Sponsored by:

"Better" track car - 951 or 911?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 09:30 PM
PPo
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sjanes
I bought my 87 911 6 years and 140+ track days ago. Put all new bushing (and monoballs) and bearings in when I got it. Except for normal consumables (brakes, tires, etc), I've only ever had two failures. A small oil line cracked (fixed at the track) and last month, an aftermarket oil line I installed started to leak. Replaced it with a factory one.
Ah ha! I can prove that the 911 guys exagerate! Only broke twice eh? I can clearly remember driving half way to Ottawa from Toronto with a part for you after an oil fed tensioner broke on the 401. That makes three times at least!!

It was all fun however...

cheers,
Patrick
Old 09-13-2006, 12:37 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by 38D
Then you need to go faster. A stock engined 951s is not as fast as a RSA (hence why 951s are in F and E class, and RSAs are in E or D...).
The original question was not about PCA stock classes, it was about a street car that is also tracked, I would assume(making an *** out of u and me) that means DE's. Rare is it that you'll run into a "stock engined 951" at a DE. Hence the comment about moving over for 951's.
Old 09-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rare is it that you'll run into a "stock engined 951" at a DE. Hence the comment about moving over for 951's.
Hence my comment about reliability. It seems that the Turbo power is addictive, and if more is better, a little bit more is even better. Driving is better then fixing.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by Alan Herod
Hence my comment about reliability. It seems that the Turbo power is addictive, and if more is better, a little bit more is even better. Driving is better then fixing.
Agreed.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:40 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

A friend just bought an 83SC for $8500
Hmmmm .... did he get a motor with it?
Old 09-13-2006, 03:27 PM
Russ Murphy
Drifting

Originally Posted by dave morris
Hmmmm .... did he get a motor with it?
Old 09-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hence my comment about reliability. It seems that the Turbo power is addictive, and if more is better, a little bit more is even better.
The reliability argument applies to any turbocharged car whether water-cooled 4 or air-cooled 6.

I have seen more boosted 6's go home on the hook than boosted 4's. Properly tuned modified 4's are pretty reliable as is the stock engine.

The 951 engine is capable of significantly higher hp/liter than air-cooled cars with minor modifications....turbo S does 100 hp/liter stock.

As has already been mentioned, E class is dominated by 951's.....there are air cooled 6's in the same class.....why aren't they winning?
Old 09-14-2006, 08:57 AM
Alan Herod
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Willard -- no arguments there. There is another reason not to pursue the Turbo 911 variants, and that is cubic dollars and I am not arguing that you can't make a 944 turbo faster then a normally aspirated 911 for less money, or that it isn't a good value -- the original question was about reliability.

a realistic car to keep on the track (reliability question more than financial question)
OriginalSterm has a 'lightly' modded 951 which will surely kill an SC and doesn't seem to care about race results.

don't have the money race any porsche in any class other than stock, and even that is a stretch at this point. my racing will be done first in SCCA or NASA as the Eagle Talon I run is much cheaper to maintain.
I suspect after driving a 951 OriginalSterm may not be satisfied with the comparitively pedestrian performance of an pre 993 aircooled car. The Turbo punch is addictive.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 155 Posts

Since my track car is a 911, I am biased so I won't state the obvious. However, having turned a few laps in an E and F stock 951, I will tell you that they are fun and challenging to drive on the track. Why, because learning to manage the boost is challenging. I've seen a few 951s towed in after offs where the boost came on in a bad spot like the turn 2 kink at Summit Point.

My advice, decide which model 951 or 911 you are going to want to club race, then get lots of seat time in that car. Either is a good choice in my book and will provide years of fun.
Old 09-14-2006, 12:51 PM
sjanes
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PPo
Ah ha! I can prove that the 911 guys exagerate! Only broke twice eh? I can clearly remember driving half way to Ottawa from Toronto with a part for you after an oil fed tensioner broke on the 401. That makes three times at least!!

It was all fun however...

cheers,
Patrick
Yeah, but that wasn't at the track do it doesn't count
Old 09-14-2006, 12:53 PM
TD in DC
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Love the one you are with?

Right now, I am enamored with ultra-light SWB LHs. yuuummmmmmmm I want one.

Quick Reply: "Better" track car - 951 or 911?