Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 176 Likes on 112 Posts

I've been having lots of problems with Pagid Oranges.

In fact most of the 44s in our paddock were having brake issues last week.

I've been getting lots of reccos for the Hawk Blues and PFC 97s. I'll decide before Daytona.
Old 09-09-2006, 02:58 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Zoltan,

Try the Hawk Blues. Pagids are too fussy and expensive.
Old 09-09-2006, 03:55 PM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

Whilte the PFC's sound pretty good for the track, I have heard that if they are driven on the street (and not warmed up enough) then they tend to be a bit rough on the rotors. Keep in mind that I do drive this car on the street - and to the track (ie: I don't tow)
The PF97's are rougher on the rotors than OEM street pads but they aren't bad, they are a lot better than the Hawk blues as far as wear goes. The PF97's do squeal and make alot of brake dust, and if the dust isn't cleaned up it will destroy the finish on your wheels. I wouldn't recommend PF97's for a daily driver (been there, done that) but they are fine for a weekend cruiser that is driven to and from the track.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikew968
PFC 097's are:
easy to bed in
easy on rotors
don't fade
reasonable long life
no judder

Mike
I agree. I love mine.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:59 PM
jaydubya
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for PFC 97, have been using them since 1998 on my 82 911SC. The car has the stock size calipers and rotors and the 97s are one of the few pads that has not destroyed my rotors or generated too much heat for my tiny brake calipers/rotors.
Old 09-09-2006, 08:31 PM
Dan in Florida
Addict
Rennlist Member

PFC 97 for the track car.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:00 AM
RennenFlamme
Intermediate

i had hawk HPS+ on my wrx and not fully satisfied. i was running porterfields before and was much happier.. if that matters for porsche discussion
Old 09-10-2006, 10:08 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hawk HPS+ is high performance street pad. I wouldn't use them on track.
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Well I must be one of the few to like Pagid Orange. So far they have been able to do the job in very hot weather on the track.

I have heard good things about PF 97's as well and I may try them at some point.

As far as track and street driving is concerned why don't you just get street pads for the street and change pads once you get to the track. It's only a 15 minute job. Most of the 944 / 951 that I run with that are street legal do this with great results.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:27 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

I am still very satisfied with the PORSCHE SPORT PADS as as compromise. I rarely ever get noise from them on the street. After about 2 low speed stops cold, they have more initial bite than the stock pads ever had. From here, the amount of braking you get out of them depends on the amount of pressure you put in them. They have tremendous braking potential with plenty of reserve. I can actually brake about 1 cone later at the track with these.

If I were to go to swapping pads at the track, I would go to only running Pagid Yellows. The cost more than the Oranges, but last twice as long. Since I am very satisfied with the PORSCHE SPORT PADS, I see no reason to change.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:49 AM
N_Halbert
Rennlist Member

Had the pagid oranges but had the pad transfer issue.

Currently on my second set of PFC 97's. Really like them on track and for autocross. They cleaned off the Pagid build up. They are consistent over a 20-25 minute DE and easy to modulate.

Very Dusty though and it will bind to the rim finish if not removed. It will also cake on.

I had heard they were easy on the rotors but it looks like I will need a new set very soon. I have 20k street/autox/de miles on them. They were resurfaced shortly before putting the PFC's on and now have significant ridges. I have been using them on the street and don't know if the comments about the Hawks cold being rough on rotors apply here. I am considering finding a complementary street compound and doing the pad swap between events.

My mechanic was recommending the Pagid Black$ as a replacement for the oranges.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Using race pads on the street, where they operate fairly cold, is really tuff on rotors.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:45 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Hi Zoltin,
Mary introduced us at the NNJR event. I just put oranges on the car (white 951 S) (At Pete's RS BARN suggestion) two events ago at WGI. If you bed them in diligently, you will not have issues. So far they have great feel and stopping, I will have to let you know about longevity. You need a race pad at the speeds you are hitting. If you are driving the car as I know you are, you should just switch out pads when you do a bleed for the event. Blues will eat your wheels, but I hear pretty good things about the HT-10's. You can get Pagids from Riser up in NY he list in PANO. Good luck. Mark
Old 09-12-2006, 10:42 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dont have a 944 and my car weights 3300 pounds but my experience with the oranges have been terrific on track and street!
I would also like to add (sure you already thought about it) that upgrading your brake fluid to one with even higher boiling point may also decrease fade such as motul or my favorite castrol SRF.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:25 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

I agree with Tom about the fluid. I have seen several people boil over Porsche OEM on the track. I now run AP551, which consistantly gives me an extremely hard pedal regardless of car I put it in. With my 996, I did have some issues when I ran previously ATE. The fluid didn't boil over, but the pedal was always spongy regardless of the number of times I flushed it. It was my first and last experiences with ATE. I thought about switch to SS brake line, but swapping to AP551 firmed it right up.

Quick Reply: Brake pad recommendation