Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E Track Installation in Haulmark Thrifty Hauler?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006 | 10:02 AM
JoshuaB
Instructor

Question E Track Installation in Haulmark Thrifty Hauler?

E Track Installation in Haulmark Thrifty Hauler?

Has anyone installed E Track in a Haulmark Thrifty Hauler enclosed trailer? If so, I would like some guidance on what type of self-tapping screws were used. I want to make sure that I do not use screws that would go all the way through to the outside of the trailer. I will be installing E Track and Aluminum Beams as a tire rack.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joshua Barnes
Old 09-26-2006 | 10:20 AM
RickBetterley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Joshua
I have a CargoPro, so the expereince is maybe useful. I called CargoPro (now Thule) to get the dimensions of the vertical studs; mine are aluminum, box shaped, 1" deep (that is, when standing in the trailer looking at the wall, the depth of the stud is 1") and 1.5" wide (fore and aft trailer-wise).
I used 14x1" self drilling (different from self tapping) fastners (self drilling literally drills the hole for you) bought from a high quality fastner store near us; I would be careful about fastner quality.
1" was OK because the stud is 1" but then there is the wall thickness and the e-track.
I have heard of some using industrial adhesive as well (not sure where), but I did not.
Use every stud available; I sleep better knowing my 8 tires/wheels aren't crashing into the hood of my 993!
BTW, this e-track/shoring beam arrangement works very nicely.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Old 09-26-2006 | 08:53 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Josha I just installed a 4ft. tire rack and a helmet rack to my thrifty hauler last week. What's most important to remember is that the studs are 24" on center not 16". Because of the thickness of the aluminum box frame for the tire rack that sits against the wall, I used 2-1/2 inch,#14 self taping or self drilling screws ( I don't remember). I pre-drilled each hole to to make installation easier and then just screwed in the # 14 screw with my cordless. Remember there's a layer of 3/8 plywood on the studs....
Old 09-27-2006 | 04:41 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Go easy with the cordless or you'll do what I did and ream out the stud so that the bolt threads no longer bite on anyting. CAUTION. Do not over tighten.
Old 09-27-2006 | 05:11 PM
jrgordonsenior
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by John H
Go easy with the cordless or you'll do what I did and ream out the stud so that the bolt threads no longer bite on anyting. CAUTION. Do not over tighten.
Good point! My cordless has a adjustable clutch so tht you can progressively go deeper....

Quick Reply: E Track Installation in Haulmark Thrifty Hauler?