Sponsored by:

Are all Spins/Offs Created Equal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:30 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by smlporsche
So I guess it depends on your trackside ettiquette. If you act like a jerk you should be treated like one.
Sounds plenty fair to me . . . In my experience, it becomes clear by the end of the first day whether there are any potential "problem" drivers at the event . . .

If you are suspected of being a "problem" driver, you should be given a choice: fix the problem or go home.
Old 10-23-2006, 06:36 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think all the problem drivers should be gathered up and 'be made' to have a shootout at the end of first day. that way you can be sure someone is *definitely* going home that day. on a flatbed. just helping in thinning the herd.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
For instance:
last time at summit point, WOT though 4 and down into 5 as i was reeling in a miata. What happened, i simply didnt brake hard enough and locked up the rears, hit the concrete and spun off into the grass (The corner workers gave me a round of applause even ). This was just me trying to push the car, and i learned a LOT doing that.
wait.... summit is my home track and i've seen plenty of strange things happen there, but are you sure your car is healthy? maybe you have a sticky caliper or a busted seal and the piston is not retracting. i'm not sure whether it is correct for a car to lock up the rear brakes if you're NOT braking hard enough. usually the rears lock up if you *do* brake hard enough, actually too hard. but the opposite sounds strange...

did the car get checked out at tech?

a lot of people end up spinning to the inside (left) in T5, and if you don't brake hard enough you just go straight into lawnmower mode. which way did that spin you?
Old 10-23-2006, 07:18 PM
rmag
Three Wheelin'

Received 50 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
I promise i'll be much nicer when you stop spinning right after you pass me. I know you are trying to impress me, but jeez . . .

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...13103791810945
+1 for TD
-1 for }{

Old 10-23-2006, 07:20 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by rmag
+1 for TD
-1 for }{

Old 10-23-2006, 07:42 PM
RedlineMan
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read between the lines, Boys;

I'll say it again. No rule is cast in stone. You will find that this one is not either. It is a good rule, properly applied. They happen to apply it properly, in my experience.

If you have an off of some kind, and can relate what happened in a lucid, calm, and scientific manner, I'm sure that this is taken into consideration and given full weight.

If, for example, you had a moment and chose to drive off into the grass instead of chancing a spin, then they would certainly take that into account. There is NO ONE there that is a safety ****. There are a lot of people there that have an interest in keeping everyone safe, clean, and on track. They have a lot of very fast cars, and a lot of very "motivated" individuals. Tone is important.

The rule is intended to lend gravity and seriousness, not scare people away. It is far better to know going in that you will be watched, than to find out after the fact that you were being watched, that you are over their line, and that you are going home.

For what it's worth, I don't even belong to their region. I do happen to do a lot of their events, and can tell you that they run a VERY good program. Any fears enumerated here are utterly groundless unless you are indeed a bonehead.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:44 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by RedlineMan
Read between the lines, Boys;

I'll say it again. No rule is cast in stone. You will find that this one is not either. It is a good rule, properly applied. They happen to apply it properly, in my experience.

If you have an off of some kind, and can relate what happened in a lucid, calm, and scientific manner, I'm sure that this is taken into consideration and given full weight.

If, for example, you had a moment and chose to drive off into the grass instead of chancing a spin, then they would certainly take that into account. There is NO ONE there that is a safety ****. There are a lot of people there that have an interest in keeping everyone safe, clean, and on track. They have a lot of very fast cars, and a lot of very "motivated" individuals. Tone is important.

The rule is intended to lend gravity and seriousness, not scare people away. It is far better to know going in that you will be watched, than to find out after the fact that you were being watched, that you are over their line, and that you are going home.

For what it's worth, I don't even belong to their region. I do happen to do a lot of their events, and can tell you that they run a VERY good program. Any fears enumerated here are utterly groundless unless you are indeed a bonehead.
This is nearly word for word what I have been passing along informally to my friends . . .
Old 10-23-2006, 10:20 PM
VaSteve
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau

I further agree with Z that spins don't belong at DE nor does the kind of driving that leads to a spin. I make a clear distinction between DE and "practice for racing". Some guys come to DE and drive the same way they would in a race. It's fine with me as long as they have good track etiquette and stay in control.

