habit."
There will always be women who need their smiles rejuvinated and being self -employed helps....
Old 11-01-2006, 04:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How many racing schools have you taken? Were all of them with Skippy?

And yes, being self-employed helps.
Old 11-01-2006, 04:13 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

How many racing schools have you taken? Were all of them with Skippy?

And yes, being self-employed helps.
Just Skippys entire racing program and their advanced car control clinic, but that doesn't matter.

I am in the Green group (with a measly Cayman S) and proud of it!!!
Old 11-01-2006, 04:17 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by BostonDMD
Just Skippys entire racing program and their advanced car control clinic, but that doesn't matter.

I am in the Green group (with a measly Cayman S) and proud of it!!!

So you did the three day racing school and the one day advanced car control clinic (which is what both I and Chris -- Phokaioglaukos -- have done), or did you do additional programs with them (e.g., the advanced 2 day racing school)?
Old 11-01-2006, 04:33 PM
Conekiller
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hi guys i'm really glad i found this thread because i am thinking about moving up from green to yellow at the November 11th De at LRP.
Tell me if you thing i'm ready

I have a track prepped 87 911 I've been autoxing for the past two years, this is my first year tracking the car i've done two DE's with it. The first with the hudson valley club pca where green and yellow are combined, i learned a lot that day, i was the fastest car in both groups, and my instructor told me that i should do one more DE then think about moving up. The second day with cvr, my instructor told me that i should start thinking about getting a check out ride.

Now for the bad stuff, I'm 18, i'm very competitive and a little overconfident(who isn't at 18), which my instructors told me was something i need to work on.

I love having an instructor in my car because i learn so much from them and they keep me in check, however i get really frustrated in the green group because there are always trains and that guy in the 996tt who slams on his brakes mid corner when i am right behind him to give him the message to let me pass, then steps on it when he hits the straight leaving me in the dust

So taking all that into consideration what do you think?

Thanks
Mike
Old 11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
John Brown
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, you actually have track days approaching or into 2 digits. Ah, forgot to mention that. So, progression to the next run group is actually about as expected for an average student. And, backhanded comments not withstanding, everyone knows the Cayman S is not underpowered. And trashed 2 cars getting this far.

Only experienced advanced instructors need apply. Hang on.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:00 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

So you did the three day racing school and the one day advanced car control clinic (which is what both I and Chris -- Phokaioglaukos -- have done), or did you do additional programs with them (e.g., the advanced 2 day racing school)?
Yes, I did the ADV2, but how does that matter?

I am still running in the Green group

P.S. are you an attorney?
Old 11-01-2006, 05:02 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 787 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekiller
hi guys i'm really glad i found this thread because i am thinking about moving up from green to yellow at the November 11th De at LRP.

I have a track prepped 87 911 I've been autoxing for the past two years, this is my first year tracking the car i've done two DE's with it. The first with the hudson valley club pca where green and yellow are combined, i learned a lot that day, i was the fastest car in both groups, and my instructor told me that i should do one more DE then think about moving up. The second day with cvr, my instructor told me that i should start thinking about getting a check out ride.

Now for the bad stuff, I'm 18, i'm very competitive and a little overconfident(who isn't at 18), which my instructors told me was something i need to work on.

I love having an instructor in my car because i learn so much from them and they keep me in check, however i get really frustrated in the green group because there are always trains and that guy in the 996tt who slams on his brakes mid corner when i am right behind him to give him the message to let me pass, then steps on it when he hits the straight leaving me in the dust

So taking all that into consideration what do you think?

If 2 instructors have said you are ready to try a check out ride, you probably are. I say go for it.

As for your self acknowledged ego, if you can harness it, it can actually be a good thing. It will give you the desire to get better. And when you eventually come racing, having a bigger set actually helps. Just don’t become too cocky, as being fast in green or yellow doesn’t mean squat (DE and fast just don’t belong in the same sentence).

Also, make sure you fully understand the consequences of going to the track. Unless you are happy driving well below the limit, sooner or later you will crash your car. Just make sure you can handle the potential financial impact of a crash, which could easily exceed $10k to fix. It’s not highly likely when you are a beginner, but it does happen.

Now for the bad news. As a young guy, you will definitely get your fair share of prejudice. There are some that think that anyone that can actually operate a computer, or knows the difference between Gen X and Y is too young and therefore dangerous. Don't let it get to you. They are just old and slow .

One last thing. Lime Rock in November is not going to be fast. The temps will be down, so don’t expect to be turning mid summer time. Push it within reason. I may come up to instruct, but not drive.
Old 11-01-2006, 05:08 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Yes, I did the ADV2, but how does that matter?
just curious since I and others here have gone through the Skippy school as well.
Old 11-01-2006, 06:08 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Conekiller
Thanks
Mike
Mike, if a couple instructors feel you are ready then ask for a check out at the LRP event. A senior instructor will ride with you (evaluate) in Green, then (usually, and if you get past #1) the chief instructor will ride with you (required 2nd eval) in Yellow.

Recess is at 12:00... OOps!

Sincerly,
Slow(old) Gary
Old 11-01-2006, 06:10 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

If your skills are there, you will advance to higher run groups. Let your dirving do the talking. If you want to get really good, get a low HP car to learn on. I started in a 944 NA and sure I was frustrated in green and blue when the higher HP cars walked away on the straights. Looking back, starting in a car that forced me to learn the importance of momentum made me a better driver when I made the jump into a 911.

And listen to everything TD says
Old 11-01-2006, 06:18 PM
BostonDMD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Carrera51
If your skills are there, you will advance to higher run groups. Let your dirving do the talking. If you want to get really good, get a low HP car to learn on. I started in a 944 NA and sure I was frustrated in green and blue when the higher HP cars walked away on the straights. Looking back, starting in a car that forced me to learn the importance of momentum made me a better driver when I made the jump into a 911.

And listen to everything TD says
Mark, thanks for your input!

And I hope my comments didn't **** TD off, I guess he is the big cheese.
What do I know?
Old 11-01-2006, 06:21 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mark, thanks for your input!

And I hope my comments didn't **** TD off, I guess he is the big cheese.
What do I know?
He is just regular cheese!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:23 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ROFLMAO... introducing "the rat race" starring TD as 'the cheese' hahaha!!
Old 11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
Bill N
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like this, and thought I'd pass it on, FWIW:

TRY SOFTER

A young boy traveled across Japan to the school of a famous martial artist. When he arrived at the dojo he was given an audience by the sensie.

"What do you wish from me?" the master asked.

"I wish to be your student and become the finest karateka in the land," the boy replied. "How long must I study?"

"Ten years at least," the master answered.

"Ten years is a long time," said the boy. "What if I studied twice as hard as all your other students?"

"Twenty years," replied the master.

"Twenty years! What if I practice day and night with all my effort?"

"Thirty years," was the master's reply.

"How is it that each time I say I will work harder, you tell me that it will take longer?" the boy asked.

"The answer is clear. When one eye is fixed upon your destination, there is only one eye left with which to find the Way."

--Anonymous

Quick Reply: Timeline from Green to Black....