Advanced Group DE instruction by Vic Elford

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2006, 09:57 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advanced Group DE instruction by Vic Elford

I have been running in B group and have been doing DE events for two years. Some clubs have had rides with instructors on the first day and this is a help but I still want something else. I am really looking forward to this, here is a quote from CIRPCA. What do you guys think of this?

Vic Elford - Advanced Classroom Instructor and Traqmate on Board for CIR Fall DE Event!

Vic Elford, former factory Porsche driver, author and founding instructor with the Porsche Owners Driving School for Porsche Cars North America will be on hand Saturday September 16 at Putnam Park to conduct three classroom sessions exclusively for advanced drivers signed up for the CIR Driver Education event.

After 5 years of focusing on the novice driver's needs CIR Driver Education turns its attention toward the more advanced students and who better than a Monte Carlo Rally, Daytona 24 hr, Nurburgring, Targa Florio and Sebring 12 hr champion to point out the subtleties of driving Putnam Park. Sports Cars, Trans Am, Can Am, F1, NASCAR, Vic Elford has driven quite a variety of cars in his career. With his engineering background, competition history and classroom experience students can expect to gain a whole new insight on high performance driving.

Vic Elford, author of two books, Porsche High Performance Driving Hand Book, and Reflections on the Golden Era of Motor Sports and has been named Chevalier de l'Ordre National du Mérite by French President Georges Pompidou for his act of courage and heroism during the Lemans 24 when he pulled a driver from a burning car. For more about Vic Elford, see http://www.vicelford.com <http://www.vicelford.com/> .

This weekend will also feature representatives from Track Systems Technologies, LLC makers of Traqmate, a GPS based data acquisition system. For details see http://www.traqmate.com <http://www.traqmate.com/> .

The easily installed display and sensor unit is capable of recording and displaying cornering G loads, speed, braking, turn-in and acceleration points. Traqview, the windows based software developed by Track Systems Technologies will plot data graphically for various cars and drivers participating in the CIR Driver Education event. The Sunday September 17 advanced classroom sessions will feature lap and corner analysis using the Traqview software between different cars and drivers at Putnam Park.

For those wanting to take their high performance driving to the next level; sign up now at http://cirpca.org/Events/FallBrake.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 08-26-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:01 AM
stuttgart46
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Vic was one of our instructors at a Skip Barber 3 day racing school in Sebring. Not only can the guy drive but he is a great teacher. Very patient and he never made me feel intimidated. I have stayed in touch with him over the last few years and he always treats me like a friend rather than just another fan.
I can almost guarantee this will be your favorite DE you have ever attended.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:18 PM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stuttgart46
Vic was one of our instructors at a Skip Barber 3 day racing school in Sebring. Not only can the guy drive but he is a great teacher. Very patient and he never made me feel intimidated. I have stayed in touch with him over the last few years and he always treats me like a friend rather than just another fan.
I can almost guarantee this will be your favorite DE you have ever attended.
Never had him instruct me but I have heard him speak several times. Like you said, very good teacher and very approachable. My wife (a true non-motorhead) walked away with a much higher understanding and appreciation for what it takes to drive. Says much for his communication skills.

If I had the opportunity, I would not pass.
Old 09-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well the weekend talks with Vic were as good as folks posted. Great communtication skills and he really has done it all in motorsports.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:36 AM
FTS
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

That's it?!?!?! C'mon you can make it a little juicier than this
Old 09-18-2006, 09:41 PM
Trio
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 186 Posts

The best part of Vic's instruction this weekend was his step by step description of how to take the fastest route through a hairpin turn in a 911 under slick conditions. To paraphrase, Vic described how he would begin the turn with the car driving sideways in a controlled drift, then reverse steer into a 270 degree spin until the car was facing backwards, tail first, through the apex, at which point he would provide ample throttle to finish the turn with the car headed toward the next straightaway. My summary doesn't do his description justice - he even provided a sketch of the various points in the turn, and the vector analysis showing the forces acting on the car. Quite entertaining.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Some stories, Vic told them much better then I can.

Vic was answering a question for a driver about peddle positions when after he asked what car he was driving and was told it was a Lotus. He made a small joke about the reliability of Lotus vs. Porsche and went on to talk about driving a Lotus in a rally race. He described how Lotus, in an effort to reduce weight, make a simple three spoke steering wheel with a wood wheel attached to it. He said he was driving down a road when is navigator yelled at him "VIC, WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING. He looked at the wheel he had in his hands and it was no longer attached to the spokes. He finished that leg driving with just the spokes. Next day the mechanic had a new wheel in place that didn’t break for the rest of the race. Vic stated the entire time he drove 911s for Porsche, they never once broke…quite a statement to say the least.

Another time while he was talking about car balance and spinning, and both feet in during spins. He when on to tell a story about his NASCAR days and how they helped him later in a Porsche. Before the Daytona 500 race, NASCAR required all rookies to go to training class taught by seasoned veterans. He attended a class taught by Richard Petty. Petty advice was if the car started to go out of control on the banking, and you were headed toward the wall, you should turn the wheel left to lock and stand on the brakes. Then, if all went well, the car would spin to the bottom of the track and avoid the wall. During a 24 hour race at Dayton, now driving a Porsche, he broke a rim bead on the back right at night at race speed. He said he did what Petty taught him and all he could see was dark, then the wall, more dark, then the wall. This went on for over 400 yards as the car tore itself apart from being run at extreme speed backwards and the trany and motor was ripped out due to the rear wheel failure. When everything stopped, he was at the bottom of the track, the car was in pieces but he never touched the wall.

Another point he made was that when a car started to become unbalanced, you have to drive your way out of the problem without touching brakes or gas. After you correct the car with stearing, and the car starts to balance, you can then apply power. He stated that if you don't start with a stearing correction, without using the brake or gas peddles, in most cases you will just spin out.

Vic major point was car balance, and he described in a manner that made it crystal clear what he meant. I was able to apply what he taught in the next run and no joke; I had my personal best lap time at Putnam.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM
Dave E
Pro

It's all about balance, always was, always will be...
Old 09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave E
It's all about balance, always was, always will be...
A better way to say it is it's all about contact patch management, and always will be...
Old 09-22-2006, 02:19 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Vic didn't want to take up our track time with the sale of his books and memorabilia, very aware of our timelines. In any case, if you want to look at his web he is at:

www.vicelford.com

Take a few minutes and see what he did in his prime, his guy was a machine that just won event after event in all sorts of racing.
I can state that any PCA activity would be very glad he attended their event.

Last edited by Bri Bro; 09-22-2006 at 02:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Advanced Group DE instruction by Vic Elford