Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old or new tires for Silver State?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 02:21 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Old or new tires for Silver State?

So I'm plotting my return to the Silver State Classic, and I've laid my hands on GT3 seats, DAS rollbar, and various other goodies. I'm not planning too big a jump, just to 120mph average/140mph maximum, as continue to get my bearings.

I could use some input on tyres (tires for the colonials )

The car is currently on P Zero Rossos, but as normal the rears are wearing more quickly than the fronts. At the current rate of wear, the rears will just still be race- and street-legal by September, so I'm wondering is it safest to run with the existing "pre-shaved on the I-5" Pirellis, or the new Pilot Sports I'm thinking of putting on the rear (I figure I can switch the fronts later) which might have "too much" tread for high speeds. I guess another option is to fit new Pirellis, and hopefully the old fronts and new rears will wear out at the same time so I can switch to Michelin all round early next year.

Thoughts, anyone?
Old 08-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would get new Pirelli rears, given the above choices.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Richard S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 76 Posts

Simon, I'm getting ready for the Pony Express later this month and will have to buy a new set of tires for the race. In my case, I keep a set of race only wheels/tires. These last me 4 years, which is the maximum age allowed for tires at MKM events. I drive to and from the event on the race set, then store them for the next season, etc.

In your case, I would recommend new tires. Even though your new speed class is well within the design limits of the tire, the wear and tear they have received might be an issue. As an example, at last years Gamblers Run I found a screw embedded in the center rib of my tire. Went to the local tire shop, but the nearest tire in my size was in Reno or SLC. I figured I would pull out of the event since you cannot run on patched tires. When the tech pulled out the screw, it hadn't punctured the tire and thus caused no issues. On a tire with thin/very little tread, it may well have caused a puncture.

Also, the tread depth of new tires should be just fine. I would recommed a higher cold tire pressure before the event. I put mine up to 40psi cold. This help with the heat issues.

BTW, new roll-bar goes in my 928-S4 this weekend, puts me in the 168mph tech speed class

Rich
Old 08-04-2006, 06:03 PM
NNH
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, both of you, for the advice.
I'm not (yet) at the stage of having track/race tyres, but I can see that's a possible next step. In the meantime, I'll fit a new set of P Zero Rossos at the back a week or two before the event, and I'll consider taking the old ones along as backups.
Edited to add: I suppose I could even ask the tire shop guys in Ely to order me a new set of rears so they can fit them when I get there.

Quick Reply: Old or new tires for Silver State?