In Their Own Words: Turn 12 at Road Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 09:04 PM
gaijin
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default In Their Own Words: Turn 12 at Road Atlanta

IN THEIR OWN WORDS: TURN 12 AT ROAD ATLANTA

Road Atlanta is regarded as one of the most challenging natural terrain road courses in North America and the world. Those who have watched - or driven - at the 2.54-mile circuit often leave with a lasting memory of Turn 12, the steep downhill run to a sharp right-hand turn that leads to the frontstretch. It's a roller-coaster ride that takes the breath of even the most experienced drivers, as many of the participants at this weekend's Petit Le Mans powered by Mazda CX-7 will attest:

Darren Law:
"I would rate Turn 12 as one of the most challenging turns we have. It really does separate the men from the boys. If you have grip going through there, great. If not, hang on because you're in trouble."

Ron Fellows:
"(Before the chicane) you were going all the way wide open to where Turn 10 is now, which made for some pretty unreal speeds as you were turning left and uphill toward the bridge. It was one of the most exciting combinations of corners. The way it is now provides a lot more passing and more action. Your speed to Turn 12 is pretty much the same. It's flat out from the turn. We're over 150 mph before we turn in.

The Corkscrew (at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca) and Keyhole (at Road America) are good turns, but they're slow. The Kink and Carousel (both at Road America), and Turn 6 at Mosport are quick, which is how I like it. You can't do Turn 12 in a Corvette flat, but you can come close.

Johnny O'Connell:
"You're in top gear and at full speed down a steep hill, and you know if you make a mistake the barrier is there. Every time you go through Turn 12, it really tests your commitment."

Intersport Racing's Clint Field is of another mind when it comes to Turn 12. While daunting, it's not the toughest complex at Road Atlanta he says:

Clint Field:
"Everyone says that's one of the harder corners, and I don't know what they're talking about. I feel like it's one of the easier corners on the track. Gong through the Esses is much tougher. After Turn 3 and right before the Esses, you're blind and flat out going into the Esses. For us, it's completely flat."
Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

150 mph through 12? Wow. Flat through the esses in a P2? Wow.

I can't wait for this race.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My mechanic was on the Rohr Racing team when they ran a GT1 and their speed at the start finish line was around 180mph. the Factory Evo cars were even faster...

Quick Reply: In Their Own Words: Turn 12 at Road Atlanta