Sponsored by:

What are my tires telling me?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:36 AM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by shiners780
No offense taken at all, I really appreciate your insight.

Your slip plate suggestion is interesting, I may give that a try. If nothing else (tie rods turn out to be truly straight), it will be an education in suspension & steering relationships.
Take a real good look at the angle (all 3 axis) of the cast/forged 'arm' of the hub/knuckle that the steering tie rods connect to...they can get bent/tweaked on the street or just by nudging a tire wall. Many times, some alignment chucklehead will just crank the tie rods until the toe is back within spec, but a bent arm can give you all sorts of weird effects once the steering is turned.

You stated 1:21s at enduro pace and low 1:20s during sprints? Did you write those numbers correctly? I would think sprint times would be faster than enduro times.
Sprint times = 1:20.xxx...the Hoosier guys can cut laps in the high 18's, but Miatas on Toyo's don't seem to go faster than mid-high 19's.

When you say loosen it up, I'm assuming you mean to loosen it up during turn entry? As it seems mid-turn and exit are solid.
Loosen it up all thru the corner. You need to be able to 'steer with your feet'. Minor throttle changes should allow you to slightly alter your line at entry, mid and exit. If you can't easily and controllably alter your line, position or angle in a corner, you've got a push. It takes a while to get used to a truly neutral or loose race car. Most people think that their car is very 'neutral', when in fact it is really a wallowing, understeering wad. 'Getting there' is going to require that you spin the car a few times, or at least have a few off-course excursions. Pick your places to experiment.

Nelson Ledges is challenging. You'll probably never spend as much % of a lap with your right foot mashed to the floor anywhere else. Many dismiss it, as it lacks all the foo-foo amenities, but I love the place and would opt for a race weekend there rather than LRP or WGI or the Poke...which are all closer to me.
I've crashed at every corner (insides and out) and had some pretty lurid moments when not crashing, but the place makes me smile every time I roll thru the gate and across the track.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Larry Herman
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Professor Helmüt Tester
Ever whack a corner ? You could have bent a tie-rod arm on the 'whacked' knuckle, which could be 'aligned' back to straight with the tie rod adjusters, but would present some weird Ackermann angles when steering was cranked in (seen this myself).
Good suggestion. I think that many times when the front end gets tweaked, the steering arms get bent and no-one picks up on it, unless they are bent on purpose .

One of these days I am going to figure out who you are. Anyone one in the Phila area know? PM me & I'll mount & balance a set of tires for you for free!
Retired Club Racer & National PCA Instructor
Past Flames:
1994 RS America Club Racer
2004 GT3 Track Car
1984 911 Carrera Club Racer
1974 914/4 2.0 Track Car

CLICK HERE to see some of my ancient racing videos.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:54 PM
Professor Helmüt Tester
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

Trust me, it would probably be a big let-down to meet me. Don't get your expectations too high...

Hints:
I have more hair than Stirling Moss (include the last 50 years, & nostril hair, etc.).
I have a much better temperment than A.J. Foyt.
I have raced against Sunday Driver. We both claim victory. Records of those events are sketchy.
I could be driving anything. Really. ANYTHING.
Juan Manuel Fangio was Argentine. I have been to Argentina. See the connection ?

That should make it easy.

Quick Reply: What are my tires telling me?