Sponsored by:

Last event for the race car.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 12:26 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Last event for the race car.

As many of you may know, I'm new to this "racing thing" I bought a "turn key" 944 cup car and since I have been full bore between getting it running and getting me seat time in it. This weekend was the last event for the car this season, Summit Point Main, with NASA. I finally made the leap into HPDE 3 which lets you pass anywhere with a point by. I also had a friend driving the car in HPDE 2. Between the two of us the car saw four hours of track time and consumed about 4 quarts of oil (i have a leak somewhere ).

this was my first time in HPDE 3, so I learned a TON about off line stuff (ie, i have never gone on the outside of 4... that is scary!). I cant tell you how may times was was 2, even 3 wide on main. It was really really cool, and helped me build my confidence up for the NASA comp school next year.

My friend said that he would be happy to time me just to give me an idea of how fast i am. I wanted to see just so i could compare it to the 944 cup times (Yes, I'm in DE, and i should be focusing on something more than times, but i wanted to know). My goal time was in the 1:32's, which is not on fire, but its not slow either. After my second session of sunday I was informed that I was in the solid 1:32's

I had the car weighed this weekend and found out that i was 200lbs over weight so she needs a diet. 200lbs over weight, no LSD, no short 5th gear, RA-1's and a rookie at the wheel.. yea, i was on cloud nine for the rest of the weekend!!!

plans for this winter are as follows:
Jenny craig diet for the car
new Transmission with LSD and shorter 5th gear

And thats about it, I'm already over my budget for the year and I'm capible of doing a 1:32, the car should be doing 1:30's. I cannot wait for next year, to actually be racing!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:37 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Great news.
I was at VIR this weekend running in white and like you I'm really begining to notice how the lack of a LSD affects performance (I was constantly spinning my inner rear tire comming out of 1 and Oak Tree).
So this winter I'm going to get a Gaurds LSD and that should fix the problem.
Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2006, 12:58 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smlporsche
Great news.
I was at VIR this weekend running in white and like you I'm really begining to notice how the lack of a LSD affects performance (I was constantly spinning my inner rear tire comming out of 1 and Oak Tree).
So this winter I'm going to get a Gaurds LSD and that should fix the problem.
Good Luck!
Yes, turn 1, and 6-7 on main i just cant put the power down as fast with no diff... or if i do something stupid either

I can see 1 at VIR as well, and anything technical (shenandoah) almost requires a LSD, lol.

Good luck to you as well!
Old 10-16-2006, 01:40 PM
J Silverman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You arent kidding about needing an LSD on the SC. This was my first time on track with the car so I had no idea of what to expect. Especially the second gear corner (corkscrew I think they call it, after the karousel) I was lighting the inside rear tire up. All in all it was a great weekend. Nothing broke except that I had to swap brake pads after the first day. What ever the PO had on the fronts were complete garbage. I work through half the pads on the first day. PFC 97s are a lot better I wish I would have had some time to go over to main to say hi. Between changing my brake pads and helping 2 others do it I was pretty busy.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:01 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

LSD is very noticeable under threshold braking too. You'll be surprised at how much more "steady" the car will feel especially when braking not exactly in a straight line.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:27 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John H
LSD is very noticeable under threshold braking too. You'll be surprised at how much more "steady" the car will feel especially when braking not exactly in a straight line.
From my reading on the subject, the clutch LSD helps on braking but the Quaife LSD acts like an open diff. The quaife doesn't wear out, the clutches do. I went with the clutch type and so far so good.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 10-16-2006 at 05:42 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:30 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

just in case, i'd advise you to enter an actual race with it... keep driving during de's and the thing will break down before you get a chance to play w/ it! (think i'm kidding?- talk to td about that )

Quick Reply: Last event for the race car.