Sponsored by:

993 C4 vs C4S on track

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:00 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 993 C4 vs C4S on track

I am about to sell my 993 C4 Cab for a more track worthy coupe. Does anybody have experience of the 993 C4 vs C4S on the track? Weight vs grip?
Old 09-10-2006, 03:27 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a big difference b/ween C4 & C4S but since you're looking for more trackworthy coupe, why are you looking for a 4 wheel drive?

Get C2 (or C2S) instead. It's quite a bit lighter and more nimble which will be better and more fun at track.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:49 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

I have thought about it. Two things give me pause.

1. I currently have a C4 (cab) and on the track the 4wd gives me confidence. I feel that at my level of driving (especially on fast tracks like Road America in the carousel) it may have saved my butt a few times - could be just perception though.

2. I live in Chicago and drive the car year round so 4wd drive makes sense for me hear.

But I would be interested to hear comparisons from anybody that has owned both.
Old 09-10-2006, 04:06 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

D

As to the track, I think you'll find that a C2 will feel very hooked up and grippy. I know something of your abilities, you'd have no problem with a 993 or newer C2. And, as a plus, it will feel a bit more lively

But of course, the C4 makes all kinds of sense for Dec thru March in Chicago. Though in reality there aren't that many days when you have to have all wheel drive. (Then you take the train LOL)

Did you make Road America - I saw you were registered? If so, sorry I missed you.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:15 AM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Hi Mike, great to hear from you. Yes I was at RA and looked for you too. I was only there Saturday and part of Sunday thought. I told Chuck to say hi from me.

Great to have your input on the C2. I am leaning that way as it is 110lbs lighter than the C4. I know you probably would recommend a 944 but for now I love my 993.

Will you be at octoberfest?

DR
Old 09-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Probably will be in the mountains, unfortunately.

BTW There is a 993 RS replica (C class) for sale if you want a track only 993. Then you can keep your cab as your driver. (And I'm sure you can be as convincing with your wife as you are with your Fortune 500 clients )
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 97 C4S. It has the factory suspension with the factory SUV ride height. I love it on the track, but I bought it before I started to track it. Once I bought it I was invited to Autobahn in Joliet, and it was over, I was hooked on tracking the car. It's probably not the best track car, but the benefits to the S is the big brakes. Definately not the best if you plan on D Class club race.

Stock suspension works fine starting out, but I am planning on a suspension upgrade.

I just got back from Road America, decent track times, with no issues. Lots of fun for me.

I think you get minimal help with the AWD system. I have spun this on the track once and realized very quickly that a 911 fells much better when you have your foot in the gas. keep the suspension loaded. You may also get some help when you transition to a straight line breaking and setting up for a turn. Also, I don't hear many complaints from he 993TT with the AWD, granted they have the power too.

I live in the west suburbs of Chicago and there is no way I would drive this car in the winter. I have a Cayenne and a Toyota Truck, so this is not a daily driver for me, but it could. However, I have heard that a C4S with good snow tires handles better then a Cayenne in the weather.

Jim.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:23 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

Good info. Mike. I think I would probably get a GT3 vs an Rs and a cab, but good thought. I am just not ready for the whole trailer thing yet.

Jim, did we have breakfast together at RA? Is your the black C4S I was racing (I mean educating against).

My C4 cab with snow tires is faultless in the winter.
Old 09-11-2006, 02:56 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Originally Posted by rabjohns
Good info. Mike. I think I would probably get a GT3 vs an Rs and a cab, but good thought. I am just not ready for the whole trailer thing yet.

Jim, did we have breakfast together at RA? Is your the black C4S I was racing (I mean educating against).

My C4 cab with snow tires is faultless in the winter.
That was me at RA. I have the Metallic Black C4S with tan interior. I am not sure if we had breakfast or not. That was probably on Sunday at the concession stand. The other days I would do the first run group and then go into town for breakfast.

I was in DE 2 so we were probably racing each other.

I think the only way people will remember me is if they see me with my dog. Either me or my wife was walking around RA with our copper colored Vizsla.

My vote is still for the C4S. After I posted the previous message I realized all of my cars are 4WD. Plus the C4S was a limited production car. I just wish it was a better PCA D Class car, but I do not want to change cars. The 993's have so much more character then the newer cars.

Since you were at RA, you didn't catch the supercup bug. Now I want a 993 Supercup. Not quite ready for a GT3 cupcar.

Jim
Old 09-11-2006, 03:18 PM
rabjohns
Rennlist Member

The C4S guy I had breakfast with was at Siebkins so probably somebody else but we were both in DE2.

I am not quite ready for a supercup yet, but I wouldn't mind a GT3. One of the reasons I am debating C2 vs C4 is that before I get a GT3 I sould spend some time practcing with RWD, although I must say that I will miss it in the rain.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:44 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Nope, that wasn't me. That might have been Arthur. He has a darker green C4S. I think the color is Aventuri...something Green.

It was luck I got my C4S here locally in Chicago. Good luck in your search. I think there is one in Scottsdale. Check the local PCA site. I think it was in excellent condition.

Jim

Quick Reply: 993 C4 vs C4S on track