Insurance New Trend In Coverage

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 38D
For those of you that think you can control things at less than 10/10th, you are just kidding yourselves. **** happens on a race track: tires can blow, CVs can break, wheel bearings can sieze, brakes can fail, etc. Or maybe the guy in front will drop oil, sending you into a wall. Driving at 6/10ths is till plenty fast to do major damage to your car. If you can't afford to wad up your car, don't take it to the track. I would never track a daily driver, though I have foolishy done so in the past.
Originally Posted by JayP
Not just one's own ability but what of the 20-30 other cars on track? My moment of clarity was seeing an Audi spin about a foot off my rear when I let off to see if a Porsche was about to cross my path.
You guys are correct but I honestly think driving on I-95 here in S. Fla is by far, and I really mean by far, more dangerous than doing 8/10ths (or less) in an DE enviroment.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:35 PM
kary993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Racer
Not many people have the same thoughts or understanding and rely on their street policy so it is good to know what the insurance industry thinks of our hobby.
I find this hard to believe that people do not know their cars are not covered on a race track. Most policies say that you must be on public roads to be covered. Race tracks are not public roads obviously.

Second, most folks that attend these events always ask me, does my insurance cover anything that happens out here? I always say no. Some people even go as far as to say they will take their car out on the street in the event of an accident and make a claim there even though it happened on the track.....they are just asking for a huge fine and possible jail time.

Very simple...if you cannot afford to replace your car you have no business going out on a track.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by JayP
Not just one's own ability but what of the 20-30 other cars on track? My moment of clarity was seeing an Audi spin about a foot off my rear when I let off to see if a Porsche was about to cross my path.
I'm not sure I really need to keep track of 20 other cars to avoid problems caused by others. Certainly not the ones behind me. Maybe one or two right in front of me is more likely the case. If one were to carefully read my post one would see the acknowledgement of risks and suggestions about how to mitigate the risks, not eliminate them. No doubt **** happens and I would absolutely agree that you'd be foolish to think you can control everything going on an a race track. And I'm pretty sure I said as much.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:02 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Finn wrote:
You guys are correct but I honestly think driving on I-95 here in S. Fla is by far, and I really mean by far, more dangerous than doing 8/10ths (or less) in an DE enviroment.
I-95 is a walk in the park compared to the 401 in Toronto at 5:00 PM
Old 09-23-2006, 06:04 PM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

USAA covered my GT3 total but I was only doing DEs....never raced. I know they would never cover another.

Solution: Got a supercharged M3 for the track and I have just ordered a C2 for the street. I could walk away from the M3 if I had to.

My insurance for a 2000 M5 and a GT3 ( before the wreck) was about $980 less per year then for a 2006 GMC pickup and a 97 M3(after the wreck)!

I wonder what it will be when the 997 goes on the policy??
Old 09-23-2006, 06:14 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,548 Likes on 818 Posts

USAA now expressly excludes all on track & off road incidents from all coverage, as does Chubb & many others.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you think you can not worry about the cars behind you in a fast, advanced run group, I'd be happy to introduce you to some folks who have had the car behind them suffer a complete loss of brakes at the end of a very high speed straight...with very noisy results.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:17 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

"If you think you can not worry about the cars behind you in a fast, advanced run group, I'd be happy to introduce you to some folks who have had the car behind them suffer a complete loss of brakes at the end of a very high speed straight...with very noisy results."

And how did the drivers of those cars whose brakes failed, handle the issue that they wadded sombody elses car?
Old 09-23-2006, 07:23 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by RSchoeni
And how did the drivers of those cars whose brakes failed, handle the issue that they wadded sombody elses car?
Insurance paid for both cars. But that was luck. Once you sign a DE waiver, you are on your own..regardless if it is not your "fault".
Old 09-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by RSchoeni
"If you think you can not worry about the cars behind you in a fast, advanced run group, I'd be happy to introduce you to some folks who have had the car behind them suffer a complete loss of brakes at the end of a very high speed straight...with very noisy results."

In one case, the driver of the car with the failed brakes had his insurance cover both. In another, the driver said something like "check the release we all signed" and went his own way. Don't know the outcome of the third.

All of these cases were some years ago, in one case over 20 years ago. People do read those waivers that they sign, right?
Old 09-23-2006, 08:04 PM
RSchoeni
Instructor

The track is not a place for insurance companies...personal integrity should rule. I approach DE's/track days where if I ball my car up, I replace it. If I run into your car, I'll do what I can to compensate you (can't afford to buy you a new Twin Turbo though) and I'll apologize when you've cooled-off some. Like wise, if you wreck mine, I'd like at least some sort of apology, help with parts would be nice but not expected. But I'd still be pissed for awhile.

Regards,
Bob Schoeni
Factory Five Cobra
Old 09-23-2006, 09:00 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 38D
Insurance paid for both cars. But that was luck. Once you sign a DE waiver, you are on your own..regardless if it is not your "fault".
Exactly! Sign a waiver and then whine when **** happens? ASSume insurance coverage and then whine....WTF is that?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:52 PM
Capt. Carrera
Racer

if you think your insurance should cover you at DE events ask yourself this question, and ask it honestly….

Will you under-write me at my next track day? My street policy coverage cost works out to $1.25 a day. So I'll give you $2.50 for the weekend, and you take the risk of replacing my $25,000 Carerra. Sound fair? I’ll be running 10/10th, and mixing it up bumper-to-bumper with other instructors. Oh, and odds are I’ll be trying some really advanced techniques that could quite likely result in an “off” later Sunday afternoon.

Fair deal?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:08 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Capt. Carrera
if you think your insurance should cover you at DE events ask yourself this question, and ask it honestly….

Will you under-write me at my next track day? My street policy coverage cost works out to $1.25 a day. So I'll give you $2.50 for the weekend, and you take the risk of replacing my $25,000 Carerra. Sound fair? I’ll be running 10/10th, and mixing it up bumper-to-bumper with other instructors. Oh, and odds are I’ll be trying some really advanced techniques that could quite likely result in an “off” later Sunday afternoon.

Fair deal?
I understand your point, but......one could reply:

Will you under-write me at my next public road drivng day? Most street policy coverage cost works out to $1.25 a day. So I'll give you $1.25 for the day, and you take the risk of replacing my $50,000 Carerra S. Sound fair? I’ll be running on two lane country roads lined with oak trees, constantly passing cars going 40-50mph in the opposite direction, passing blind intersections at 40mph+ and counting on all other drivers paying attention to small roadside signs and passive lights, then running within 10-20 feet of other cars front and back and 3-4 feet away on the sides at 70-75mph, and mixing it up bumper-to-bumper with others on cell phones, putting on makeup, drunks and anti-social personalities. Oh, and odds are I’ll be trying to make up time when I am late to work in the morning, pressing my luck at signs, lights and during merges at high speed, then will do the same returning home later that afternoon.

No? I know many Insurance Companies who will and do.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 AM
DanS911
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And don't forget getting stuck behind that truck or SUV where you can't see who's doing what up ahead........of course that could happen on the track too now days

Quick Reply: Insurance New Trend In Coverage