Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seats - FIA approval - What exactly does it mean?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 01:08 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Seats - FIA approval - What exactly does it mean?

I am cruising the web and finding name brand seat like Sparco, Cobra Momo and OMP that recline but are not FIA approved. I think theay are TUV approved - whatever that means.

How much more "dangerous" are these seats than the factory seats for DE purposes? The car (951) is a weekend toy/DE toy, and just the thought of three hours in a fixed back seat makes my back hurt.

Is a non FIA approved reclining seat really much less safe than a 259 FIA approved seat from the same company?

I am not referring to the $150 seats that have cool holes in them but the $600 seats from real manufacturers.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure lots of folks will respond with advice to your question, but I had to respond to this:

and just the thought of three hours in a fixed back seat makes my back hurt.
It's kind of a misconception that a race seat (fixed back) is a back-breaker. It's all about the fit. I had a nice OMP carbon-fiber/Kevlar one piece seat in my 944 turbo which was driven on the street and I found it very comfortable. I even drove the car out to Mid Ohio (an 8 hour trip) and didn't feel any the worse for wear. I liked the seat so much that when the 44 was stolen and totaled I put the seat into my 911 and raced it with that seat for many years.

In my current race car, I have a custom built aluminum seat. Looking at that you would think it was a torture device, all metal and minimum padding. But I do 90 minute enduros in it and feel great. Once again it's all about the right fit.

Of course if I was tracking a car I would put in a one piece seat, harnesses and roll bar (really cage) and a HANS device, but that's a whole nuther discussion....
Old 10-30-2006, 01:22 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

FIA = racing approved

TUV = German Road car standards. Similar to DOT, but with much more strict standards.

Now what this means is just as it sounds however just because it is FIA does not mean it is TUV. In fact many FIA race parts are NOT TUV approved. For US street car TUV or FIA are just fine, but even then it my not be DOT approved and thus not "street legal" in the US.

With respect fixed seat backs. I run a sparco pro2000 race seat in my race car. I love it and find it very comfortable. I don't street drive the car, but I think it would be fine for long street drives. Where it becomes a problem is access to the rear and getting in and out. Both of which are not as good as regular road seats. I think the best compromise is the 951 sport seats for street only seats. For a track car you really want a seat with proper harness mounting holes and with a roll bar the back seats are useless so the need for a folding seat becomes even less.

If you are concerned about the upright angle remember that seats with side mounts you can angle the entire seat a bit thus creating a recline angle, but maintaining the fixed seat bottom to back relationship. Do sit in these seats before you buy. I say in some Momo seats and simply did not like the way they fit. The sparco was perfect. Also remember that when it comes to race seats each seat model is cut differently even within a manufacture. So a pro2000 may fit perfect, but the Evo may not.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:28 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by M758
FIA = racing approved

TUV = German Road car standards. Similar to DOT, but with much more strict standards.

Now what this means is just as it sounds however just because it is FIA does not mean it is TUV. In fact many FIA race parts are NOT TUV approved. For US street car TUV or FIA are just fine, but even then it my not be DOT approved and thus not "street legal" in the US.
Sounds like the Hella H-4s I had in my cars over the last 20+ years. Not DOT approved, but they lit the road up a Hellalot better than the sylvanias that came with the RX7s and 944s I had.

So if it is TUV, is it safe to assume it is at least as "safe" as the 18 year old factory seat.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:36 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey;

The articulated sports seats can be a good compromise, or not. Sometimes they work OK, or you find they do neither very well. Too hard for street, not enough bolster for track. The real kicker with 1-piece seats is rear seat access. You also do not have the ability to move around much on a long trip. However, one that fits right and is properly installed can be exceptionally comfortable.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:40 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

what is an articulated sport seat? is that a reclining seat? If so, and i find a nice TUV rated seat...
Old 10-30-2006, 01:41 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
what is an articulated sport seat? is that a reclining seat? ...
YES
Old 10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

So if i get an articulated sport seat from a reputable manufacturer like sparco or corbeau and cut a sub hole in it, am i "good to go" for DEs?

i think corbeau says they use recaro mechanisms in their propoganda.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't imagine how modifying a seat would keep it legal. You may be "good to go" for DE's but I wouldn't do it.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mitch236
I can't imagine how modifying a seat would keep it legal. You may be "good to go" for DE's but I wouldn't do it.
upholstery shops cut holes in the foam and sew a piece in for the sub hole. Recaro sells the seat with or without the sub hole and there does not appear to be any structural difference. and the recaro is FIA approved.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:39 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't realize the structural part was already there. No problem with doing almost anything to the coverings. I thought you wanted to cut the seat.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:48 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is an Fia seat that folds?
Old 10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mitch236
I didn't realize the structural part was already there. No problem with doing almost anything to the coverings. I thought you wanted to cut the seat.
I may cut a hole in the foam and the upholstery. not cut the frame. from what i am reading if the sub belt is mounted to the floor and it goes through the seat, the seat doesnt have much to do with the belt. now if it was mounted to the seat frame and i cut that........

I thought the recaro speed/recaro srd was FIA approved but someone from a store just told me otherwise. so if i want a reclining seat it wont be FIA approved.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

You can use a 6 point harness instead of a 5 point harness. The difference is that you don't run the two sub straps of a 6 point thru the seat, you mount them at the side and sit on them.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
So if i get an articulated sport seat from a reputable manufacturer like sparco or corbeau and cut a sub hole in it, am i "good to go" for DEs?

i think corbeau says they use recaro mechanisms in their propoganda.
My buddy just put the Recaro Speed 5 seats in his 968 (black cloth/red stitching). They look awesome and have the hole for a sub strap from the factory. They are great for someone of average size.

Quick Reply: Seats - FIA approval - What exactly does it mean?