It was lbs

http://www.devwebsphere.com/porsche/..._savings_.html
Old 10-17-2006, 03:38 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bnewport
Damn! You had me all excited there.

Is it going to be track only? I took a crapload of weight out of my 951 doors. Don't know to what extent you can go per Club Racing rules, but glass is damn heavy. Lots of rubber seals, window motors, reenforcing bars (putting in a cage?), etc.

If you're yanking mufflers, then you can pull the fender heat shields behind the rear wheels.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:02 PM
bowmanm98
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried not to jack your thread but I was wondering if the Tequipment rollbar is sufficient for running C stock? Also is So Cal the only one offering C stock races in California?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bowmanm98
I tried not to jack your thread but I was wondering if the Tequipment rollbar is sufficient for running C stock? Also is So Cal the only one offering C stock races in California?

dude. you need a cage for racing. it's crazy not to race without one. the teq roll bar doesn't pass PCA tech.

it's so weird that there is not PCA club racing on the west coast. POC runs races down south and PRC in norcal. seems like all the PRC races are GT class cars too, no stock or prepared cars. i think NASA is you best bet with GTS challenge. i actually like it better as far as car classification as it is HP/weight ratio.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:06 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by karlooz
sweet. looks like a 3.4L could mop up in D.
Actually there are some very fast cars in D. Ernie J's Cayman is almost as fast as the front running C cars and Colin's 964 turbo isn't far behind. You also have 964 us cup cars and the 944 turbo cup. I think the 3.4L will do well but it won't be doing too much mopping.
Jim
Old 10-17-2006, 08:14 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 812 Likes on 413 Posts

sweet. looks like a 3.4L could mop up in D.
Please come to Watkins Glen and let me know when you run 2:10.2

Originally Posted by JimB
Actually there are some very fast cars in D. Ernie J's Cayman is almost as fast as the front running C cars and Colin's 964 turbo isn't far behind. You also have 964 us cup cars and the 944 turbo cup. I think the 3.4L will do well but it won't be doing too much mopping.
Jim
Ernie and I are pretty even this year. He had me covered at Mosport & Daytona, and I was faster at Sebring & Watkins Glen. We were basically even at Lime Rock. The 3.4L 996s should be very similar. A well driven USA Cup will still be very formidable, as it is really no different than a C prepared RSA.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:17 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 38D
is that time any good
Old 10-17-2006, 09:06 PM
BBailey
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D
Before deciding the 3.4L 996's won't be overdogs in D, you might want to go check out Grand-Am Cup times from the tracks that PCA races at.

The set-up's for PCA stock and Grand-Am Cup are extremely similar. The 3.4L 996's in that series run at 2950 lbs (heavier than PCA), doesn't allow metallic suspension bushings (which PCA does allow), and restricts tire size (relative to PCA), though computer changes are allowed (which PCA disallows).

I think you will change your mind quickly.

FYI - 996's were running in the 2:06's the last time Grand-Am Cup ran at The Glen.
Old 10-17-2006, 09:14 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Are the Grand Am Cup tires more or less grippy than the Hoosiers that PCA racers use? I thought they were a harder compound for endurance.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:16 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Thank you everyone for your suggestions on how my 996 might lose some weight. Now, I will try to respond to everyone who asked me questions....

Greg - My interior is bone stock, except the the DAS Sport Roll Bar. Your idea about the speakers is a good one, although I did not order the premium speaker package from the Factory back in '99 I guess I can still remove the existing speakers, right?. My seat belt reels will definitely be coming out as I now have a 6-pt harness. As for the AC, I was trying to figure out from the rules what I can and can not remove. This past weekend at Daytona, I noticed many of the other C cars had what looked like their AC still intact. Of course, I could not get under or inside any of the cars to see if the lines were still there but that leads me to my next question. What can I remove from my AC and still be legal?? Thanks for the great reply!

tkerrmd (Tom) - Thanks for the Odyssey battery suggestion. I immediately looked them up and found a bunch of places that sell them. Now, if you could maybe give me a suggestion as to where you bought yours and more importantly, which one fits our cars?? Thanks!

