Sponsored by:

Hans vs. R3

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:14 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Hans vs. R3

What are the pros & cons/preferences of the Hans vs the R3?
I will assume that both will protect me from a saftey point of view.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:23 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hated my HANS for the first weekend.

- I had pull the seat pad to lower myself in the car to achieve proper aligment with the shoulder straps.
- I had to re-learn how to get in the car as I could not use the same routine as had without the HANS.
- I lost use of my right side mirror due to not being able to turn my head and my right side net.
- Had to install a 5 panel "wink" mirror to return my rear vision
- Had to re do my window net mounting to make sure I could put the net up with HANS on due to less mobility when strapped in.
- Can't see worth crap in paddock because I can't turn my head.
- Irritated me pretty good my first 2 track days.

By the 3rd track day I forgot about and had gotten used to all the changes. I feel naked without the HANS will never drive my 944 on track without one. End result was alot of changes short term, but now after 1 year of use all these things are just normal now. One of the best investment I ever made.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I got rid of a R3 and love my HANS
Old 10-05-2006, 02:26 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

I try to grid early so I can get into mine after negotiating the paddock. I too fell naked without it. I actually think it make the shoulder belts more comfortable.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:00 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are an instructor, the choice is pretty much the R3, if you wish to use a H&N restraint device in a student's car. The R3 is independant of what type of harnesses or seat belts one uses. A HANS device is pretty much useless without harnesses.

-Z-man.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:30 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
A HANS device is pretty much useless without harnesses.

-Z-man.

That is true, but given the way a harness works as compared to 3pts I think the risk of BSF is much less with 3 points as the rest of body will be moving along with the head. Neither of which are good of course. So a 3pt does an ok job of restraining the occupants while still allowing comfort. So they are perfect for street cars where most folks would not be comfortable for 3hrs in 6pt belts on the freeway. Their downside however is all the extra movement the body sees with them both before impact and during impact.

The harness is great to restraing the body, but this I believe CREATED the BSF problem as now the body stopped moving in an impact which was great, but left the head free roam. So now Head and neck devices work inconjuntion with a harness to keep the head controled while he harness keeps the body under control.

Therefore I just don't feel I am at the same risk of BSF if have only 3pt belts so any H&N devices becomes superfilous.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:44 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
Therefore I just don't feel I am at the same risk of BSF if have only 3pt belts so any H&N devices becomes superfilous.
I understand your logic, but wish to point out that while BSF injuries may be less with a 3-point belt, a H&N restraint doesn't just prevent BSF's.
From wikipedia
A basilar skull fracture (or "Basal skull fracture") is a linear fracture involving the base of the skull. They are rare, occurring as the only fracture in only 4% of severe head injury patients.
I suspect that wearing an R3 with a 3-point belt will help prevent whiplash, upper spinal injuries, and various shoulder/neck injuries.

For me, this fact is clear: if I were to be involved in a crash on a racetrack, regardless of what harnesses or seat belts I'm wearing, I still want my head and neck to be in close proximity to the rest of my body. An R3 does just that.

-Z-man.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:01 PM
Vampire
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregg Lewis
What did you like better about the HANS?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:56 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an R3

Pro:
I at least have some head and neck restraint vs. nothing at all.
Works for my boxster while doing track days with stock belts.

Con:
Pain in the ars for racing. Seems more limiting in left/righ: up /down head movement then HANS
I have to put R3 on before I get in the car, but can't buckle helmet yet. If I were to buckel helmet I wouldn't be able to see how to put up the window net . Aslo, I'ts very difficult to get the helmet buckles on while sitting in car(I have a racetech seat with halo). My friends with HANS seem to be able to do this with relative ease.
Lastly helmet buckls seems to bind up, further limiting what little head movement there is.(this really bugs me)

As stated above:
For racing HANS is probably best (next year, I'm getting a Hans for racing.)
For DE, r3 probably best
my unscientific opinion.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:58 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

BSF is a broad diagnosis as it applies to any fracture at the base of the skull. Head and neck injuries are responsible for half the racing fatalities, and I suspect most are BSFs in one form or another.

The R3 does not perform as well as a HANS device, although there are recent claims to the contrary re the revised R3 or the Hybrid model from the same company--can't recall which.

Bottom line: There is no such thing as a bad H&N restraint.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,046 Likes on 538 Posts

Gregg had his R3 strapped to the front
Old 10-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by gbaker
The R3 does not perform as well as a HANS device, although there are recent claims to the contrary re the revised R3 or the Hybrid model from the same company--can't recall which.
That is a HUGE claim - using very, very broad brushstrokes and no detail.

Rather than ask for yet another 20 page H&N restraint debate, suffice it to say that all H&N systems have their strengths and weaknesses.

To blankedly claim that one is better than the other, all I have to say is:

-Z-man.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,610 Likes on 836 Posts

For racing = HANS

For instructing = I agree that the R3 seems better & usable in cars w/o harnesses; not my bag, though
Old 10-05-2006, 07:36 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Z-man
That is a HUGE claim - using very, very broad brushstrokes and no detail.
C'mon Z-man, relax. I'm referring to R3's own product brochures and known HANS test results. Besides, as I said, that's old stuff as Trevor has apparently upgraded his product line.

Rather than ask for yet another 20 page H&N restraint debate, suffice it to say that all H&N systems have their strengths and weaknesses.
Here, here.

To blankedly claim that one is better than the other, all I have to say is:
We'll have to agree to disagree. What is needed is a publication of summary data.
Old 10-05-2006, 08:55 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Z-man has spoken....

Quick Reply: Hans vs. R3