Notices
Racing & Drivers Education Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie question: how to find good driving (not racing) school in Norcal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 03:56 AM
ard
Burning Brakes

Received 206 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Newbie question: how to find good driving (not racing) school in Norcal?

Hi,

I usually hang out in the 993 forum. I have had my car ('95 993) for about 2 years and have only driven it on public streets, albeit on some "less frequented ones", in the SF Bay area. The only "closed course" experience I've had was a BMW Car Control Clinic which was "okay" (see below).

I'd like to take the leap and (learn to) drive my car on the track. I did a search here on RL and didn't find quite what I was looking for, but if suitable threads exist, feel free to repoint me to them.

How do I best get started?

I'd mainly like to grow my driving skills to (begin to) approach those of my very capable car and have some fun doing so.

My choices appear to be either:
1) the PCA DE's / HPDS (I did attend Ground School which is a pre-requisite)

2) or the providers not affiliated with a particular marque like Hooked on Driving, Tracquest (appears to be another organization now), or ???

3) or other marque's events (BMW, Audi, Lotus)

How have other p-car owners in this "predicament" made out?

Some random, hopefully relevant thoughts:

* I want instruction / seat time with an instructor, ideally one quite familiar with p-cars. This was my only ding on the otherwise good BMW CCC. Understandably the instructors were quite familiar with BMWs but didn't speak "p-car speak" equally as much (I knew that going in).

* I don't feel I want to pay the prices asked by Skip Barber or Jim Russell (at this point). I am sure they are excellent, but at this point I can't quite justify the cash outlay - plus I wouldn't be driving my own car.

* I thought about autocross - I haven't tried it yet and will likely give it a try.

Have other novices had good / bad / memorable experiences with either PCA, Hooked on Driving or other outfits that run driving schools here in NorCal, that they wish to share?

Many thanks
Old 09-07-2006, 04:45 AM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts

NCRC, which bought Tracquest, would be a great path for you (it was for me). Lots of Porsche drivers, good instruction, and reasonable and responsible people sharing the track with you. I don't have any affiliation with them other than occasionally instructing for them, but I've been very impressed with the way they run their show.

They have one-day events on September 22 and October 1 at Thunderhill, which is one of the best (and fastest) learning tracks in northern California. They also have events there October 20-21 and November 18-19. I don't know which I'll be attending yet, but if I'm there, I'm always happy to instruct fellow 911 drivers.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:20 AM
luckett
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out NASA (nasaproracing.com). While they don't offer as much track time per day as some other orgs, it's a bit more structured for people at a beginner/novice level. They have a Sears Point event coming up at the beginning of Oct.

And definately do an autocross so you can toss the car around and exceed the limit of adhesion without adverse consequences. It helps to know that feeling before you get on a big track.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:08 PM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

GGR is having a High Speed Driving School at Thunderhill on Sept 23-24. They have great instruction and the atmosphere is very casual. You'll see everything from a Cayman S to Hank Watts 800+ hp green demon to stock early Porsches.

http://www.pca-ggr.org/calendar.cgi?page=driversed

If you can't make this event, I also recommend NCRC.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:27 PM
tchandler
Instructor

Originally Posted by JackOlsen
NCRC, which bought Tracquest, would be a great path for you (it was for me). Lots of Porsche drivers, good instruction, and reasonable and responsible people sharing the track with you. I don't have any affiliation with them other than occasionally instructing for them, but I've been very impressed with the way they run their show.

They have one-day events on September 22 and October 1 at Thunderhill, which is one of the best (and fastest) learning tracks in northern California. They also have events there October 20-21 and November 18-19. I don't know which I'll be attending yet, but if I'm there, I'm always happy to instruct fellow 911 drivers.
As an aside. Don't let the name scare you. NCRC Northern California Racing Club. They don't race... they just thought the name sounded cool it's DE.
And a good group.

