Feds to require stability control on all vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 02:29 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feds to require stability control on all vehicles

Oh boy, this is a good one. (not really)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/09/14/...esc/index.html
Old 09-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

How's it not a good idea for the public at large?
Old 09-14-2006, 03:05 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Because, even the GT3RS is a passenger vehicle right ?

unless it can be TOTALLY disabled, I guess ?
Old 09-14-2006, 04:39 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Thank you Uncle Sam, thank you for protecting me from myself. Thank you for taking away any reason I had to become a better driver.

This will make talking on my cell phone while driving through a snow storm so much easier!!!
Old 09-14-2006, 05:15 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Thank you Uncle Sam, thank you for protecting me from myself. Thank you for taking away any reason I had to become a better driver.

This will make talking on my cell phone while driving through a snow storm so much easier!!!
Maybe easier for them(driving their minivan or suv through said storm), but more importantly safer for me. Do you really think that not having ESC currently motivates any of the knucklehead non-drivers to improve their driving skills? And it's not like there aren't tons of vehicles with ESC on the highways now.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:28 PM
BrianKeithSmith
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just think about the Corvette drivers, for instance. I'm not saying its a bad thing - in general - but for the guys that take off-the-floor street cars to the track, I hope you can disable it.

Do other countries require this?

Brian
Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM
smankow
Pro

remember, at this point in time, this is only a PROPOSED REGULATION. Even though the U.S. manufacturers are including it by certain dates, it is not required.

BTW, my tow vehicle has Ford's version of ESC and you are able to turn it off. I don't know if it is totally off, though.

Steve
Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 PM
Jarez Mifkin
Three Wheelin'

I was in my sister-in-law's G35 coupe the other day and switched off the traction control on a nice country road...only to have it jump on while I was in a small drift....It took all I had to keep it together trying to fight the computer. Unless you can completly turn it off, I see it as more of a problem than anything else on a performance car for people that know what they are doing. Now for the people that don't know how to drive I see the need for it. Surely Porsche will come up with a way to turn off the PSM with out ditching the ABS by 2009.....
Old 09-14-2006, 08:14 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
.......................................Surely Porsche will come up with a way to turn off the PSM with out ditching the ABS by 2009.....
Sure, if Nanny The Government allows them to do so.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:18 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
............Do you really think that not having ESC currently motivates any of the knucklehead non-drivers to improve their driving skills?....
And, do you believe that when these same knucklehead drivers are told by their Nanny Government, and the Manufacturers who want to impress the brain-dead, that their cars will now "take care of them", that they won't relax even further their limited skills....maybe even try more boneheaded maneuvers, expecting "it" to save them?
Old 09-14-2006, 09:21 PM
Rrrockhound
Racer

Originally Posted by Bull
And, do you believe that when these same knucklehead drivers are told by their Nanny Government, and the Manufacturers who want to impress the brain-dead, that their cars will now "take care of them", that they won't relax even further their limited skills....maybe even try more boneheaded maneuvers, expecting "it" to save them?
This was the prediction when ABS and air bags first came out, and it didn't come true. I bet if you dug a little further, you'd probably find ppl said something similar about seat belts and padded dashboards. Personally, I look FORWARD to the day when a central DOT computer drives all cars, with no driver input. It'll make my morning commute safer by taking the idiots out of the equation, and I'll still be able to go to the track and actually drive.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:05 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Rrrockhound
This was the prediction when ABS and air bags first came out, and it didn't come true. I bet if you dug a little further, you'd probably find ppl said something similar about seat belts and padded dashboards. Personally, I look FORWARD to the day when a central DOT computer drives all cars, with no driver input. It'll make my morning commute safer by taking the idiots out of the equation, and I'll still be able to go to the track and actually drive.
Thanks for identifying yourself. You aren't Joan Claybrooke are you?
Old 09-14-2006, 10:20 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jmorris3
Surely Porsche will come up with a way to turn off the PSM with out ditching the ABS by 2009.....
Or some enterprising individual will. For racing purposes only, not for street use.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bull
Good point, but I doubt it. You're assuming they give a second thought to driving, which I doubt.

P.S.
Brian, the car is gorgeous and the Liddy quote is priceless. Not really a hard core conservative myself, but it really rings true.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:59 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
Good point, but I doubt it. You're assuming they give a second thought to driving, which I doubt.

Likely right, but I believe they actually give some minor thought to driving due of some concern for self preservation and , more likely, a desire not to inconvenience themselves in their oh-so-important missions. Once "told" that those two issues will be taken care of by Big Nanny, we are really doomed!

Quick Reply: Feds to require stability control on all vehicles