Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Army Surplus Nomex fire protection suits

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 02:58 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The military nomex underwear is hard to come by. I was issued one set, in 1988 and I still have it. The Army did not issue it much, (Don't know much about the rest of the services.) so finding it surplus would be hard. i guess you could buy it from an old pilot, but I am not sure I want to use someone's USED underwear. Nomex underwear is not that expensive, and you can buy a good nomex drivers suit for under $100. A lot safer than a flight suit, trust me, I wore one for over 30 years. Refueling is the most dangerous time in a race, if your crew is expendable, then I guess it would be ok. But I'd rather spend $200 each for good protection. Also, finding surplus flight suits ain't that easy, you'd probably use up $50 worth of gas just finding some.

From someone that has worn nomex flight suits almost half of his life, I really think it is a bad idea. But, then again, what ever someone wants to do.

Bill
Old 10-18-2006, 03:07 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

Bill

What did you fly?
Old 10-18-2006, 06:35 PM
Bill L Seifert
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

US Army, OH23, OH and TH13, Huey, Cobra in that order. From 1968 to 2001. I quit just before my unit went to Apache's. They are now in Afganistan. I am glad to be old.

Bill

Quick Reply: Army Surplus Nomex fire protection suits