stupid trailer question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 12:34 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default stupid trailer question

If I buy a 900lb Trailex open trailer, will I be able to move it forward or backwards by hand (without the car on top)? I think I can fit the trailer in my garage, but my Excursion won't fit in the garage so I'd have to move it in and out a couple of feet by hand.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:39 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes you can, especially if it is a nice level floor.
Old 10-09-2006, 12:47 PM
agio
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my Trailex since 1998 and love it. Yes, you can manuever the trailer fairly easily around a hard flat surface. After a track event, I merely back my trailer (with car on it) into my garage and both fit rather nicely. I have about 8" of extra garage length, but that's about it.
It's fairly light to the point that unloaded, I simply back my SUV up to it in order to connect it; get out of the SUV; and with a little help, literally lift the tongue off the ground and place it on the ball of the SUV...connect it all up and I'm good to go.
Get the longest ramps they make and as (reasonably) wide as possible.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I move mine about by hand also, even on gravel surfaces. Very easy to do.
Old 10-09-2006, 01:34 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

The other cool thing about having an open floored trailer is that some underbody work can be done while the car is on the trailer. Right Agio?
Old 10-09-2006, 01:40 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
The other cool thing about having an open floored trailer is that some underbody work can be done while the car is on the trailer. Right Agio?
For me, not really, the floor to car distance was too great, then you have the axles on the trailers and assorted braces to contend with. It is possible but wasn't convenient for my 993.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:00 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Northern Tool has has a hand truck with a trailer hitch ball and good inflated tires on it to help move a trailer. I have one to help move my steel trailer in the garage. It's about $50.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by A930Rocket
Northern Tool has has a hand truck with a trailer hitch ball and good inflated tires on it to help move a trailer. I have one to help move my steel trailer in the garage. It's about $50.
Cool
Old 10-09-2006, 03:21 PM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

I was going to chime in about the Trailex-type trailer and how nice it is to be able to move it around by hand, but you all beat me to it.
Anserring a question you didn't ask:
In addition to the 'non-motorized hand truck with hitch ball' there is a powered type as well; that would allow you to move the trailer even with the car on it, but its stupid expensive (a friend has one, though) - maybe $3k?? Not sure of the source but I'll bet you find cab it on one of the RV sites.
Old 10-09-2006, 04:01 PM
Clem
Racer

The newer trailex model is slightly longer, but has a full floor - which means you can jack the car up while loaded to change tires, pads, fluid, etc. About the same price & weight, and easily moveable by hand.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:12 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clem
The newer trailex model is slightly longer, but has a full floor - which means you can jack the car up while loaded to change tires, pads, fluid, etc. About the same price & weight, and easily moveable by hand.

which model is that?
Old 10-09-2006, 05:24 PM
Clem
Racer

Trailex

I got one this spring (model CT-80165) and have been very happy with it.
Only difference from what you see in the photos is that the floor does not extend through the triangular tongue piece, just the actual bed.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:49 PM
agio
Racer

Mitch,
You're right as usual. The open floor sure enabled the trailer hooks to be attached without off loading the car. And, BTW, we also did a rotor change after jacking the car while on the trailer. I know, I know, it doesn't seem possible...but it was done without any real difficulties!
Old 10-09-2006, 09:57 PM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

This is GREAT guys! This topic is the #1 thing occupying my car world right now. Turns out that I am also in the market for a Trailex trailer. I have to have one of these trailers because of a few important factors. First, my garage will ONLY fit a Trailex Trailer. Second, I need a lightweight trailer so that my Toyota Sequoia will be able to pull my 996 along with all of the wheels on the rack and maybe even a storage box. This will allow me to make as much room as possible in my truck for family.

On the other hand, there is one serious draw back which is where you guys can help me too! Turns out that my garage does NOT face the street. In fact, it is perpendicular to the street. I will have to make a sharp 90-degree turn in order to make it into my garage. The catch to all this is that I REALLY need to keep the car on the trailer while all of this happens because the wife's Volvo must also share the garage. So here is my questions for you Trailex owners....

1. I plan to disconnect the trailer once in front of the garage. Can I then somehow steer the trailer (with the car on top) into my garage? There is a small lip that I will have to get over and I am wondering if I will be able to do this myself, or will I need help or is this impossible?

2. I have thought about possibly getting a trolly of some sort in order to put the trailer wheel on top of so steering the trailer into the garage (after I have unhooked it from the truck) is easier. Which trolly would you suggest and would any of you have pictures of what you use?

Any feedback on this topic would help me so much and I surely appreciate it. Of course, if any of you are thinking about selling your Trailex trailers and you are close to Florida, let me know. Thanks guys!!!
Old 10-09-2006, 10:03 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get a cheap used garden tractor. The mower deck is the first thing to go so if cutting grass is not important they can be had for next to nothing

Quick Reply: stupid trailer question