Who's towing an enclosed trailer with an f150

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 11:07 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Who's towing an enclosed trailer with an f150

I know there are a lot of threads on towing and which vehicles/trailers are best, but I'm curious if anyone here is currently pulling a 20ft enclosed trailer (aluminum or steel) with a newish f150 (5.4 v8) and what the experience has been like. I'm contemplating an 06. I'd also love to know what suggstions or lessons learned on setup you might have.

Thanks,
Sean
Old 09-24-2006, 01:06 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tow with a Yukon XL Denali which has more power then your F150 (6L & 320 hp), and I can tell you that for an enclosed trailer, you may not have enough power. It was fine when I had an open trailer, but with the added weight and wind resistance of a 24' enclosed Featherlite, it really works hard on the hills. Plus it only gets around 8 mpg towing at 70. I am seriously looking at a diesel now.

As far as other recommendations, get a full blown weight distributing hitch system from Reese or Draw-tite, with the dual cam sway control. The "strait-line" package has it all and only costs around $500. Your trailer will go absolutely straight down the road. My big setup tows straighter and is more immune to sway than the open trailer I used to use.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-24-2006, 02:54 AM
JW in Texas
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exactly what Larry said. I was towing a 24' Featherlite with my supercharged, 340 hp Harley F150. I upgraded the tranny, rearend, & added airbags. Towed ok but I was getting about 8 mpg too.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:05 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Hmmm. So go diesel 250 or stick to an aluminum open trailer and get the 150 (but go with a weight distributing hitch either way). I take it the 150 is okay with an open trailer. I'm going to do some daily driving and children towing with this vehicle so I was hoping to avoid going to the 250. I take it I should go diesel as long as I go 250, but it's a pretty expensive upgrade. I thought the 150 was a better choice based on comments here about people towing with a Tahoe, Yukon, Expedition, etc. If a pickup isn't that much better, I might go with the SUV and an open trailer because of the more kid/family friendly options. Maybe I'll look at some pre owned Powerstroke Excursions - any idea how they are with and enclosed trailer?

Edit: BTW - there should be a towing forum on this site, there are enough questions/posts about it.

Thanks
Old 09-24-2006, 09:40 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 5.4L (300hp, 365Tq) is fine with an open trailer, either in an Expedition or F150, but I wouldn't pull and enclosed trailer with that set-up. I have two friends who went the diesel Excursion route, one is Dr. Jupeman here (dog, kids, etc.), and are very happy with that. The new Expedition XL (bigger) is coming for '07, if it isn't already available, but i haven't seen that a diesel will be available, likely due to emission regs in that weight class (same reason no diesel in the F150).
Old 09-24-2006, 09:50 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 272 Likes on 166 Posts

Sean, test drive different trucks if you haven't already. I did and found the Chevy 2500 HD Diesel (360 HP - 650 Ft/LB T!) to be the smoothest of all of them in both ride and noise levels. It also has (had anyway) more power and torque than anything in it's class. Mine gets about 13MPG towing, averaging 70+ MPH uphills and down. The 6 speed Allison is a dream, and with the tow mode you seldom touch the brakes, even on the steepest hills.. I couldn't be happier with the choice I made, and I tried all of them (Big three diesels I mean).

Last edited by Gary R.; 09-24-2006 at 10:10 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Cope
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you go the diesel route on a truck there is no looking back. More power, a lot more torque (especially on the low end where you need it to get that trailer moving), and better fuel mileage. Also with a bigger truck you get a heavy duty suspension, bigger brakes, etc., which makes it just plain safer for hauling/towing heavier loads. What's not to like? As far as children hauling, just get a crewcab and you won't have any complaints. I've used my F-350 Powerstroke as a daily driver for 4 years and towed lots of trailers, its a very versatile vehicle and so much better than any gasoline truck I've ever owned.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 AM
MDL
Racer

I agree with the Gary R. I have a F250 and there is nothing like towing with a diesel. That said, The 6.0's have had their fair share of trouble. Ford is coming out with a new diesel sometime in 07 that is supposed to be twin turbo and nave no turbo lag. A friend of mine just bought a new Dodge Diesel and it is so quiet is unbelievable, and you cannot smell any fumes when it's running and your standing next to it!!! Once you tow with a diesel you will never go back.

Dan.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Gary - good point, I'm going to try out the Chevy.

MDL - what kind of trouble have the 6.0's had?

Man, the slippery slope on this hobby is crazy, like the track car isn't enough already. Started out thinking light aluminum open trailer and V8 SUV and now I'm looking at diesel trucks and enclosed trailers...does it ever end?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:44 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Let me think long and hard about that question...
no

Old 09-24-2006, 10:50 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Sure is fun, however!!
Old 09-24-2006, 11:08 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Sean,
This is probably off-topic, but IMHO an enclosed trailer is not really a necessity unless you're really heavy into racing. They're nice to have ... but they add a lot of additional complexies ... towing capacity is just one.
Old 09-24-2006, 12:17 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Dave - of course your correct that an enclosed trailer adds issues but it also makes life a LOT better on days when the weather isn't cooperating and in my case it is both a garage bay and shed for all my car stuff, especially in the winter!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:21 PM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Hey Dave
Racing is definitely in my future at some point (like after I learn to drive). Figure I'd get a jump start rather than having to swap out in a year or two.
Old 09-24-2006, 03:14 PM
MDL
Racer

The 6.0's have had problems with head gaskets. It seems like the guys that add a performance chip seem to have trouble. I have 59,500 on mine and the only issue I've had was a fuel pump that went out a couple of weeks ago. Ford fixed it under warranty ($100.00 deductible) Some people have had trouble with injectors as well. Overall I love my F 250. I would wait till the new one's come out if you want a Ford. All of the manufactures are giving great deals right now. My friend who bought the Dodge got a fully loaded 4 door truck for just over $40,000. I'm not a big Dodge fan, but the new diesel is very impressive.

Dan.

Quick Reply: Who's towing an enclosed trailer with an f150