Sponsored by:

nascar door bars in a 968

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 09:58 AM
dave968M3
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default nascar door bars in a 968

I am having a cage installed in my 968 in 2 wks and wondered if anyone can post a picture of how they cut out the door panel to fit the nascar bars and still allow the window to be operated to open and close? Or correct if this can't be done.
Thanks
Dave
Old 10-28-2006, 10:49 AM
cooz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 968 custom cage has a single side door bar that bends outward toward door panel for improved driver clearance.

contact rich glickel...i believe his car has nascar style side bars...you can find posts from rich in the 968 and racing web forums

norm mandell
Old 10-28-2006, 10:51 AM
cooz
Pro

btw..if you intend to race pca stock class, i believe you'll need to retain door panel...otherwise, you could probably simply remove door panel for imroved clearance for nascar style side bars
Old 10-28-2006, 10:52 AM
bnewport
Racer

I saw a 944 S2 with NASCAR style bars here, I think it was Jim Bryants car. He did PCA but not sure which class. The door panels were gone as I remember.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:21 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think you can lose the driver's door panel in PCA for this reason, but someone more current than me will tell us for certain.
Old 10-28-2006, 12:13 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 171 Posts

I think this is from the current PCA Stock Class rules, but hit the website to be sure:

The driver’s side door panel and window glass may be removed to facilitate the installation of side impact protection.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I am out of town, but can post some pictures of my setup when I get home tomorrow. My drivers door panel is stripped of the map pocket and armrest. The door bars bend out a bit and are flush with the panel. Keeps the window operational which I wanted. I mounted a nylon strap to the door panel as a door pull now that the armrest is gone.

If you really gut the door as allowed by rules you lose window operation, which to me would be a PITA.
Old 10-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Clem
Racer

I have the same setup as Mike and Norm.
Used older 944 door panels to replace the 968 ones as they look more finished when removing the armrest.
I assume with a full Nascar basket you will lose your window, and will have to have a lexan replacement that pops/snaps in and out.
If you want to be able to lock the car, use the windows, etc. I think a Nascar basket will be an obstacle.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:06 PM
Rough_Rider
Track Day

I'd advise doing some research on Nascar door bar failures.
There's a trend in rollcages to stay with a simplier X brace as the straight tubes resist inward bending in a direct side impoact.

The nascar style bars hava tendency to deform inwards to the same distance as they were originally manufatured to sit into the door recess.

IMO i'd go with the simplier, stronger & lighter X brace.
Old 10-28-2006, 04:04 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rough_Rider
I'd advise doing some research on Nascar door bar failures.
There's a trend in rollcages to stay with a simplier X brace as the straight tubes resist inward bending in a direct side impoact.

The nascar style bars hava tendency to deform inwards to the same distance as they were originally manufatured to sit into the door recess.

IMO i'd go with the simplier, stronger & lighter X brace.
What he said +1. Look at a Cup car.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:00 PM
993944S2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 33 Posts

I have Jim Bryant's old car. Well I kind of have it. We stripped it today and the junk man comes to get it on Monday. Anyways, here are some pictures of the Nascar bars in the doors. PCA allows you to modify the door panels for "safety" reasons. No, you can no longer use the window. I have a lexan side window cut that I use during transport.

OK. So I can't upload the pictures. Send me a PM and I will email them to whoever wants them. Or I can send someone the pictures and they can post them.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:04 PM
TonyN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dave968M3
I am having a cage installed in my 968 in 2 wks and wondered if anyone can post a picture of how they cut out the door panel to fit the nascar bars and still allow the window to be operated to open and close? Or correct if this can't be done.
Thanks
Dave
Custom cage in my old 968 Firehawk. Driver's window not functional, but door latch works. I had a Lexan window built to slide into frame for washing and/outside car storage. Passenger door/window is still fully functioning electric. Scrut signed my PCA log book saying NASCAR bars were OK. As someone else mentioned this is now legal as spelled out in PCA rules.
Attached Images   
Old 10-28-2006, 07:14 PM
f1rocks
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had my cage built by the same guys that did Jim Bryant's/993944S2's car.

I too use the plexiglass window but have fabbed a nice method to hold the window in the track, if you go that route get a hold of me and I'll fab you the same system. It takes about 30 seconds to put the window in and it's held at high speed just fine.
Old 10-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Mike Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

see attached. not the best angle to gauge how far out it sticks, but look at how it runs parallel to the door sill.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: nascar door bars in a 968