Sponsored by:

Brake Pad Question for Track/Street

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PF 97 and change them out. Well worth it considering the cost of the car and Driving events. Street pads are no good on track and track pads are no good on the street. Why live the worst of both? It takes little time to swap and it is a good exersize and well as inspection of the braking system.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
JC3D
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
if you drive on track a lot, the pagid dont squeak when yo use on street.
hoiwever, if you use mostly on street and occasionally on track, then they squeal like pigs. basically they have to have heat in there, and beded, else they howl. if they start to be noisy, rebed them, and it will be fine for another 500 street miles before noises come back.

even when cold (cold for CA) i never had prob stopping. if you ever had prob stopping on street at temp above 65F, you are most likely going way too fast on street.

Mine are in, beded in (or at least i think) and they are so noisy I almost can't deal with it on the street. What is the tecnique for rebedding the higher temp pads in?
Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,691 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by JC3D
Mine are in, beded in (or at least i think) and they are so noisy I almost can't deal with it on the street. What is the tecnique for rebedding the higher temp pads in?
i got to 60mph, brake hard but not trigger abs to 20mph, do this 6xc
then 80mph to 40mph for 6x
then 100 mph to 40mph for 3x
the rotors are blowing red by now and you can smell burning. then i drove 20 miles on fwy to cool rotors down. then noises go away, or only very little squeal remain.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:42 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I use the pagid RS 19 on the street and track. Work very well as long as you don't use them in winter. Almost no squeal on my car.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:45 AM
doc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i use rs19 on my 997s they work well on the street even in 50 deg. weather. they are noisy if you don 't reinstall the stock vibration dampers. the rs19 when new are thicker than the oem pads which will not allow putting on the dampers. after a track day you should be able to put the dampers and be reasonably quite on the street.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:18 AM
techno99
Racer

Will RS19s pit the wheels? I've been running Cobalt SpecVRs on my BMW for both street and track and have been real happy except that my wheels are now pitted. I have some RS19s for my C4S but was wondering whether they will pit the wheels like the SpecVRS did?
Old 08-25-2006, 11:55 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lots of excellent and correct advice here. I'm impressesd!

I've been a retailer of Pagids exclusively for Porsche for almost 4 years now, and here is my experience with the various Pagids. No advice can be set in stone, as these things can be fairly subjective in nature - I'll tell you why and give you some of my impressions:
-----------------
Yellows/RS19:
*Ceramic based pad
*Great track pad.
*Actually fairly easy on rotors. For me, same rotor wear rate as when Iwas using the RS44/Oranges.
*Lasts quite a bit longer than the RS44/Orange.
*In most cases, is quite noisy on the street...yet on my 930 with big reds, not a sound. Ever. Go figure....
*After a track event, the yellows tend to be quiet on street for a few weeks, then the squealing ususally returns.
*Tough, tough pad. Identical compound to what the racers use at Daytona, etc. Many teams do not prefer the RS29 pad and wish to keep using the RS19.
*I've only had one cutomer who did not like the RS19/yellow - and he bought a set for his GT3 - as it turns out - for street use only. Man, was he po'd; the noise was unbearable and he threatened to post on every message board his displeasure. He never did. I told him not to get them for his intended purpose......
--------------------
RS14 black:
*Ceramic based pad
*The ultimate track pad.
*Great 'bite'
*Lasts fairly long
*Noisy on street
*Fairly hard on rotors
*Takes a bit to warm up
*Not* for street use
-------------------
RS44 orange:
*Organic based pad
*For many, a good track/street pad
*Can be noisy on street, but usually not
*Better track pad for cars with larger brakes; ie on early 911s and 911SC *& even some 84-89 Carreras -- with hard track use they *can* pad transfer and get overwhelmed beyond their intended operating range.

Hope this helps!

Craig
Rennstore
Old 08-25-2006, 12:33 PM
Bodhi
Advanced

Thanks all. Fantastic advice all around.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:40 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

i use rs19 on my 996. great pad. long lasting and rotor friendly. they are awsome for the street too. great cold bite but man do they howl. if you drag you brakes at all, like coming slowly to a stop, then you will scrape off the brake pad transfer layer and they will howl. i noticed if i braked harder at a stop then the howling is not so bad but does freak out the person in front and behind me. changing pads is a 1 hour procedure at most. get off your lazy but . you have to tech your car before the track event right?
Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

my experience mirrors mootys. I use orange for everything and have been very happy. when properly bedded in I really get no noise track or street. when cold on street still work fine. Although the pad changing is a simple procedure, way to much for me to bother with. Try the oranges I think you will be happy.

Craig nice write up and good info. I have been concidering the yellow's, any reason to switch??

TIA

tom
Old 08-25-2006, 10:31 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

RSRS,

Can you compare/contrast the Pagid Yellow vs the Blacks?

I've been running the black's on my '97 C4S for a couple of years and am always looking for something that is more friendly to the rotors and lasts longer since the cost of brake pads is starting to get pretty expensive.

Thanks,

-Skip
Old 08-26-2006, 01:56 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

I have a certain philosophy when it comes to pad use:
If it works for you, consider keeping what you have.
-------
996TT brakes are so huge, that the pad matters less than if it were a smaller brake setup.
That said, if you switched to yellows you would find considerably longer pad life (40% avg orange vs. yellows has been the feedback from customers)

Skip -
Blacks are tough on rotors. Braking performance is fairly similar, with the blacks having more 'bite' and the yellows lasting just a bit longer. I like the yellows a ton; they are the choice for my ride which has 993TT brakes.
My rotors are $250 each

If you have any questions, just ask or drop me a line at craigcarolann@comcast.net
Old 08-26-2006, 09:08 AM
K-bit

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll second the recommendation of the Ferodo DS2500.
Old 08-26-2006, 11:04 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks RSRS.

When I buy Pagids next (probably a year from now since I'm already pretty stocked up with Blacks), I'll consider the yellows. It sounds like from a performance perspective they would be very similar to the blacks, but last longer.

Skip
Old 08-27-2006, 11:51 AM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

That is the feedback I've received from customers.
BUT.....(and seriously here).....once you've had black, you won't wanna go back.

They have a bite and braking power (friction level) that the yellows don't quite match.

Quick Reply: Brake Pad Question for Track/Street