Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tire balancing

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 11:04 PM
fatbillybob
Drifting

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

While reading the instruction manuals to several dynamic balancing tire machines I learned that you need to key in the overall tire diameter and width. The computer needs these measurements to calculate the needed weight on the X Y plane. When the tire monkey just puts the wheel on the balancer the machine defaults to a static balance in the X plane only. I could not beleive what I was reading thinking all these years I got dynamically balanced. So I bought a 75 buck static balancer bubble style and tried my luck at balancing wheel/tires. It worked perfectly. In fact I got better results than the tire monkeys with the great machined that they improperly used. Anyway I'm no pro but I can tell you that static balance of the whole combo works great. I tsure would be nice for a tire pro to come on here and tell us whether what I read about with balencers is a true or false statement. If I run tires another day I just scrape off the rubber pick-up and rebalance it takes just a couple minutes a wheel. I am on slicks.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:10 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, have you (or anyone else) had a chance to try just balancing the wheels? I was wondering how you made out. I still like the results, and the acid test will be at Daytona next week.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Quick Reply: tire balancing