Sponsored by:

Feds to require stability control on all vehicles

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 05:30 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
I'd much rather he learn about car control on a skid pad with an instructor than at midnight in the rain with a car full of kids. They need to develop good judgement with or without good car control skills. I'd rather it was with.

Well said,...before I heard this on TV, I never even thought of that possibility, a little something to keep in mind I guess. I absolutely agree with the usefulness of these courses, and will higly recommend it to my nephews when they grow up, but I'll let my brother know of this little tidbit too.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:52 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

The majority of Americans need a car that drives itself. Few people are like us and enjoy the many subtleties of driving. They just want to get to where they want to go and not have to share the ride.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:53 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,204 Likes on 1,243 Posts

Originally Posted by Russ Murphy
That's why my kid will be doing BMW's Street Survival school as soon as he's 16. And DE's as soon as he's 18 (or whatever the minimum age is at the time).
This should be mandatory for everyone before they are allowed to drive on the open road. This would save more lives than all other "safety" devices put together.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:24 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeva
FYI: A Television show on something automotive was saying a Canadian study revealed that teenagers who took survival courses were more prone to getting into trouble than those who did'nt. Even though their skills improved, they also thought they were invisible, knew everyting and were taking more risks. So, survival training alone may not be enough.

P.S: Well i heard it, sounded strange, and I thought I'll say something. I'm not making any value judgements here.
Yeah, that sounds pretty strange to me: the idea that any course of instruction could make teenagers think they knew everything and were invincible, and better drivers than the rest of the idjits out there? I thought that was a chemical reaction that happened the first time they touched the accelerator?

As Alexander has found out - the state of the technology has improved dramatically over the last few years. The stuff I did a couple of years ago, in 2004-2006 cars, is notably better than what came out in 1998-2000, and the stuff I'm doing now/have done for MY2007 cars is that much better again. It will continue to jump forward as algorithm development continues.
Old 09-19-2006, 05:09 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

The Notice of Proposed Rulemaking was finally published (online) today. And before anyone sends in their complaints I suggest actually reading the Preliminary Regulatory Impact Analysis unlike the first guy to send in comments. The projected per vehicle cost is $111 and YES the manufacturers are allowed to put in a ON/OFF button. So for all the people complaining about Porsche's $$$ decision on the 997 sunroof and the regulations involved now is the time to write in. There will definitely be people writing in that are against the ON/OFF button.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:03 PM
944racer
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just prefer to be the one that gets blamed for burning out, skidding through intersections, or whatever. I don't want to have to blame a computer for a jerky ride. That takes away all the fun...

Quick Reply: Feds to require stability control on all vehicles