Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Tire Recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Apex Rex
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can be plenty fast with street tires for a beginner. I am lucky enough to get to drive a bare-bones 996 C2 (no PSM or any other fancy electronic mumbo-jumbo) and some people on here might be able to say that the car is no slouch on street tires.

Stick with street tires for the beginning. It is a lot of fun to slide the car around anyway!
Old 08-22-2006, 09:21 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Another vote for street tires but be sure they are rated for the speed you will be driving.

As for sizes, run with 235F/295R on 18's. That seems to be the most popular size amongst the late model 911 club. Keep your eyes peeled for a set of 996 GT-3 wheels.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:19 PM
tkerrmd
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well back on subject I vote for 315's on a 12 inch wheel in the rear.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:39 PM
cgomez
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

As others said, go first with street tires. The car is plenty fast with those. Those might only be an issue on extremely hot days and if you are driving hard enough.

Only then, go with RComps (RA1s in 18" is what I use in my 997S 245F 305R), but then you MUST increase the camber up front. Otherwise those fronts will not last long (more than 2 days). If they last longer than that is because you are not driving fast enough, so then why bother with Rs?
Old 08-22-2006, 11:35 PM
MarkSchu
Instructor

If I can summarize several of the posts: if you are going to be driving your street car to a DE, especially a nice one, I would recommend driving on high performance street tires to start off. They are much more forgiving for learners. The problem with track tires is that although they have lots of grip, once they let go, you're toast. I was talked into running Hoosiers on my street car at my fourth DE, and, well, let's just say that both me and the car had to catch a rides home.

All you are doing is running your car in a high performance, controlled environment...you are not in a competition, so what's the point of racing/track tires? Unless you have a dedicated track car, high performance street tires are fine, and IMHO, much safer.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:23 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 808 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkSchu
All you are doing is running your car in a high performance, controlled environment...you are not in a competition, so what's the point of racing/track tires? Unless you have a dedicated track car, high performance street tires are fine, and IMHO, much safer.
The reason to switch to track tires is not just because of speed, but becasue of longevity. A good intermediate driver will destory street tires in very short order. But for a beginner, street tires are the way to go.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:35 AM
Dakota
Track Day

Thanks for all the advice everyone; bottom line is I am impressed with the help all you have to give to a newbie. I am convinced to hold off on the track tires..for the time being until I get more experience. I also really appreciate the advice on prioritizing safety!
A bit more info on my situation for interest only: I live 200 miles from the nearest Porsche dealer and 350 miles is the closest track (BIR) so a decision to track is a big committment. I got bit by the P-track virus at Porsche Driving Experience. I have been to the two day beginner and the two day Master. I bought the 997S after the first course and attended the second after buying the car. This was invaluable to me as the 997S X51 is a very strong car and I have gained a huge respect for the car and it's abilities. Being smooth and driving at the edge is my goal, but realize how hard that really is...may never achieve it.
Back to the tires. I have 235R40 19 and 295R30 19 PZero Rosso tires that came on it. Can't say that I love them as I drove on the Michelin PS2 at PDE and liked them better. I am worried when to 'pull the trigger' on the track tires (will go with 18s in same configuration as my current 19s). I hate to wear out the PZeros on the track, then find I need to replace those AND then have to buy track tires/wheels? The economics to me is to switch before I wear out the street tires?
Old 08-23-2006, 01:38 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

START with 245 275 kuhmo victor racers and work from there.
Have Fun !
Old 08-23-2006, 01:46 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

I would have to say switch now if you think you will stay with the track. The problem will become alignment compromise. This is what happens, you start wearing the outside edges of your track tires so you dial in more negative camber into the car and then you start wearing the inside edges of your street tires. Most of the guys who really get into the track end up with a dedicated car. But for now, since 18's are much less expensive, I would get track tires/wheels

Quick Reply: Track Tire Recommendation