Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Recomendations on where to stay areound Rockingham?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006 | 09:24 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

Default Recomendations on where to stay areound Rockingham?

Doing the DE in October and I was wondering if anyone might have a recomendation on where to stay?

IPSC
Old 09-30-2006 | 12:12 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

There are several good hotels and restaurants on Highway 1 at Southern Pines, a few miles north of the track. I usually stay at the Hampton Inn. There isn't as much south of the track around Rockingham. Unless the track has been repaved in the past year, it is a very abrasive surface that will wear tires quickly and throw track debris. A bra or blue tape on the front will help, but you may also want to tape the places around your wheel wells that usually get nicked.
Old 09-30-2006 | 10:50 AM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Stay in Aberdeen or Southern Pines. There's really nothing nearby to the track.

Its a fun track but Jim's right about the tire wear. And there's not alot of grip because of the texture of the pavement.

It is fun though!

Brian
Old 09-30-2006 | 02:21 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

It's tough on tires AND windshields as well. I unfortunately was following someone pretty closely a few years ago when he went 2 wheels off and after the sandblasting I got I had to replace my windshield (it was a street car).
Old 09-30-2006 | 04:40 PM
IPSC
Three Wheelin'

This will be my first go round with dedicated track rims that I picked up from a buddy. As for nicks and scratches? THIS is why I have yet to paint my car. I want to get through a couple of seasons of DEs first. Also my windshield is gonna need to be replaced anyway.

The tires are Victoracers that have exactly two laps at VIR on them. My buddy lost his timing belt day one scene one first session and that was that.

I have heard at the "super abrasive" Rockingham track though. I guess it is the sand that they mixed in the paving process. Is the track any more "grippy" than any other?

IPSC

Last edited by IPSC; 09-30-2006 at 11:35 PM.
Old 09-30-2006 | 08:19 PM
soldmystang
Advanced

stay @ the Hampton. close to restaurants. try the english pub across the street. also the Barn is a good steak house.
Old 09-30-2006 | 08:50 PM
A930Rocket
Nordschleife Master

There the Dew Drop Inn... LOL

Quick Reply: Recomendations on where to stay areound Rockingham?