Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad recommendation

Old 09-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake pad recommendation

I am looking to upgrade my track pads. Currently, I am using the KFP Magnum Gold pads, which are considered to be an 'intermediate' pad.

Details:
The car: 944S2, mild supension upgrade (400 lb springs front, 31mm hollow torsion bar rear).
Car weight - 3,000 lbs.
Brakes - stock (identical to the stock 951 setup).
Rotors: Solid, vented, Porsche OEM.
Pads: KFP Magnum gold

I run in the upper run groups in DE. Car is primarily used for DE, then some AX's, and the occasional drive to work. I also drive the car to the track.

The reason I wish to upgrade is this: during the last 5 minutes of a 20/25 minute DE session, my brakes will begin to fade. The pedal gets a little soft, and the pedal travel is greater. It is not drastic (the brake pedal ISN'T to the floor), but it is noticable. I suspect the KFP's aren't up to the task and are transferring too much heat into the caliper.

I know, I know - decrease the time when my foot's on the brakes. Working on that already. I've also added a brake cooling kit to my car, and it does seem to help.

So I'd like to try a different track pad to see if it helps. My options:

1. Pagid Yellow RS19's. Many folks recommend this pad. Will it be effective on my car? Rotor friendly, terrific stopping power, no fade.

2. PFC (97 compound). No fade, terrific stopping power.

3. BHC XPS - a couple steps above the KFP's, but still an 'intermediate' pad. Supposedly has terrific heat range, but some have seen fading issues with them.

4. Pagid Orange - Not as long lasting as the Pagid Yellows, but had many of the properites the Yellows do. I have heard some folks not liking them due to pad transfer issues.

So, what pad do you use? What pad to you recommend for my setup? Currently, I am leaning towards getting a set of Pagid Yellows.

Thanks,
-Zoltan.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:38 PM
Racerrob
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I ran the KFP "disco" golds for many years on my class "I" 944 until I had a problem with a certain batch of them. I liked that they were progressive and not, "on-off". I switched to Hawk blues which I hated as they were either on or off. I went to Hawk HT-10's and like them much better. Very progressive braking, no fade, the dust isn't horrible like the blues and they are lasting well. You might consider a set.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:51 PM
spazegun2213
Three Wheelin'

I would recomend the pagid Yellows. I have the blues for my sti and they were amazing! I never had fade (i also ahve SS lines and ate blue) and the initial bit was amazing. IMO there is nothing better than the yellows (one step up from the blues), and the only down side, is they are almost 2x the cost of the others. But if you can afford them, they are truely rotor friendly, and amazing pads.

+1 for the pagids.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Dr.Porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hawk Blacks.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Me likey PF97
Old 09-08-2006, 02:02 PM
shiners780
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Porterfield R4. It'll take a hell of a brake pad to get me to switch from these.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:04 PM
George A
Three Wheelin'

I just tried the new Hawk DTC-70's and are probably my favorite pad right now. I use to swear by HT-10's.

George
Old 09-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Thanks for the replies so far.

BTW: I do have SS brake lines, and am using Super Blue fluid.

I thought the Hawks were a bit too agressive for street use. Is this true?

Keep the recommendations coming...
-Z
Old 09-08-2006, 02:26 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

When my KFP's gave up on me (similar you your experience of fad after 15-20 min on track as my speeds increased) I went to hawk blues. On track I really love them. MUCH better initial bite and they take all the heat I can give them. I do need to be little more sensitive to potenial lock-up, but that is well worth the extra bit and fade resistance.

The only downside to Hawk blues is that when COLD they are hard on rotors. Once to temp they don't wear rotors much at all. I have run blues since 2003 and gone through 3 pad front pad sets maybe 1 set of rotors in that time. So to me that is great rotor wear. I believe if you run them cold that is when the can really wear down the rotor. I believe it has to do with the way the brake pad functions at low temps. It is more of an abrasive friction, but at higher temps it more or less adheres to the exisiting depostited pad material on the rotor and is more adhesive friction.

So while they are GREAT on track I am not sure you really want drive them much on the street.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:30 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk HT-10s here, and very happy with them. I do plan to try their newest pad, the DTC-70s just to say I did. The HT-10s are no more agreesive in street use than any other race pad i have used on the street, other than maybe the Hawk Blue 9012s due to their immediate initial bite.
Old 09-08-2006, 02:44 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally Posted by M758
When my KFP's gave up on me (similar you your experience of fad after 15-20 min on track as my speeds increased) ...
It is reassuring for me to know that I'm not the only 944 driver who had this fading issue.

-Z
Old 09-08-2006, 02:52 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-man
It is reassuring for me to know that I'm not the only 944 driver who had this fading issue.

-Z

Hey the KFP's are really nice pads, but in the end not a true race pad. Once you achieve certain speed levels they just fail to hold up. Mine were great for a while, but as I pushed harder harder they just reached their limits. Then it was time to move the hard core stuff.

The biggest issue is now going to be find pad that will work ok and not destry rotors on the street. I am lucky and don't need to work about street or cold performance.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:31 PM
mikew968
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

PFC 097's are:
easy to bed in
easy on rotors
don't fade
reasonable long life
no judder

Mike
Old 09-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Brian Morris
Instructor

I'll vote for PFC 97 as well. I've had good luck with them. I overheated Pagid Orange and got deposits.

--Brian Morris
89 951
Old 09-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Whilte the PFC's sound pretty good for the track, I have heard that if they are driven on the street (and not warmed up enough) then they tend to be a bit rough on the rotors. Keep in mind that I do drive this car on the street - and to the track (ie: I don't tow)

-Z

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake pad recommendation