Anchors

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 11:11 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Anchors

Norm Goldrich passed me (multiple times) during the NASA event this weekend. I have never had another car make me feel more like a was pulling an anchor behind me. I've seen his posts here before and had a good idea he was good, but holy cow, his car is fast.

In fact, my son talked more about the "black car" than me. Thanks Norm!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:15 AM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met Norm at VIR in 2004. I was (all modesty aside ) storming past just about everyone else in my GT3, and Norm went flying past me at about that same rate on the back straight. I was getting about 165, but he was doing over 180.
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-14-2006, 07:59 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi John,

It was very nice seeing you at MidOh...

Man was there a lot of traffic in our group or what. 55 cars - and I can safely say I have never run with that many Hondas and even Legends cars.

The speed differentials between many of the GTS cars and the Hondas was huge.

I do have to say that I thought in general the drivers seemed pretty aware and respectful...

How did you end up?

Are you running the National?

And Larry, I do have to compensate for other things with HP :-)

Norm
Old 08-14-2006, 10:57 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

Norm,

I'll be at the Nationals. I tried a different tire this weekend and could not get the understeer dialed out. Ever felt like you have ski's for front wheels?

Third on Saturday and 5th on Sunday with Sean Tillinghast lapping me in his M3.

Were you out there for the start or did you give everyone else a head start to make it interesting?
Old 08-14-2006, 11:10 AM
ngoldrich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,

Nice driving on your part. Good luck and have fun at the nationals.

My time for Sunday's race would have put me on the pole but I was DQ'd and put to the back of the pack since they said I made a pass in qualifying when I was even with one of the support trucks that was helping an off track car which I had not yet cleared completely; even though the next flag station was not yellow. I probably did do it since I was really watching the next flag station closely.

Anyways, it was a blast. Reminded me of Leh's video - probably not as impressive, but reminded me nonetheless.

I started in position 53 and by lap 4 I was in the lead. I was driving like a posessed person but safely passing on the outside and inside everywhere. I must have made 10 passes on the outside of madness, passing in the turn 10a,b, andf 11 section, a ton of passes on the outside of the caroussel and many on the straight.

The whole race I never had a clean lap since there were so many Hondas, legend cars plus all the cool GTS cars. Even with all the incredible traffic I was running 1:31's on the full course while having to brake in the middle of turns due to speed differentials.

But it was fun; and almost everyone seemed to be driving pretty respectfully and aware...

By the way, it was impossible to get a clean lap for in qualifying for anyone; hence the slower times. Even on the first lap we would be in traffic. But hey, everyone had to deal with it, so it made it more interesting....

Norm

Quick Reply: Anchors