Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Official NNJR-VIR 2006 event thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2006, 11:31 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Priorities . . .
Old 11-12-2006, 11:12 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well gang, I didn't have such a great event, but the event was still fun, got to see Redline, Forklift, TD, Bull, some old students, ChrisL.

I lost my clutch throwout bearing in the 3rd session on Friday. So hung around on Sat and finished up with student, hopped in a few other cars, and actually learned alot by riding with some other advanced drivers.

For the first time ever, I rode in a GT3 Street, driven by ChrisL. Holy Moly! I think Chris was laying back a little since I was in the passenger seat but I was most impressed by the braking. Handling too, but the braking got my attention the most. Plus he kindly shared some things with me that David Murray had shared with him, and I can't wait to try them out as soon as I get back to the track.

The weather was awesome on Fri/Sat.

Great to see everyone - wish I could've stayed on Sat night for the banquet but my wife was ready to go home since I wasn't driving!

Brian
Old 11-13-2006, 09:12 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

damn hate that for you Brian. but im glad you got to sit in gt3 .. they are remarkable car right out of the box.

thinking you ought to ride in the cup car one time. there is the offer! i could use some pointers from you
Old 11-13-2006, 09:44 AM
Chris L.
Pro

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Well gang, I didn't have such a great event, but the event was still fun, got to see Redline, Forklift, TD, Bull, some old students, ChrisL.

I lost my clutch throwout bearing in the 3rd session on Friday. So hung around on Sat and finished up with student, hopped in a few other cars, and actually learned alot by riding with some other advanced drivers.

For the first time ever, I rode in a GT3 Street, driven by ChrisL. Holy Moly! I think Chris was laying back a little since I was in the passenger seat but I was most impressed by the braking. Handling too, but the braking got my attention the most. Plus he kindly shared some things with me that David Murray had shared with him, and I can't wait to try them out as soon as I get back to the track.

The weather was awesome on Fri/Sat.

Great to see everyone - wish I could've stayed on Sat night for the banquet but my wife was ready to go home since I wasn't driving!

Brian

I am the one that is thankful for the weekend. It was nice seeing some of the people that I first met up at the Glen back in August. It was also nice having so many GT3s to run with. I could not believe the numbers!

Thanks to Brian. I had always wanted to get him in the car with me to help give me some pointers and he did just that. If you ever get the chance to get him as an instructor, do it. I felt bad for him as his run time was cut so short after he, probably more than any other since he started this thread, was looking forward to the weekend.

Also great to meet some guys I have followed over on Rennlist as well.

I got a checkout ride to move to black with someone named Dan, can't recall his last name, in a 944. If anyone knows him, please tell him thanks for the ride.

See you guys next year!

chris

Last edited by Chris L.; 11-13-2006 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:26 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

Outstanding event and great way to end the season. NNJR always runs top notch events full of great people. I saw a lot of old friends and, hopefully, made some new ones.

Picked up some pointers from John H. (redline man) and hopefully gave him one or two. The track seemed a little slow to me, perhaps because it was pretty warm and I was running brand new Toyo RA1s. I made improvements in some places but seemed to backslide a little in a few (e.g., overslowing a tad too much for entry at T1 and at the bottom of the roller coaster before turn in for T17) I will look at the data over the next few weeks to see if my impressions were accurate.

The NNJR VIR event is my anniversary event of sorts (this marks the end of my second year of driving -- I now have 60 odd DE and racing days), so it is "special" for me. I saw my very first instructor ever (Karl H.), and now I am in the same run group as he is He said he didn't see me doing anything to embarass him. Thankfully. Couple of my buddies spun shortly after passing me (no damage), which I always take credit for regardless of whether I really had anything to do with it or not.

It was too bad so many of my friends had car trouble and didn't run the full weekend. The weather was outstanding for the first two days. Since it was raining on Sunday, I packed it up and went home early in hope of getting brownie points and "sexy time." Niiiiiiccccceeee . . . I like. Unfortunately, my wife had looked at the weather report from Danville and saw right through my ploy.
Attached Images  
Old 11-13-2006, 11:33 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt - I'll hop in the cup car anytime. But I'm not sure that I could help out in any way! Those cars are just so different than what I'm use to driving.

