Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Question for Track/Street

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Pad Question for Track/Street

Question on brake pads for a base 997 that I track about two times a month.

As my overall speeds increase, I'm definitely starting to use up a lot of brake pads. The OEM pads just don't appear to be lasting very well.

My mechanic talked to a Porsche-centric performance outfit in LA, Cal. that recommended the Pagid RS14 (orange). I've heard that RS 19's (yellows) were good. My mechanic said that, according to this shop, the RS19 compound was too hard and tough on the rotors, and not good at all for street use.

Question: Is this true? Are RS19s too hard on the rotors? Are they completely inappropriate for the street?

Any recommendations about pads?

Like I said, I track the car about 2 times a month. The rest of the driving is to/from the track, and occassional trips to clients (all highway).

Thanks in advance for any advice/wisdom.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:32 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Try Ferodo DS2500 as a great track/street compromise.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:39 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The experts will probably recommend changing between street and track pads for events as there is no real "compromise" brake pad.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:40 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Originally Posted by OriginalSterm
The experts will probably recommend changing between street and track pads for events as there is no real "compromise" brake pad.
I'm too lazy/busy to change pads--hence the need for compromise.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,607 Likes on 836 Posts

Ferodo DS2500. Try them--you will not be disappointed.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

i run both RS44 (orange) and RS19 (yellow) are both fine on street, though noisy.
RS19 seems to be easier on my rotors.
i dont swap them in and out. i drive on them street or track.
RS14 is actually black, not orange. and yes, they are harder on rotors than either RS44 or RS19.

Last edited by mooty; 08-24-2006 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:25 PM
renvagn
Burning Brakes

Switch them out. It only takes a minute. Run something less dusty and quiter than the pagids on the street. Plus the pagids are a higher temp pad and not made for street application.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:29 PM
Adam@Autometrics
Former Vendor

The orange Pagid is actually RS4-4. The RS14 is the black compound and is much more aggressive than even the yellows. If you are still using street tires, an aggressive street pad like the Pagid blue (RS4-2, i think) or perhaps the Ferodos (I've never used them) will be fine for dual purpose.
If you are using R-compound tires, there really is no dual purpose Pagid (or anything else that I am aware of). The orange is barely adequate for track use (unless the car is light), but even they will squeal badly (and embarrasingly) on the street.

If you change tires at the track, it is not too time consuming to do the pads as well.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:42 PM
Apex Rex
Racer

The pagid yellows work well enough on the street and track. They are what is currently being used in the 996 that I am driving. I know others that like using the yellows for the track and street as well. I would recommend them if you don't mind conducting a symphony on the street.
Old 08-24-2006, 05:45 PM
techno99
Racer

I've used the Pagid blue and they squealed horribly on the street. I wouldn't suggest them. If you are still on street tires, give the Ferodo DS2500 a try. I was happy with them for a while on my BMW although I eventually had pad deposit problems.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:35 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

I use the Pagid "Sport" pad it is compound 4-2-1 they are blue in color but do not confuse them with the "Pagid Blues" ( compound 4-2 ) They do not perform quite as well at the track as 19's or 29's but are much, much better than OE pads. I use them on the street as well and do not require all the heat of standard race pads to work well. This was as close to a best compromise as I could find.
Old 08-24-2006, 06:50 PM
Astroman
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I recently did a lot of research into this same question. I needed a good track pad that was also occasionaly streetable... No matter what people said, I was not willing to trade out pads at the track.

I was close to the Pagid Blues at one point, then was told that they're not very good under heavy track use (especially in heavy cars). I almost shelled out the insane amount of money for the Pagid Yellows but was then recommended the PFC 97s... which I bought. They perform quite impressively... with the usual caveats: They (obviously) do not brake as well when cool (though not dangerously so), they squeal when warmed up, and the brake dust is almost funny (it'll be tough to keep your wheels looking shiny).

From what I gathered, the Yellows would work fine on the street (I think they come stock on GT3s).
Old 08-24-2006, 06:59 PM
RayGT3
Burning Brakes

Pagid yellows do not come stock on the GT3 they are Porsche "comfort" pads, yellow in color but NOT Pagid yellows. There is no similarity between the two other than the paint color.
Old 08-24-2006, 07:10 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

if you drive on track a lot, the pagid dont squeak when yo use on street.
hoiwever, if you use mostly on street and occasionally on track, then they squeal like pigs. basically they have to have heat in there, and beded, else they howl. if they start to be noisy, rebed them, and it will be fine for another 500 street miles before noises come back.

even when cold (cold for CA) i never had prob stopping. if you ever had prob stopping on street at temp above 65F, you are most likely going way too fast on street.
Old 08-24-2006, 09:49 PM
bgiere
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Use the Performance Friction 97 or 01 compund...they will be noisier on the street but will not do too much rotor damage when they are cold. Used them for my DE car and still using them on the cup car...great pads.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Question for Track/Street