Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Circuit Prenois/Stand21 Factory Visit - Kinda Long (Sorry)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts
Cool Circuit Prenois/Stand21 Factory Visit - Kinda Long (Sorry)

So I was able to go over to France again this year and participate in one of our customer events that are staged at several tracks around Europe throughout the year. My employer (EDS) sponsors Gunther Chrzanowski's Rent-A-Racecar team in Europe, and Gunther runs as many as six 993/996/997 Cup Cars and one GT3RS in the GTP Series. At each customer event, attendees have a hot pit pass that allows access right on the pit wall throughout the weekend as well as full access to the garages. They also rent out the kart track there at Circuit Prenois for Saturday afternoon for some "friendly" races in the 2-stroke karts.

Practice and qualifying for the various classes running throughout the weekend are all day Saturday and once the final session is completed, the track is open for customer rides! Last year, I was fortunate enough to get to drive one of Gunther's 993 Cup Cars and it was a BLAST! I was slated to get a chance to drive the GT3RS this year, but there were suspension problems so I only got to ride this year (three times!). 208KPH down the straight towards turn 1 - YEEEE HAAWWWW!

Also, since the Stand21 factory was (literally) on the way to the track from my hotel, I made arrangements to pick up my helmet at the factory and also get fitted for a new HANS device. Kim Harmon, the US Stand21 rep, did a great job helping me with my order and custom paint job. Turns out that Stand21 has just renewed their contract with Porsche and is now producing the Porsche Le Mans "swirl" racing suits again. So since I was there, I had Aurielle take my measurements for a new suit! Also picked up some gloves and other oddments. Got to tour the factory and see how all their stuff is made - really cool. It takes them just over 300 minutes to manufacture a custom suit! And they have every measurement for every custom suit they have made in a wall of binders. While there, I met Yves Morizot, Stand21 President and his son. True gentlemen. Mr. Morizot invited me up to his office to see his racing suit hall of fame. Senna, Mansell, Andretti to name a few! History stored all over his office. All I can say about the Stand21 people is that they are consummate professionals, and some of the nicest people I came across during our visit. If you need racing equipment, theses guys are some of the best!

I've included a few pictures. The weekend was a blast, and I can't wait for Round 3 next year!

Getting fitted with my new Stand21Airforce helmet and HANS device. Aurielle was superb!

Me with Yves Morizot, President of Stand21.

Mr. Morizot, his son and Aurielle in Mr. Morizot's office. Yes, that wall behind us holds suits and helmets worn by the likes of Nigel Mansell, Ayrton Senna and others!

My wife, Gunther Chrzanowski and me in the pits

My wife went out for some hot laps. She even kept her eyes open!

First set of hot laps for me were in the 993 Cup Car.

And THEN I got to ride in the team's GT3RS. In a word... WOW! I have never experienced the kind of stopping power these cars generate. Simply unbelievable.

As I said, I can't wait for next year! Hope you guys don't mind me posting this.

Toby

Quick Reply: Circuit Prenois/Stand21 Factory Visit - Kinda Long (Sorry)