Katherine Legg in the Kink

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 01:18 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

Originally Posted by 87turbo911
What I was thinking wasn't armco...I was thinking about Ralf Schumacher at Indianapolis when a tire blew out at turn 13 (?...the one that takes you onto the oval) and he slammed into the wall...but that wasn't that long ago...and it wasn't in the race...
What your thinking of is Indy in 2004, in practice when he broke his back. What I'm referring to is the Toyota backing in to not only the armco, but I believe it was a post near the armco. I know it was Allan McNish, because whenever I see him in the Audi, I think of the crash.... it was horrendous. Someone help me this... a mind is a terrible thing to waste
Old 09-25-2006, 07:16 AM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete,

I think you're thinking about McNish's accident at Suzuka in 2002 - he hit a wall section at 180mph and the one thing I remember most was seeing corner workers help him walk up the hill. It was amazing that he survived given the condition of the car.

Rick
Old 09-25-2006, 01:36 PM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,366 Likes on 1,993 Posts

That's the one!!!! I believe they recorded a negative g load of 180. Amazing that he walked away. Just as amazing as Legg walking away and smiling after her accident yesterday. The cars these days are simply incredible when it comes to safety.

It made me think of Da Matta's impact with the deer. There is no video of the impact, but I believe the deer may have hit Da Matta square in the helmet and the car either did not hit the deer or the front wing clipped the deer sending it back in a low position to the cockpit and hit Da Matta's helmet.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:11 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not being a student of such crashes, but didn't Nigel Mansell have the biggest/hardest smash on an Oval when he actually punched a hole in the concrete! I seem to remember that somebody forgot to tell him that if you lose it, don't ry to catch it as it "high sides" you into the concrete but instead, turn more so the car comes down the banking. However, I guess 25 years of trying to catch a loose back end is a hard habit to break!
Old 09-25-2006, 04:36 PM
Bigpinekey
Instructor

Here's a link to video for the incident I nabbed fron another site:

Legg's wreck
Old 09-25-2006, 04:50 PM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Wreck Me Otter
Jim Daniels had a left rear wheel failure at turn-in of the Kinkk and it folded under the car, did a 360 and hit the wall flush on the driver side. I've been told that he's okay.

It did quite a number but considering what happened and where it happened the car didn't look that bad. Of course the side is completly flat and most everything on the side is toast. Cars from that stable didn't fare well, one of their other cars hit the wall on drivers left in 13 before the bridge nearly breaking the right front wheel off during qualifying. He was fine and was able to put it back together and race.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

I was in turn 12 when it happened. A friend of mine with a radio was keeping us posted. It was a very scary moment when he said "Katherine Legge went off in the Kink at full speed - car is destroyed, driver compartment is upside down, race is being red flagged".

Not a fun afternoon, at least until word got out she was up and about, with only a few bruises.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:58 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Whoa.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

I saw her last night at the Atlantic awards banquet and very glad to see here there. In a nice dress, no less. Wow, what a shunt! Glad she's still with us!!!
Old 09-26-2006, 12:29 AM
cooleyjb
Documenter of Ineptitude
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Couple of pics from the day that were fun

Pace car ladies for the Atlantic race sporting the Peltors

They were out a few times for things like this

Legge during practice in Turn 5

and the eventual winner of the mx-5 cup demo derby

Old 09-26-2006, 09:57 AM
MarkSchu
Instructor

Just saw her on Good Morning America. Her main comment was that she was sad that her "pretty" car was ruined! Quite a girl.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:49 PM
Wreck Me Otter
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I also saw an interview with hear at the track where she said that they wanted to put her on a backboard after getting her out of the car and she said something to the effect "No thanks, I would rather walk. I really have to pee though."....

Here's Jim Daniels in-car video of his wreck...two broken ribs is what he reports...

JD RA Kink Crash, WOW!!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
jsabatini
Drifting

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Other than the relief that she was OK, the most amazing part of the video clip was how fast the safety crew got to her. They are the best in the business!
Old 09-26-2006, 10:08 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by jsabatini
Other than the relief that she was OK, the most amazing part of the video clip was how fast the safety crew got to her. They are the best in the business!
It took like 25 seconds from the moment the car went off to the point where someone had their head in the cockpit talking to her. These guys are the best around!!

More videos including the CBS interview from this morning:
http://www.members.shaw.ca/MrTurtle/index.htm
Old 09-26-2006, 11:26 PM
lawjdc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cooleyjb
I was there, and the most amazing thing other than the fact that she walked away was the total silence of the crowd once everyone realized what happened. I'll get some pics up later, I thankfully wasn't near the kink when this happened but I have a few others from the weekend. MX-5 cup was also a crash fest but man they looked like some real fun
I was in turn 5 for the Miata crash fest. Some very, very good driving, some not so good. But hilariously entertaining!

Quick Reply: Katherine Legg in the Kink