Hungarian HP - Refreshing to see a fresh set of Podium finishers

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 07:27 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kev
Couple of thoughts on the race:
3. Renault mechanic should be on that podium with Button for the centerlock incident.
Bit harsh considering the problem was actually a broken drive shaft!!!!
Old 08-06-2006, 08:25 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I thought it was great to see fresh faces on the podium!!!

Two points to ponder:

Why did McLaren was so long for de La Rosa? (ba-bye JPM)
I dont want to wake up tomorrow and be FA's wheel nut guy
Old 08-06-2006, 10:34 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 830 Likes on 417 Posts

Definitely a great race to watch.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:20 AM
caf
Rennlist Member

Someone called into Speed TV's "Wind Tunnel" last night with a suggestion that's been made before, but still cracks me up (then I think "Why not?"):

Have computer controlled sprinklers randomly turn on at F1 races! Adds an element of uncertainty as well as a real challenge for the drivers...
Old 08-07-2006, 10:43 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 147 Posts

Villeneuve is out.

www.f1.com

Great race, good for Jensen to finally get a win!
Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 AM
gums
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

By the way, this is not the first time that what happened to Alonso has occured. Mansell surely lost a World Championship when his R/R wheel man bungled the change in Portugal.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:59 AM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
Bit harsh considering the problem was actually a broken drive shaft!!!!
Seems that rather the issue was the centerlock's safety mechanism which failed and damaged the nut when it was removed. I'm no mechanic but does the tire guy have interaction with this mechanism when removing tires? Also, I would think that it's his job to make sure that nuts are undamaged and seated properly.
Old 08-07-2006, 12:07 PM
2BWise
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

It was great to see "young" guys show they can outrun the hot shoes and all the battles. But it seemed to me that it was a bit of an amatuer race because some of the stupid moves the drivers were making. Schumacher bumping Fisi then seconds later taking off his own front wing trying to overtake an obviously faster Fisi, then spinning two laps later, Kimi attempting to drive OVER Liuzzi. I can't remember the other incidents off hand, but remember at least two other safety car periods. It was a lame attempt at a Nascar race.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:13 PM
}{arlequin
Pro

it was a great race. one of the most entertaining i've seen in a long time. i got a new guy to cheer for too- go kubica!
Old 08-07-2006, 01:17 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I wonder what was going through Schu's head when de La Rosa was closing in and Schu decides to alter the course??? (WTF)

Even the commentators were scratching their heads
Old 08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rbennett
I wonder what was going through Schu's head when de La Rosa was closing in and Schu decides to alter the course??? (WTF)

Even the commentators were scratching their heads
I can tell you. "Maybe I was still ahead when I went off." The truth is, he wanted to win. You never know. Maybe Button has a mech failure and Kubica is a newbe, maybe he can hold him off. I'm sure this morning he is kicking himself...

I didn't find the race to be very much fun but I'm glad that both FA and MS were not in the points (at least they weren't until this morning) because if MS wins the championship (which he still may), it would be tarnished by this race had he finished well while Alonso lost by no fault of his oun.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:59 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kev
Seems that rather the issue was the centerlock's safety mechanism which failed and damaged the nut when it was removed. I'm no mechanic but does the tire guy have interaction with this mechanism when removing tires? Also, I would think that it's his job to make sure that nuts are undamaged and seated properly.
Maybe I was wrong, but I was only repeating what Alonso said in interview
Old 08-07-2006, 03:32 PM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mitch236
I can tell you. "Maybe I was still ahead when I went off." The truth is, he wanted to win.
Yes, that was probably it. He did not really GAIN a position from doing that move, but at the same time did not Yield the spot when it was probably lost. Plus one car argue all day that Pedro "ran him off" track and he was avioding an "over agressive" pass. Really what may appear clear on TV in a overhead shot is far different from being in the heat of battle. It is easy to make an error in judgment when you are faced with a "close" situationwhile desprate to stay in front in a car with old crappy tires. Remember also that Hungary is very hard to pass on (in dry normal conditions) and with only 5 laps left he may have felt he could "hold off" these guys and then close the gap only 3 points.

On thing is clear from watching Micheal over the years is that he NEVER gives up. Never at all and some times he wants it so bad he lets that good level of agression take over and cause him to do questionable moves.
Old 08-07-2006, 03:42 PM
mitch236
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kev
It was hard to see but I thought I saw the RR wheel guy, who looked like he didn't want the car to go but the jack man and lolliepop guy released the car. There were two guys looking down at the RR when the car went. I have it on TiVo and will recheck it tonight. Either way, I'm sure the RR wheel guy feels like crap and is taking alot of abuse (or ribbing)...
Old 08-07-2006, 03:50 PM
kev
Darth Cup
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
Maybe I was wrong, but I was only repeating what Alonso said in interview
First report was an axle failure, but Pat Symonds is saying it was the centerlock's "safety mechanism" (whatever that is?).

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/4786/763.html

Quick Reply: Hungarian HP - Refreshing to see a fresh set of Podium finishers