38D (Colin) - first I want to say that it was AWESOME watching you this past weekend. Like many others on this board, I highlighed your entry and watched you throughout the race. I guess I have a vested interest in who will be spanking me IF (hopefully WHEN) the 3.4 liter 996s get moved to D Stock. Currently, I have one GT3 race seat on the driver side and the stock sport seat on the passenger side. I did take the passenger seat out for a few PBOC races last year and was amazed at how much the 52lb difference made, especially at tracks like Barber with so many long sweepers. I guess I need to get another GT3 seat to make my car complete, eh? You mentioned that I can not remove the AC.....not even the hoses?? Let me know. Thanks for the reply and thank you even more for the great entertainment this past weekend at Daytona! Congrats on your results too!

karlooz (Carlos) - I already have the muffler bypass pipes. As you probably read above, I need one more GT3 seat for the passenger side. Any suggestions on which steering wheels I might go with...Sparco or Momo and why? Again, which Odyssey Battery did you go with and how much does it weigh? Already have a set of Fikse FM10 Race Wheels as well as a set of CCW Classic wheels. Removing the Stereo equipment....is that legal? Can I just strip all that stuff out in C Stock? On the other hand, I would miss my motivational Van Halen before each race but I guess they will have to go if I can get rid of the stereo equipment. Also, not sure if I can remove the rear seats?? Anyone who can help with this, please pipe up. No, I don't have a C4 and yes, my C2 is pretty heavy. This is why you guys are here, right? Thanks for the GREAT reply! Definitely helps alot!

JimB - I'm not going to inflate your head too much here but you were simply AWESOME this past weekend!! A buddy of mine (fellow 996 owner) and I drove up to watch and check out the C class cars, paying particular attention to the 996s. Obviously you are the man to beat in a 996 so I took particular interest in watching you in the race. We were seriously pulling for you to get around Phil and it was very exciting until Ernie hit the wall right in front of me. Glad to see he was okay! Anyways, your car is amazing! My 99 does not have your engine or power but I definitely learned alot about what I can and can not do with my car while keeping it legal in C (maybe D next year). I noticed that it looked like you had your AC still in?? Also, you had your door panels removed on both sides to allow or window nets on both sides. Please explain that one. Am I allowed to remove door panels even if I don't have a full roll cage? Great watching you this past weekend and I too hope to share the track with you one day....as a D class racer of course

Mitch - Sounds to me like you are not keeping that 996 stock any longer. Next will be Super Solo and then......back to racing!! WoooHooo!!!

v-tach - even if I get moved to D class next year, and I hope I do, my car will probably still have a minimum weight of 2,910 lbs. Also, I will probably still be able to keep the car like it was a C class car.

Everyone, thanks for your replies and let me know your thoughts on my additional questions.

Rich
www.BluemaxxRacing.com
Old 10-17-2006, 10:52 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BluemaxxRacing
JimB - I'm not going to inflate your head too much here but you were simply AWESOME this past weekend!! A buddy of mine (fellow 996 owner) and I drove up to watch and check out the C class cars, paying particular attention to the 996s. Obviously you are the man to beat in a 996 so I took particular interest in watching you in the race. We were seriously pulling for you to get around Phil and it was very exciting until Ernie hit the wall right in front of me. Glad to see he was okay! Anyways, your car is amazing! My 99 does not have your engine or power but I definitely learned alot about what I can and can not do with my car while keeping it legal in C (maybe D next year). I noticed that it looked like you had your AC still in?? Also, you had your door panels removed on both sides to allow or window nets on both sides. Please explain that one. Am I allowed to remove door panels even if I don't have a full roll cage? Great watching you this past weekend and I too hope to share the track with you one day....as a D class racer of course
Rich,
Thanks! It was a blast driving at Daytona and I always have fun racing with Phil. We are now 5-5 over the past couple years. I still think I'd have gotten him if we had gone the distance but he isn't easy to pass so who knows.

