Sponsored by:

PUB Racing is Racing For Jim again this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006 | 01:16 PM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default PUB Racing is Racing For Jim again this weekend

As we did last race weekend, we will once again be picking up the torch for the Lung Cancer Alliance in memory of fellow driver Jim Hawkins at this weekend's Waterford Hills Race 5. Check out pics from the last race weekend, see our fancy new stickers!!!
http://www.racing4jim.com/gallery.htm (scroll to bottom for latest pics)

We were doing great, running solid in second last weekend until a most uncharacteristic misfire hit with only two laps left. The loss of the last lap left us down in 7th, collecting only 3 points and ceding the championship lead to Doug Spencer in the oncoming BMW (defending ITB class champion).

The car is repaired for this weekend, the misfire appears to be fixed, and the alignment is reset, so we should be back on the pace once again and looking to put the pressure back on Doug and his team.

Racing 4 Jim (www.racing4jim.com) is a fund-raiser started in memory of fellow ITB driver Jim Hawkins, by his wife Sammi, to benefit the Lung Cancer Alliance. This is a unique fund-raiser in that, in addition to regular donations in Jim's memory, donors have the opportunity to pledge funds based on points scored by the Racing4Jim team during ITB competition this year at Waterford Hills. The first three races were covered by Danny Criss, driving Jim's racecar, the #21 Mustang; PUB Racing has been filling in for Race 4 and 5 in Danny's absence. With only 2 more race weekends left in the Waterford season, and the Class Championship still in a 3-way battle, there's sure to be a tight battle to the finish!!

Old 09-02-2006 | 09:52 AM
924RACR
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Follow-up - brief race report, pics and video

Finally got everything uploaded to the website... pics are here:
http://vaughanscott.com/Races/2006/race5_06.htm

Got the video setup working again, for the most part; exciting starts, and even a bit of fun with a pass for the lead. Unfortunately, I was the one being passed; on the plus side, I did qualify on the ITB pole (by .006s!) and had a great start, held the lead for a few laps...
http://vaughanscott.com/videos.htm

Long story short, we finally got our pace back; while we didn't quite break into the 1:19's again, we did get right back down into the low 1:20's, in the process of chasing down the BMW. Our tire data shows we still want some more camber, and the tires really like those low pressures - Hoosier R6's, running about 36-37psi hot. So there's still more room to tweak the car; however the biggest **** that needs the most tweaking yet is the driver. While I can turn killer laps times chasing down the Bimmer, I just don't have the reference points yet to do those myself - in front of the Bimmer. Makes it not too bad of a job (and fun besides) to chase him down, but makes it real hard to win! The cars definitely are quite well-matched.

First race, we qualifed second, got a clean start, pulled clear of the Rustang pack, and trailed the BMW to a finish, ending up 2.4s behind him. No change for the 2nd race, but after falling back a little mid-race, we started pulling better lap times at the same time he started fading, closing slowly and getting the gap down to 0.3s. But with 2 laps to go, we dropped the outside rear wheel into the dirt mid-way through the double-apex left-hander leading onto the front straight. Didn't wad it up, stayed in control, but that obviously cost us the run we had and any chance to challenge for the lead. Finished 1.2s behind the BMW.

Last race, due to our lap times in the 2nd race we were qualified on the ITB pole, as mentioned. Had an excellent start, pulling well away with the front of the pack while the BMW and leading Rustang (Capri, actually) got penned up behind a GTL Mini which was having trouble getting up to pace.

That's when things went wrong. Instead of pulling out an insurmountable lead, which should have been quite possible, I couldn't hold my pace and was actually turning laps in the 1:22's. Naturally they caught right back up after a couple of laps. I let the Mini by, the BMW got by after going through 3 corners side-by-side, and the Capri nearly got by too till I had to pinch him off. We then picked the pace right back up into the mid-20's, continuing to trailer the Bimmer to the checker. I think I was just too worn out after the first race to really put in much more of a performance...

But the car was handling wonderfully, no wall encounters or other issues whatsoever. A solid, distinct 2nd place car all weekend, without challenge. We had a little bit of a push early on in the weekend, but slowly dialed it out with tire adjustments and slight alignment tweaks; by the end of the weekend, there was still a little bit of push, but it's very close. We'll be cranking the camber back up to 3 up front, maybe the same in the rear, and might even add a little rear bar too.

Quick Reply: PUB Racing is Racing For Jim again this weekend