Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet Purchase West Palm Beach?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 04:34 PM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Helmet Purchase West Palm Beach?

Anybody know of a good racing supply shop in West Palm Beach, FL? I've got an event this weekend and need to replace my SA95 rated snell. Thank you.

Derick
Old 10-02-2006, 04:37 PM
techno99
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wine Country Motorsports in Jupiter.

http://www.winecountrymotorsports.com/

There is also a shop in Daytona that carries Simpson helmets. I forget the name but could look it up if you're interested.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:22 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

In Boca you can go to Riva or Boca cycle. Not sure what they have in the way of non-motor cycle helmets but Riva especially has a big selection.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:49 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I will be done that way on business later this week and plan on shopping Wine Country. I too need a new SA05 helmet. I can't find anything in Tampa-Orlando area.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:02 AM
Earlierapex
Three Wheelin'

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts

Thank you!

-dc
Old 10-03-2006, 10:53 AM
agio
Racer

If you're in the Pompano Beach area, you should contact Foreign Affairs Motorsports. They sell helmets and are active in all of the events. Ask for Bob Varela 954 746 0488 to see if he stocks what you need.
good luck.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:11 AM
BluemaxxRacing
Racer

Wine Country is definitely the closest to you in WPB. Take 95 north to Indiantown Rd. East to Central Blvd. Make a Right on Central (south) and go to your first stop light (about a mile) to Jupiter Commerce Park. Make a Right and follow the road into the park where you will find a bunch of buildings and wharehouses. Once inside the park, make your first available left and Wine Country will be 2 buildings down on your left. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Wine Country Motorsports

As a result of this thread and a need for a DE helmet, I stopped by Wine Country Motorsports yesterday. I called last week in order to verify available sizes and colors and both Craig & Brad were very helpful. I ended up with an Arai GP-5W ... I have a large gourd, so an XL provided a perfect fit. I also ordered a set of Schroth 4 pt. harnesses. The guys at WCM seemed very knowledgable, which is something a neewbie needs. No affiliation with WCM, I just wanted to pass along some positive feedback to the group. I will be making a return visit before long.

I'm also picking up a 24' enclosed trailer next week, which will hopefully be used for my 1st DE event at Sebring next month. I've carefully followed the advice available on this forum, especially the preparation of my car from a safety standpoint.

I purchased a brand new Porsche 911 back in 1985 and have been enjoying one model or another ever since, but I've always wanted to get out on the racetrack. Well, the time is now and I'd like to thank all of the folks on this forum that take the time and effort to share their experiences. I have three goals:

1 - Do not physically hurt anyone
2 - Do not damage anyone's equipment
3 - Have fun

Two more things, I have no intention of counting the $$ spent on this hobby, nor do I expect to make any $$ while doing it.

Regards, Dave
Old 10-18-2006, 08:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 165 Posts

Dave - Welcome to the (VERY) slippery slope of DE addiction... My only comment would be on the 4 point harnesses, 5 point are advised as a minimum nowadays and 6 point are best (for now).

Oh, and #4 could be - Try to bring my car home in the same condition in which it arrived.

Enjoy and be sure to report on the experience!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have a great time and enjoy yourself and your car! FYI, 4 point harnesses are not allowed by many/most organizations in my area
Old 10-18-2006, 09:31 AM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Gary/Bob,

I have Cobra sport seats w/o the hole for 5/6 pt harnesses. I can add the sub-belt, is it acceptable/smart to loop under legs and attach to BK lap belt attachment point?

Regards, Dave
Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, I would use the holes in your seats for the sub-belts, then back at the proper angle to mount. You can use the parachute harness set-up, where you sit on the belts, but some organizations don't allow it (don't understand it?), and might be less likely to accept that set-up if they see you have the holes in the seats anyway.
Old 10-18-2006, 10:31 AM
techno99
Racer

Dave,

You might want to give Wine Country a call and tell them you're thinking about a 5 or 6 point harness and see what your options are. I'm pretty sure they'll allow you to swap out your 4 point if you haven't used it yet. Your best bet is to drive the car down there and let them figure out what works best with your seat. Also, get in touch with the Chief Instructor of the upcoming event and see what is allowed. PM me and I can give you the contact information.
Old 10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
agio
Racer

OK, so where and when is your actual 1st DE? and at what track?
Old 10-18-2006, 03:54 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bull
Dave, I would use the holes in your seats for the sub-belts, then back at the proper angle to mount. You can use the parachute harness set-up, where you sit on the belts, but some organizations don't allow it (don't understand it?), and might be less likely to accept that set-up if they see you have the holes in the seats anyway.
BTW, I've totally hijacked this thread ... sorry.

Bull,

I must not have been clear enough regarding my seats, I do not have any holes for sub belts. As a result, I went with the 4 point Schroth system with ASM technology. These belts are made for my application, as they have built in features to prevent the body from submarining under the lap belt inthe event of a hard impact. There is a detailed explanation of the ASM technology on the Schroth website. I talked with Craig this morning at Wine Country and they do not recommend a 6 point application using the parachute setup. I sent an email to Chin Motorsports requesting their club requirements on seatbelts/harnesses for DE events. I also checked the PCA website specifically for DEs and there were no requirements for 5/6 point harnesses. You've brought up some interesting questions, I'll let you know what I learn.

Quick Reply: Helmet Purchase West Palm Beach?