To answer your questions, I still have the compressor and the interior controls and such for the AC but it hasn't worked for years.

You can remove your door panels if they interfere with the cage. Mine did. You can also remove the drivers side window if it's in the way of door bars. You really shouldn't race without a cage.
Jim
Old 10-17-2006, 11:42 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,662 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg Fishman
Are the Grand Am Cup tires more or less grippy than the Hoosiers that PCA racers use? I thought they were a harder compound for endurance.
Correct. They are slightly less sticky (but not that much), but they last a lot longer.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:26 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BBailey
Before deciding the 3.4L 996's won't be overdogs in D, you might want to go check out Grand-Am Cup times from the tracks that PCA races at.

The set-up's for PCA stock and Grand-Am Cup are extremely similar. The 3.4L 996's in that series run at 2950 lbs (heavier than PCA), doesn't allow metallic suspension bushings (which PCA does allow), and restricts tire size (relative to PCA), though computer changes are allowed (which PCA disallows).

I think you will change your mind quickly.

FYI - 996's were running in the 2:06's the last time Grand-Am Cup ran at The Glen.

I think there are a lot more differences that that. Here's my quick read of the rules deltas of grand-am vs. PCA stock:

Can use 2 piece floating rotors
May upgrade the brake system (calipers, etc)
Cockpit adjustable brake bias
Camber plates that are not "pinned" as in PCA
Can remove the headlights
Different fuel pressure regulator & injectors
Aftermarket EFI
.030 overbore
Seam welding permitted
Must remove sunroof
Can weld the cage to the suspension pickup points
Can remove AC, radios system, Inner fender liners and interior
Different gear ratios allowed for some models
Any limited slip diff (not allowed at all in PCA for 996s as it was not an option)
Different flywheel

And I believe that the 2950 is with driver, no?

Btw, there was a grand am spec car that tried to run in C at Daytona. It was significantly faster than an 3.6L X51. Those computer changes can make a big difference. Bring a legal 3.4L 996 to the Glen and run 2:06s and I'll certainly be impressed. But I think all those little differences will make a fairly large difference in lap times.
Old 10-18-2006, 12:51 AM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

'99 c2 996s did have an LSD option. it was paired with traction control. not sure why it wouldn't be allowed.

traction control - M 222
automatic slip differential - M 224

Originally Posted by 38D
I think there are a lot more differences that that. Here's my quick read of the rules deltas of grand-am vs. PCA stock:

Can use 2 piece floating rotors
May upgrade the brake system (calipers, etc)
Cockpit adjustable brake bias
Camber plates that are not "pinned" as in PCA
Can remove the headlights
Different fuel pressure regulator & injectors
Aftermarket EFI
.030 overbore
Seam welding permitted
Must remove sunroof
Can weld the cage to the suspension pickup points
Can remove AC, radios system, Inner fender liners and interior
Different gear ratios allowed for some models
Any limited slip diff (not allowed at all in PCA for 996s as it was not an option)
Different flywheel

And I believe that the 2950 is with driver, no?

Btw, there was a grand am spec car that tried to run in C at Daytona. It was significantly faster than an 3.6L X51. Those computer changes can make a big difference. Bring a legal 3.4L 996 to the Glen and run 2:06s and I'll certainly be impressed. But I think all those little differences will make a fairly large difference in lap times.
Old 10-18-2006, 01:21 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

'99 c2 996s did have an LSD option. it was paired with traction control. not sure why it wouldn't be allowed.

traction control - M 222
automatic slip differential - M 224
Ah right. So you could have the LSD but only if you had traction control as well. It also has the be the factory unit set at factory ratios.

Quick Reply: 996 on a Diet