Sponsored by:

Summit Point Video

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006 | 05:15 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Default Summit Point Video

I feel sorry for the guys at Summit Point this weekend. Once again there is a club race on the East coast, and we have rain. Hopefully it will clear up in time for the sprint race tomorrow.

Anyway here's a video for those of you who have heard about Summit Point, but have never driven it. It's the first 10 minutes of a session. Click here for the second half where I catch that pesky 997 Twin Turbo.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Last edited by Larry Herman; 04-23-2007 at 12:08 AM. Reason: Added second video clip.
Old 10-06-2006 | 05:29 PM
sleder
Addict
Rennlist Member

Larry, Thanks for the dry runs on the video...it seems that it's as dry as we are going to see today!
Old 10-06-2006 | 06:05 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

I feel sorry for the guys at Summit Point this weekend. Once again there is a club race on the East coast, and we have rain.
See it's all my fault. I special-ordered the Summit Point rain package on my club race entry application. I love to race in the rain. It gives me a chance to teach those young whippersnapper 44 turbos to give us N/A guys some respect. Unfortunately I didn't know that I wouldn't be able to make the SP club race. Sorry guys! Have a Guinness on me
Old 10-06-2006 | 06:16 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Larry, thanks for posting. The next best thing to riding shotgun w/ you. I will have to watch it again when I get home from work. A lot of traffic on that run....

I was there on Tuesday working on the new suspension and it seems as though the track gets more bumpy everytime I drive it....but since I had to much nitro in the shocks that didn't help things.

I will be there this weekend to help out a few guys....sorta glad I'm not racing, hope to make 2007.

Jim
Old 10-06-2006 | 06:44 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Larry:
It sounds like you are shifting to 4th just before turn 8? When I drive my dad's 964, I drop to second at 5, shift up to 3rd at 7 and hit 4th at the exit of 9 because I am out of revs in 3rd.

It even sounded like you made another upshift before the bridge. Is the RSA geared slightly different than a 93 C2?

Nice clean laps by the way. I may try to come to the RTR event at SP in November if work permits.
Old 10-06-2006 | 07:26 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Mark, the car has a short R&P and the gearing is quite different. That's 5th gear just before the bridge!
Old 10-06-2006 | 07:40 PM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

By I'll say. 5th before the bridge! I've never done that. Good stuff.
Old 10-06-2006 | 08:47 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Larry Herman
Mark, the car has a short R&P and the gearing is quite different. That's 5th gear just before the bridge!
Damn, I don't even see 5th on the main straight. I need to add a R&P to "the list".

Last edited by forklift; 10-06-2006 at 09:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2006 | 09:46 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I have been at Summit since Tuesday. The weather today was less than desirable. I have been home for an hour and am still cold.

It would be nice to see some sun tommorrow!
Old 10-07-2006 | 12:23 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Larry,
Fun video.
How would you compare your RSA with your GT3?
How do your lap times compare both at VIR and Summit Point?
Which car do you like better overall?
Just curious.
Old 10-07-2006 | 12:33 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Matt, the RSA doesn't have the high speed acceleration of the GT3, but it does handle and stop better. I have not run it at VIR yet, and the track was very slow at Summit, but at the Glen I think that the lap times are very similar. I was running right with the class winning GT3s at the club race in June, and I have found more speed in the car since then, so we will see next year. I am going to Daytona, and the same guys will be there, but I don't expect to be able to stay with them on those long straights. I'll let you know after next weekend. As far as which I like better, well I miss the GT3 motor, and the aura of that car, but I like the RSA racecar feel much more. I guess the best of both worlds would be a GT3 cup car, but I still have one more college tuition to pay, or a good lottery ticket, before I can think about that.
Old 10-07-2006 | 12:45 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Very interesting. I really like my GT3, but I have been wanting a cup car too. I have never driven an RSA or even ridden in one, but it sounds and looks good. Will you be at Summit Point again this year? When are you going to VIR again? I would love to get you to ride with me at both tracks and get your feedback. I have attained a personal best lap at VIR of 2:06.2 but I feel there is something more. I am going there on Monday and again in a couple of weeks to Synergy's Fall Fling. We shall see what I can do. I do have a 997 GT3 coming in Feb or March, but I am planning on keeping the 996 GT3 (at least for now) and selling my Cayman. I have been considering a specific Cup Car but don't have the cash right now. What I really want to do is sell the 996 GT3 and Cayman, and get a 996 Cup car and 997 GT3! Is that too much to ask? Ha. Ha.
Old 10-07-2006 | 01:09 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

I'll be at Summit Nov 10-12 with Riesentoter, and if the stars align properly, at the 2007 spring Zone 2 event at VIR. BTW 2:06.2 is booking at VIR, but I know that you know that.
Old 10-07-2006 | 07:24 AM
RSRRacer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
Very interesting. I really like my GT3, but I have been wanting a cup car too. I have never driven an RSA or even ridden in one, but it sounds and looks good. Will you be at Summit Point again this year? When are you going to VIR again? I would love to get you to ride with me at both tracks and get your feedback. I have attained a personal best lap at VIR of 2:06.2 but I feel there is something more. I am going there on Monday and again in a couple of weeks to Synergy's Fall Fling. We shall see what I can do. I do have a 997 GT3 coming in Feb or March, but I am planning on keeping the 996 GT3 (at least for now) and selling my Cayman. I have been considering a specific Cup Car but don't have the cash right now. What I really want to do is sell the 996 GT3 and Cayman, and get a 996 Cup car and 997 GT3! Is that too much to ask? Ha. Ha.
A couple of my friends and I are planning to do the fall fling. I have about 100 days at VIR and would be glad to ride with you or take you for a spin. Not sure what tires you were running to get your 2:06. For hoosiers this is a good time, for slicks, more to be had.
Old 10-07-2006 | 10:53 AM
smankow
Pro

Larry, thanks for the videos and finally passing the 996 twinn turbo, which you quickly left in the dust. I'm sure that any of the "D" entrants for the SP race are happy that you are going to Daytona as it gives them a chance to win.

It was also a good tool to see you in action and how you take the turns that we spoke about at that event. Your consistency from lap to lap to lap is awsesome. Can I get you for another ride in Nov?

Best of luck at Daytona!!!!

Steve

Quick Reply: Summit Point Video