Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool Porsche Wins at Silver State!!!

Hi all,

<gloat>
Just got back from the Silver State Classic in Ely, NV. I'm proud to say that our '99 996 cabriolet took home the gold, crossing the finish line at 0.04 seconds from target time. Kudos to my wife and navigator for dialing in on zero, and this after some 80 miles of frantic confusion (but really fun driving). It was the most competitive class, with 29 entries.

Not bad for our second time at this, eh?! Hawt diggety dawg!!!
</gloat>

Race Statistics
Target Speed: 110 MPH
Distance: 90 Miles
Average Speed: 110.0016 MPH
Variance from Target (Speed): 0.0016 MPH
Variance from Target (Time): 0.04 secs

Generally, the event was a hoot this year! Roughly 40% more cars than last year and many of them Porsches and other exotics. Next year will mark the 20th anniversary of the SSCC and should produce an even greater turnout. Hope you can make it!!!

On the downside, a stretch of loose gravel on Route 50 did considerable damage to our poor cab. Cracked the windshield in two places and cratered the paint in several more. I'm beginning to see why people trailer their cars to these events. Ironically, we had packed our car cover, expecting hail storms. No good. Always some yin with the yan....

Pictures, you ask? But of course! And, yes, that is indeed John Schneider's orange Charger parked behind our 996.

Dave
Attached Images      
Old 09-19-2006, 06:18 PM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 149 Posts

What preparations and safety are required for the 110 mph class?
And congrats--sounds like an absolute thrill!!
Old 09-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Awesome results! The 110mph class is tough....tough to go that slow! Seriously, that class traditionally has a large number of entrants, so the competition is very tough. At last years Gamblers Run, I finished in second place in the 110mph class....by .001mph!

Good job

Rich
Old 09-19-2006, 07:01 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by mhm993
The reason 110 MPH is so popular (read "competitive") is because it is the fastest speed class in the "Touring Division," which imposes very modest safety requirements. These are (summarized from the 2006 rule book):
  • A 2.5 lb. minimum, automotive BC fire extinguisher, with secure quick-release mounting bracket made of metal must be mounted within easy reach of the driver.
  • Factory seat belts, OEM (or better)
  • DOT approved "U" rated tires (or better)
  • SNELL Foundation SA 95 (or later) helmet
  • Non-synthetic clothing (cotton, wool, leather, etc.) covering torso, arms, legs, plus gloves and leather-topped shoes.

That's pretty much it. By contrast, should you gravitate to the "Grand Touring" division, you'll need a roll bar and a five- or six-point safety harness system.

Again, I skipped some details for clarity. The complete 2006 SSCC Rule Book is available online for download.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave
Old 09-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by Richard S
Awesome results! The 110mph class is tough....tough to go that slow!
Hee hee.... And thank you!

Apparently, many were surpassing their tech speeds long before reaching Ely. We ran our scanner en route and, by the time we reached town, could point out half a dozen vehicles that had already been busted by NHP. It's a cruel world.

2nd place for 0.001?! What a rip!!!

Dave
Old 09-19-2006, 07:45 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:27 PM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No roll bars required for cabs in a class that approaches speeds of 124mph?!? And they even allow harness bars and harnesses in cars (including cabs) without requiring rollbars. At those speeds the kinetic energy would sure put a nice dent in the roof in a rollover.

Danger Will Robinson, Danger!!!!

Oh, and congrats on the win!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:20 AM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Congrats - I hope to make it out there one year to run
Old 09-20-2006, 09:29 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Congrats. Now use your winnings to buy a coupe & put in a cage!
Old 09-20-2006, 03:18 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congratulations to you both! It was great to meet you and Linda. As you can see from the results , we didn't do quite so well in the 120mph category, so I hope you'll fit a rollbar like mine to come and show us how to do it in the faster categories!

See you in May,

Simon
Old 09-20-2006, 03:48 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Originally Posted by mhm993
There is one very important requirement I forgot to mention: First-timers are required to attend the driver training in Las Vegas or must otherwise provide proof of similar driving education (e.g., race permit, diploma).

For many, the Vegas option is the most convenient and fun, being that you'll be with fellow Silver Staters and can caravan up to Ely for the race the next day. On the downside, this will cost you an extra day of vacation and, depending on your locale, a couple hundred miles on your odometer. [Ely and Vegas aren't exactly neighbors.]

If you instead opt to provide alternate education credentials, be sure to verify with SSCC well in advance (and prior to investing your time and money) because they are very particular. My wife & I got by with our Porsche Driving Experience diplomas, but I've since heard that we got off easy.

I hope this is helpful.

Dave
Old 09-20-2006, 04:16 PM
chrisp
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the pre-race driving school like and who ran it?
Old 09-20-2006, 05:22 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

MKM does not require a pre-race school for rookies, but instead closes a 10 mile section of the course on Friday before the event for rookie training. Basically all rookies drive with an instructor to demonstrate ability to drive at their chosen speed class. There is some general instruction before they get to drive. All this takes place at the event location, so no need to make an extra trip anywhere. Also, rookies are allowed up to the 130mph class, no higher.

Check out the post on the 928 board for a re-cap of the Pony Express ORR last month with pics.
https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...6&page=1&pp=15

Rich
Old 09-20-2006, 07:41 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Dave,

Congrats on a great run! I see you're parked next to Roland (Ruf Turbo R)... do you happen to know how he did out there? I know he belongs to the 200 mph club.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:39 PM
Dave_D
Instructor

Hey, Simon! It was great meeting you and Will. Before we consider the rollbar, we're gonna need to repair all of this "hail" damage. The windshield was confirmed DOA yesterday. We've been coveting a "turbo look" body kit for some time now. This may give us the final incentive.

Linda tells me you posted some pics, just before she had to dash off for Europe. Please share!!!

Dave

Quick Reply: Porsche Wins at Silver State!!!