Best bet up here, for what you mentioned, is The PCA GGR...some very good instructors.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:29 PM
gbaker
Three Wheelin'

"I'd like to take the leap and (learn to) drive my car on the track."

Get on an airplane and attend the Porsche Driving Experience. Two days of a pro driver giving instructions from the right seat, you're there.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:13 PM
Dennis K
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're just starting out I'd recommend:

PCA-GGR
NCRC
Unlimited Laps
Hooked on Driving

PCA is probably your best bet, but the other groups, while not marque-specific, have instructors with Porsche experience. The organizers do try and match the instructor to cars they are familiar with. You mentioned Lotus Club on your list and that's one group that I would not recommend for beginners. Their focus is on maximum track time, rather than on instruction.

Also, try to do your first events at Thunderhill rather than Laguna Seca or Sears Point. That track is much more forgiving of mistakes.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:17 PM
tchandler
Instructor

http://www.trackmasters-racing.com/ is also one of my favorite groups. Again racing in the name, but they don't race just DE. Not the best for beginners, but once you get into it they give you a lot of tack time.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:46 AM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Golden Gate Region of PCA is a great place to start and since you already attended the ground school ... you can also call the Russell school at Infineon . They have a few different drivers courses.
It may sound funny but Infineon also has a great kart track with classes that may be a nice way to get your feet wet.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:58 AM
multi21
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3,456 Likes on 2,058 Posts

And definately do an autocross so you can toss the car around and exceed the limit of adhesion without adverse consequences. It helps to know that feeling before you get on a big track.[/QUOTE]

I 2nd this!! Autocross is a great way to get started. Your car is in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gear in a big open parking lot where you NEED TO EXCEED the limits of the car to see what it will do, where it will end up and what your response is (2 feet in). If you try this at a big track right out of the gate, you may bend some metal.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:51 AM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M3Pete
And definately do an autocross so you can toss the car around and exceed the limit of adhesion without adverse consequences. It helps to know that feeling before you get on a big track.
.[/QUOTE]

Two Porsches have been totaled at autocross's in the Golden Gate Region of PCA that I know of so don't get a false sense that nothing bad can happen .

I believe a boxter was totaled in an autocross at Parade in Sacramento in 2000 also
Old 09-09-2006, 02:16 AM
krC2S
Racer

Originally Posted by VZ935
Two Porsches have been totaled at autocross's in the Golden Gate Region of PCA that I know of so don't get a false sense that nothing bad can happen .

I believe a boxter was totaled in an autocross at Parade in Sacramento in 2000 also
how did that happen? did they flip or was the autocross done in an unusual place?
Old 09-09-2006, 02:28 AM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I highly recommend GGR, NCRC or TrackMasters at Thunderhill as a great way to start. I've run with them all and all have good Porsche instructors.

Thunderhill in September is a great time as it isn't too hot and it will not rain. It should be perfect. I'll be there Fri-Sun (9/22-24). If you come, stop by and say hello. I got an email from Gary saying that there would be plenty of newer drivers at this one, so don't wait to long if you are considering it. It may fill up.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:43 AM
gman1868
Instructor

For a good two-day driving school in your own car, I highly recommend the Audi Club. Good for people who are not interested in racing but are interested in going to a driving SCHOOL, they have great instructors (the Golden Gate Chapter has a number of Porsche Pilots) and an excellent price. There will be one toward the end of the year at Sears Point (Infineon). You need not own an Audi to join the Club.

Audi Club North America

Audi Club North America Event Calendar
Old 09-10-2006, 11:38 AM
VZ935
Rennlist Member

I am not sure how the cars were totaled at the GGR/PCA autocross I just now that it did happen back in 2000 or so ... I would also suggest you not go to Infineon for DE or any driving until you get some experience . Infineon is a track that car easily bite you .. Thunderhill would be a better place to start out.

Quick Reply: Newbie question: how to find good driving (not racing) school in Norcal?