"The kind of driving that leads to a spin?" You mean performance driving?

I spun my car at VIR. I came into turn 1 too hot after passing someone, and lifted because I punked out. Both I an the instructor laughed it off and it served as a nice example in the classroom session. It didn't happen there again because I babied it through the rest of the weekend. Some of the other guys that know me know that I'm certainly not training for racing, but in order to get faster, I need to push it a little harder. I don't fear the spin as much as I fear silly rules.

I have only ever seen one guy get sent home (that I know about) because he was having a rough day (spun and tapped the tire wall) and his head must have been elsewhere (exited the car on a hot track). He still got to come back on Sunday.

Asshat driving is asshat driving and shouldn't need an arbitrary 2 spins and pack it in rule. I'd like to do a NNJR event, I know a lot of you guys from Pelican or here, but don't want to have to worry about silly rules while honing my skillz.

I'll let the lawyers sort this one out....is this 50% of a spin here? Can I do it 3 more times?

Old 10-23-2006, 10:22 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by rmag
+1 for TD
-1 for }{

har har... very nice. how 'bout we start counting self-induced body damage?
Old 10-23-2006, 10:23 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

Originally Posted by VaSteve
"The kind of driving that leads to a spin?" You mean performance driving?

I spun my car at VIR. I came into turn 1 too hot after passing someone, and lifted because I punked out. Both I an the instructor laughed it off and it served as a nice example in the classroom session. It didn't happen there again because I babied it through the rest of the weekend. Some of the other guys that know me know that I'm certainly not training for racing, but in order to get faster, I need to push it a little harder. I don't fear the spin as much as I fear silly rules.

I have only ever seen one guy get sent home (that I know about) because he was having a rough day (spun and tapped the tire wall) and his head must have been elsewhere (exited the car on a hot track). He still got to come back on Sunday.

Asshat driving is asshat driving and shouldn't need an arbitrary 2 spins and pack it in rule. I'd like to do a NNJR event, I know a lot of you guys from Pelican or here, but don't want to have to worry about silly rules while honing my skillz.

I'll let the lawyers sort this one out....is this 50% of a spin here? Can I do it 3 more times?

i think you're good there, you're not kicking up dirt.

now, if you went to 10/10ths, there might be some things coming up.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Are all spins & offs created equally?

HELL, NO !!!

Mine tend to be spectacular, and several have been on national TV !!! And I have the videos to prove it !!!

Top that, you pantywaists !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:45 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TD, are your "friends" from a different planet? (joking) I never have gone to an event expecting to "spin/wreck". Ironically Larry made the statement early this year on a thread " odds of who will spin at their next event?" I said 50%, new suspension and cold track at VIR. 3rd day last run, right at the checker into oaktree, looped it, 360 both feet in, eye contact with the corner, kept going, pitted talked to Tom Bobbit, no worries. I had been pushing more and more into Oak tree and finding the limit. Not an intentional spin, but I was looking for the limit in specific areas and found one. PS. I lowered my times at VIR 2 secs that weekend . Tell them to go, but not spin fist session, wait until after lunch at least..................
Old 10-23-2006, 10:47 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by Veloce Raptor
Are all spins & offs created equally?

HELL, NO !!!

Mine tend to be spectacular, and several have been on national TV !!! And I have the videos to prove it !!!

Top that, you pantywaists !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I want to party with you
Old 10-23-2006, 10:48 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,416 Likes on 757 Posts

Hahahahahaha!!!
Old 10-23-2006, 10:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by bobt993
TD, are your "friends" from a different planet? (joking)
Yes they are, and sometimes annoying as hell to boot but, and it is a big but, I put up with them because they put up with me, which is no small feat . . .

If it weren't for the friends I make at track events, I probably wouldn't like the sport. More than half the fun is the competition and cameraderie that tends to follow when you get a bunch of good people in the same place.

Originally Posted by bobt993
Tell them to go, but not spin fist session, wait until after lunch at least..................
Great advice

Quick Reply: Are all Spins/Offs Created Equal?