Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DE newbie and I need some advice please....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 05:14 PM
genikz
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At my first DE, one of the instructors threw out this great tip:

If you do use factory lap and shoulder belts, move your seat back one or two clicks. Fasten the seat belt and adjust it tight on your body...now move your seat up the one or two clicks back.

It works great and really holds your *** in that seat!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:45 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U guys are awesome ...thanks for all the great feedback and advice...I have been going thru the local DE handbook and watching the track video and reviewing the trackmap...

Cool thing...the local PCA has set up a mentor program for newbies, got an email from my mentor today...will be asking him a ton of questions...what a great idea to keep us greenies from getting frustrated or confused and giving up...Yeehaw

Fluids recently changed and have just bled the brakes (I do have fresh blue), torqued lugs, set cold air pressure, and still need to remove center caps....I do have 2 harnesses and sport seats, so u do get a snug fit, but the harnesses are older than 5yrs old...will see what they want to do...

Almost forgot I have painters tape for the lights and for track numbers...any tricks there?? should I use bra previous owner passed on to me??? Hey Dave any ideas?? u may have seen Brent's car all set up for DE's...

I would like to thank (my Oscar acceptance speech):
Roscoe - I am gonna "think smooth"
Zffnhsn - I have FLUSHED it
Dave Morris - I will take care that u get your future car intact...
BbbT993 - I am gonna get the "Feel"
Mhm993 - I just installed my permanant s-eatin grin
Cooz - I will "listen, look, smell, feel"..just won't tell the wife
Agio - I will definitely "ENJOY"
MPaton - I will look for ya there...I am number 390, red RSA
Bruinbro - I got #6 burned into my retinas...
Rrrockhound - good luck in 2 weeks for #2
Redlineman - "Here's to hoping nothin falls off"...
Tinman944 - ditto
Don Plumley - I am sittin atop the slipperly slope...good thing I am a good skier...
Smankow - I got me track map handy
Genikz - I will try the seatbelt trick...
and also thanks to the (Rennlist) Academy...

Been wanting to do this for 20 years, finally getting my chance...so cool

Later...Wild Bill
Old 09-26-2006, 10:38 PM
Tom
Pro

I found electrical tape makes good numbers if you need to go that route (some groups provide numbers for you for your windows). Masking type tapes can get hard to remove and/or don't last well in rain. Electrical tape can be found in a variety of colors. I found white works well on my red car and of course basic black for lighter colors. I use clear tape on my fog lights to protect them anyhow and I've always thought that would be good to use on headlights to keep them functional. Of course taping the lights does have that 50's-60's racer look.

If you don't have seats with holes for the harness than forget about using them as they can too easily slide off the back of factory seats.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:18 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Wild Bill,

Not sure, but I think Brent may have used the bra. Can't really remember. But I do recall he seemed to be taking good care of it all the time.

20 years? Geez. Just please take it easy ... relax ... have fun ... and don't try to squeeze 20 years of anticipation into one weekend. Spread it out over the next 20 years.
Old 09-27-2006, 10:22 AM
TD in DC
Race Director

In the end, at least at DEs, all that matters is whether you are having a good time. That's it. Nothing else counts.

I saw a post the other day from a guy who had just finished his first DE day ever, and it was at Watkins Glen. In summarizing his experience, he said "I love my car. I love my instuctor. I love everyone."

That cracked me up because that's exactly how I feel after a great day on the track. (Yeah, you can love your car even if it isn't a "real" Porsche )

After a good day at the track, it is almost like I am drunk before I have even had a drink. That's the reason why I got addicted to this sport in the first place.

so . . . just go have fun.
Old 10-03-2006, 10:54 PM
boze_man
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all...thanks again for the advice. I wanted to post a quick update, and will hopefully get the long version finished and posted with the details.

It was AWESOME. All I could say is WOW, I am hooked. Started off as a very tentative novice and finished the weekend a confident (not overly by any means) Blue group driver. I even did my solo ride in the last session. Truly an AMAZING experience....I was transformed, maybe even reborn, it all came together on Sunday. I must thank my instructors and all involved for putting on a great event (well done Michael...nice to meet you!)

Thanks again
Bill

Quick Reply: DE newbie and I need some advice please....