Chris is being too gracious. I didn't help him at all. He was in good shape - I was simply a passenger. Sure, we discussed some things, but he's doing pretty darn well on his own! He even showed me a thing or 2. That's the benefit of riding with someone else. You get into your own way of driving and you don't always explore other methods/approaches. As a passenger I observed some things that I want to try to do differently next time out!

Matt - you gonna be at Carolinas PCA in Dec?

Brian
Old 11-13-2006, 12:25 PM
Chris L.
Pro

Forgot to send some love out to Tom Hart.

Thanks also for the instruction this weekend.

Hope to see you soon.

chris
Old 11-13-2006, 01:44 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

brian i am trying to get in now.. i am planning on it i run the weekend afternext but would like to hit that event also some pretty good guys in the region! need to send you some video from the other day at track .. pretty wide open on grand course
Old 11-13-2006, 02:25 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I better be there for the Carolinas region DE at VIR. It pained me to not be there for the NNJR event.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by BrianKeithSmith
Matt - I'll hop in the cup car anytime. But I'm not sure that I could help out in any way! Those cars are just so different than what I'm use to driving.

Chris is being too gracious. I didn't help him at all. He was in good shape - I was simply a passenger. Sure, we discussed some things, but he's doing pretty darn well on his own! He even showed me a thing or 2. That's the benefit of riding with someone else. You get into your own way of driving and you don't always explore other methods/approaches. As a passenger I observed some things that I want to try to do differently next time out!

Matt - you gonna be at Carolinas PCA in Dec?

Brian
Brian, I hate to hear you had a problem. I noticed you were on the roster for the Car Reg PCA at VIR, can you still make it? Hope you get it back together for that event.

I saw Chris' name on there, too.

I'm locked and loaded for that Fri, Sat & Sun.

See you guys there.
Old 11-13-2006, 07:56 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

He better go. We are in the same run group and that hasn't happened in a long time. Now if I can just keep up...

See you there.

Jim

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
Brian, I hate to hear you had a problem. I noticed you were on the roster for the Car Reg PCA at VIR, can you still make it? Hope you get it back together for that event.

I saw Chris' name on there, too.

I'm locked and loaded for that Fri, Sat & Sun.

See you guys there.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:06 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
He better go. We are in the same run group and that hasn't happened in a long time. Now if I can just keep up...

See you there.

Jim
Hey Jim,

You had a motor issue recently, didn't you? Will VIR Dec be your first event since then?

The weather is going to be a lot different than when we were all there with Chin.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:13 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, Chin July 4th weekend was my last event. I've just rebuilt the engine and am trying to get a few bugs worked out/dynoed. Hope to have all done so I can be there for VIR Dec. Man it was hot the 4th. I'm looking forwrd to cooler weather now...

Originally Posted by Bigpinekey
Hey Jim,

You had a motor issue recently, didn't you? Will VIR Dec be your first event since then?

The weather is going to be a lot different than when we were all there with Chin.
Old 11-13-2006, 11:01 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TD in DC
Couple of my buddies spun shortly after passing me (no damage), which I always take credit for regardless of whether I really had anything to do with it or not.
Hey I resemble that remark! Actually I was still fighting the oversteer demon at that point and when I hit the marbles in T1 it was

After I got the suspension (tires) figured out, no more spin.

Good to see everyone and meeting some new people. Sucks that Brian, Keith and Ralph had to leave early and Jim didn't make it.

What up Falcon!
Old 11-13-2006, 11:03 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Originally Posted by forklift
Hey I resemble that remark! Actually I was still fighting the oversteer demon at that point and when I hit the marbles in T1 it was
As I said, the truth has little or nothing to do with my willingness to take credit . . . PS. you were only one of a few . . .

Quick Reply: The Official NNJR-VIR 2006 event thread!