Need help...wearing out one side of brake pads more than the other

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2006, 02:57 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
If the pistons are moving freely, whatta hell could it be?
A warped spring plate? Brake dust builds up behind them and pushes them outward against the pads. The temporary solution is to file the edge of the pads down but eventually you get to a point where that will no longer work.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
A warped spring plate? Brake dust builds up behind them and pushes them outward against the pads. The temporary solution is to file the edge of the pads down but eventually you get to a point where that will no longer work.

That could be a problem. Or just corrosion/oxidizion of those plates. Those plates tend to do that in 993s & 964s and that could cause some problems. Definitely worth checking.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Jeff Curtis
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yup, I agree...remove your calipers and clean them up. Take out the spring plates and get all that dust buildup out from under them. Did you have a hard time getting your old pads out? Did you have a harder time getting the new ones in?? If so, the spring plates may be the culprit.

Mine get so bad the pads wind up riding "up" in the caliper slots to where pad material is hanging OVER the edge of the rotor...I notice this about every three pad sets.

FWIW, it's a bee-otch getting those springplates out - the screws are at an angle, difficult to get at and they're in there good!
Old 09-27-2006, 01:20 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Jason and Petu -Thanks for your input. I'll look into it.

Jeff - I have had no issues in getting the pads in or out. Thanks.
Old 09-27-2006, 04:34 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Mark,

I was tryong to say what the others did. I did not have any pics though.
Where the leading edge and the trailing edge of the pads are in the calipers gets corroded or otherwise mucked up. When the pistons push the pads towrd the rotor, the edge of the pads move in towrod the rotor but no freely back due to this crud. I do ususally hit the edges of the pad's backing plate too, but mostly it is the part of the caliper where the pad backing plate slides toward and away form the rotor that causes the problem.

If you have ever used a rubber mallet to force new pads in, that is the culprit.

Your problem sounds different though since there is no problem removing or dropping new pads in.
Old 09-28-2006, 12:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Hey John,

Thanks for the clarification!
Old 09-28-2006, 02:30 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 575 Likes on 255 Posts

One more possibility that has not been mentioned - uneven cooling. If you are using brake ducts to funnel air to the rotor, check to see if the hose on one side has a hole or perhaps have come loose, allowing air to escape. If one side is getting air and the other isn't, one side will got hotter than the other and wear faster.

Quick Reply: Need help...wearing out one side of brake pads more than the other