Sponsored by:

944 Fire System Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 12:00 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts
Default 944 Fire System Install

I am going to be instaling a fire system in my 944. The car is built to 944-Spec rules, so it is gutted but the engine is stock and there is no fuel cell. I already have the system, it is actuated manually and has 3 nozzles. Conventional wisdom says to install nozzle 1 under the hood aimed at the fuel source, nozzle 2 under the dash to protect the driver, and nozzle 3 above the fuel tank. I have seen pictures of several (10+) burned 944's and in every case the fire initiated under the hood and spread from there. I have only seen flames in the back of one 944, when the engine blew the oil hit the exhaust and flashed but did not continue burning or threaten to ignite the tank at all. I am thinking it may be a better plan to put two of the nozzles under the hood, one under the dash, and not put one above the tank. Any experienced opinions on this?

If I do put a nozzle above the tank where is the best place to locate it? The tank is pretty isolated from the cabin with the filler neck and vent tubes being the only part of the tank inside the cabin.

Any pics of good installs are appreciated.
Old 10-05-2006, 12:12 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have simiar questions. I do think if you use a rear nozzle it should be directed at the filler neck area. I think you could proably also ge coverage on the hole for the sender there too. They seem close enough.

I would love to hear what other 944 racers have done.

BTW... my fire system is still "in the planning stages" I had couple expense that look to be pushing this out one more month.
Old 10-05-2006, 04:14 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts

I have the 11lb Phoenix system that allows me the 3 nozzles, and have done as you suggest. One line goes to the fuel filler area and thereby should cover the ignition sources as well as leak sources - filler, vents, and fuel pump with elect. connections. The other line goes forward with one fitting at my feet under the dash (so I don't have to try to suck Halon), then continuing through one of the existing holes on the firewall and dumping at the back of the intake manifold, by my coil - but right by the firewall. You might want something to reach up higher to get to your injector/fuel rail area...
Old 10-05-2006, 05:06 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After seeing that video from 944 cup nationals you can bet your **** I'm buying built-in fire protection. Seems foolish to spend 2K on a cage for safety and then not pay a couple hundred for the fire.

I'm just looking at the 2.5lb model from paragon... Since I have a late car my fuel, oil and exhaust are on the psgr side. I figure one tee from in front of the battery area pointing at the fuel rail and headers, and one pointing at my feet should be ok.

But is 2.5lb enough, or do I need to kick down for the 5lb?
Old 10-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts

I would not go less that 5lbs if you are going to cover the interior and engine. I have a 5lb halon for the engine (2 heads) and 2.5 for the driver (one high, one low). If the inside of the car is burning, I will be out before the 2.5 is empty!!
Old 10-05-2006, 08:34 PM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

After seeing that video from 944 cup nationals you can bet your **** I'm buying built-in fire protection. Seems foolish to spend 2K on a cage for safety and then not pay a couple hundred for the fire.
That was my feeling exactly when I was building the car. That was my in-car video of the fire at the Nationals. I have 5.0Liter system AFF system that I got from HMS Motorsports. I'm running 2 nozzles in the engine, 1 at my knee level and 1 shooting back over the fuel tank and nozzle area. The system worked perfectly. The only thing that got fried were just a few wires next to my coil. That and a little soot on the hood were the only damage from the fire.

I've got pics of my install on my 944 pages. On the bottom of this page: Fire System Install and at the top of this one: Fire System part 2
Old 10-05-2006, 11:04 PM
Claus Groth
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by M758
I would love to hear what other 944 racers have done.
Joe, I'll be at PIR for the first time next weekend (14th & 15th) with NASA. If you happen to be there, check out my Halon 1301 fire system. One nozzle at driver's knee and one alongside the top of the right strut tower, aimed at the fuel rail. The third nozzle remains uninstalled as I'm not convinced that the tank is a real threat.
Old 10-06-2006, 05:25 AM
tafkai

we use fia rules .
minimum 2.25 .
activation in cockpit and by marshall switch outside .
on a 3 nozzle system , 2 into engine bay so as to cover full bay (ie: 1 front , 1 back . with direction to cover likely causes of fire )
and 3rd nozzle in cockpit pointed to driver at waist level or lower .

this would mean 1 nozzle pointing to fuelpipes/rail area . other nozzle in opposite front corner , and cockpit nozzle under dash pointing towards drivers footwell/seat bottom
Old 10-06-2006, 05:29 AM
tafkai

http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/extin...egulations.htm
Old 10-06-2006, 05:31 AM
tafkai

http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/downl...structions.pdf
Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 AM
tafkai

http://www.lifeline-fire.co.uk/downl...ec%20sheet.pdf
Old 10-06-2006, 05:33 AM
tafkai

Originally Posted by Claus Groth
Joe, I'll be at PIR for the first time next weekend (14th & 15th) with NASA. If you happen to be there, check out my Halon 1301 fire system. One nozzle at driver's knee and one alongside the top of the right strut tower, aimed at the fuel rail. The third nozzle remains uninstalled as I'm not convinced that the tank is a real threat.
i thought halon was banned ????????
Old 10-06-2006, 09:58 AM
tinman944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I dont think you really need one on the fuel tank if it is stock
Old 10-06-2006, 10:02 AM
Cris Brady
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the the rear area where my stock tank is located was the area of least concern. The stock tanks are pretty stout and well protected. The engine bay with it's fuel and oil lines and the driver (me!) were the places I worried about. If I had only 3 nozzles that's where I would put them. However, my install came with 4 nozzles, so I stuck the last one in the back overlooking the tank and filler neck. Couldn't hurt!
Old 10-06-2006, 10:43 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Claus Groth

Great,
I will drop by.

Quick Reply: 944 Fire System Install