Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOOSIER S06'S

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006 | 03:34 PM
David K.
Pro

I feel that the R6's are way faster then the RA1.
Old 10-27-2006 | 03:36 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by David K.
I feel that the R6's are way faster then the RA1.
yeah, but who cares at a DE . . . which was my point.

At races, I use hoosiers.

At DEs, I see no point for using anything better than RA1s, but that's just my own personal opinion.
Old 10-27-2006 | 04:30 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TD in DC
yeah, but who cares at a DE . . . which was my point.

At races, I use hoosiers.

At DEs, I see no point for using anything better than RA1s, but that's just my own personal opinion.
I agree, although my bet is over 80% of Red drivers are on Hohos (DE), but too much $ for me. I have been on RA-1s for just over two years and love them.

I have some R6s that were supposed to go on for the club race, but they will now be DE tire$. I will probably try the R6s next weekend (and VIR the following), but will have my RAs on for most of the event as I know I still have at least a second to find w/ the RAs. Ivan showed me that.

I will try to keep better records, but my last set of RA-1s heat cycled out around 45-50. Still tread, but no grip.
Old 10-27-2006 | 04:46 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Hoosier_Daddy
Bull --

Oh God! Not that old "Rhinoceros-on-a-wet-clay-bank" feeling!

Seriously... thanks for the advise. If there is ANY problem I know just where to find you in the paddock!!

FYI - with the Hoosier GAC tires I was getting exactly a 10 pound rise.

HD
HD, didn't mean to shock you with any old memories!

We will see what the temps are at VIR and adjust from there. Last four years it has been like two different days between morning and afternoon. Then when the las tcar is off the track at 5:00pm, you are exactly right when you say...
Old 10-27-2006 | 05:36 PM
jim3
Instructor

The term as orignally written in Car & Driver was "corners like a pregnant rhinoceros on a wet clay bank".
Old 10-27-2006 | 07:14 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mark,

Just out of curiosity, why not just use Toyos for DEs and save those slicks for if and when you start racing? Seems like Toyos get you 90-95% there and they last so much longer that the cost differential is remarkable. No reason to squeeze those last few seconds out at a DE, no?
Todd,
I did try some 17" last year which were not shaved and I think they need to be shaved for maximum grip. There seemed to be a lot of tread squirm. (the MAW event at Pocono with RTR was wet and one of the guys used them for his rains and was very squirley in the banking.) But I know they last a long time

I decided to go back to the 16" due to the cars gearing and the reduced throttle lag out of the corners. Also I have been going on Pete's recomendations since we set the car up like his Rothman's car, which is the best handling of Ron Tedjins stable of cups.

Now you guys have me concerned, what I might do is see if I can find a set of used fronts to go with the rear S04's and save the S06's for next year when I get some rears to match. The car is not really hard on tires and I allways L/R switch them at the track and then every two events flip them on the rim. You know I just promised my wife i would be getting rid of some tires. Back to the jewlery store.
Old 10-27-2006 | 07:16 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Shaved RA1s . . . save the guns for the gunfight . . .
Old 10-27-2006 | 07:48 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

I have some Hoosier 17's in the garage you can have, come pick em up. S03/4 my guess. lots of tread left.
Old 10-27-2006 | 10:12 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jim3
The term as orignally written in Car & Driver was "corners like a pregnant rhinoceros on a wet clay bank".
The term as originally used in the late '60s and early '70s by Milt Minter around the paddock had no pregnancy involved. I'm sure C&D modified for their own quote.......
Old 10-28-2006 | 10:04 AM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

have some Hoosier 17's in the garage you can have, come pick em up. S03/4 my guess. lots of tread left.
Thanks Bob, but I have 2 sets of 16" wheels and no longer have the 17's."
Mark
Old 10-28-2006 | 07:09 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Then when the las tcar is off the track at 5:00pm, you are exactly right when you say...
Bull --

And don't forget the stogies! I should have some Cohibas, Macanudos and a few Partagas with me... Pick your posion! Maybe even an Onyx or two if you're into that rating thing!!! Let me know.

Can't wait.

- HD
Old 10-28-2006 | 07:45 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Bull --

And don't forget the stogies! I should have some Cohibas, Macanudos and a few Partagas with me... Pick your posion! Maybe even an Onyx or two if you're into that rating thing!!! Let me know.

Can't wait.

- HD
My wife bought me a portable humidor, so always. I'm not picky and will check my stock next week. Likely La Gloria Cubanas and Upmans and......who knows. I am definitely not picky...maybe a single malt and some stinky cheeses will be in the cooler too.

Bound to make those Hoosiers work correctly!
Old 10-28-2006 | 08:16 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Bull --

Can't wait.

- HD
That sounds like my packing list. Hmmmm birds of a feather . . .
Old 10-28-2006 | 08:26 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by TD in DC
That sounds like my packing list. Hmmmm birds of a feather . . .
Close, but the young fellow forgot the cold Sierra Nevada. I'll help him out though.

Hey HD, how many psi do you suppose we need if we both are in the same car?
Old 10-28-2006 | 09:47 PM
ZBlue996Kam
Pro

I have some Hoosier 17's in the garage you can have, come pick em up. S03/4 my guess. lots of tread left.
I want them!

Kam

Quick Reply: HOOSIER S06'S