Sponsored by:

Hungarian HP - Refreshing to see a fresh set of Podium finishers

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 03:51 PM
4 Kurves
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2BWise
It was great to see "young" guys show they can outrun the hot shoes and all the battles. But it seemed to me that it was a bit of an amatuer race because some of the stupid moves the drivers were making. Schumacher bumping Fisi then seconds later taking off his own front wing trying to overtake an obviously faster Fisi, then spinning two laps later, Kimi attempting to drive OVER Liuzzi. I can't remember the other incidents off hand, but remember at least two other safety car periods. It was a lame attempt at a Nascar race.
Agreed that there were plenty of lame moves - especially by MS but reagrding the Fisi/MS wing thing; if you study it closely you see that MS puts the right front on the (wet) curbing to avoid Fisi and the car immediately washes (understeers) to the left. He quickly turns into the skid to save it which is why it looks like he turned right into Fisi's rear tire and lost his wing when in truth he was just trying to save the car.

Of course he goes on to make plenty of other dubious moves in the race with De La Rosa and later Heifeild.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mitch236
It was hard to see but I thought I saw the RR wheel guy, who looked like he didn't want the car to go but the jack man and lolliepop guy released the car. There were two guys looking down at the RR when the car went. I have it on TiVo and will recheck it tonight. Either way, I'm sure the RR wheel guy feels like crap and is taking alot of abuse (or ribbing)...
Cool, I'd like to hear what the video shows...
Old 08-07-2006, 04:32 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Agreed that there were plenty of lame moves - especially by MS but reagrding the Fisi/MS wing thing; if you study it closely you see that MS puts the right front on the (wet) curbing to avoid Fisi and the car immediately washes (understeers) to the left. He quickly turns into the skid to save it which is why it looks like he turned right into Fisi's rear tire and lost his wing when in truth he was just trying to save the car.
I did notice that, but I was still curious as to why he was trying so hard to repass when it was obvious Fisi was quicker and probably hold the spot (althougth be can second guess it all day) it was just IMO of the situtation.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:46 PM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can not short cut the track to defend your position. The rule applies if you leave the track, you can't do it to improve or defend your position
Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

I enjoyed Alonzo passing Schumi using the outside "wet linie". Brilliant and for anyone who hasn't tried the wet line, proof how how much better it is on a wet track.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:30 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Bob,
Aren't there at least 2 wet line practices?
Super late apex on the inside, vs just staying to the outside. Alonzo's was the latter.
The first is riskier to me, since you have to cross the dry race line at a critical point, and deal with the subsequent traction loss.

I don't think the F1 guys go up a gear, the way us mortals do. (I'm guessing you do?) AS
Old 08-08-2006, 09:43 AM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gums
You can not short cut the track to defend your position. The rule applies if you leave the track, you can't do it to improve or defend your position
I agree with your statement but an argument could be made that MS merely went off track and re-entered without having to do it to defend his position.

I re-watched the Alonso pit stop and there were too many guys standing around to tell for sure but it did look a little like the RR tire man was waving his arms when the car dropped off the jack, but I can't be sure.

One thing for sure, it should be a very interesting end run for the season. I wonder if KR is going to partner with MS next season, wouldn't he be sort of a teammate now?!

Quick Reply: Hungarian HP - Refreshing to see a fresh set of Podium finishers