Sponsored by:

Any tips on the best areas to view the Monterey Historics @ Laguna Seca

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 11:49 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Any tips on the best areas to view the Monterey Historics @ Laguna Seca

I'm headed out on 8/18-20 to watch the races. I've never been to LS or Mazda Raceway as its now called. Just looking for any insider tips that some of the good folks here that are knowledgable about this facility may be able to tee up for us neophytes. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:57 PM
Mike in Chi

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 177 Likes on 113 Posts

Outside of the main paddock, on the highest point along the fence on the front straight gives you a good view of most of the track. (This fills up first thing in the morning)

Otherwise by the screw or on the hill in front of the corkscrew looking at the rest of the track.

At lesat this was the best last time Porsche was the featured marque, and before the name of the track was sold.

(And make sure you walk the paddock. Amazing cars)

Last edited by Mike in Chi; 08-03-2006 at 12:28 AM.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:58 PM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I can't help you with the best place to view, but can comment on the parking issue at the 1998 historics (Porsche's 50th party)... As you can imagine, everyong took their nice "rides" to the event, and the parking situation was quite a shock. So many people showed up, that they has people park their cars literally on the rocky/grassy hillsides next to Leguna Seca. I have numerous pictures of Lambos, Ferraris, and plent of P-Cars parked sideways on these burnt hills with no doubt spoiler damage and potential undercarriage damage. And when the races were over, all of these slick tires couldn't get traction on the packed down grass, so everyone had to chip in to push cars. What a disaster! I learned then not to bring my nice ride, so we took the SUV the following year.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

I think Mike covered the best spots. You need to move around.
Outside turn 1 - you can see quite a bit of the track.
Climb the hill, from one side you can see a lot of the track, on the back side walk along the fence and get a few perspectives of the cars coming over the hill.
Walk though the paddock, then if you want to watch cars for a bit go to the grandstand by turn 4, especially in the afternoon, the sun will be at your back and it's not too bad.

For parking - if you have a nice ride turn left after the gate and park at the top of the hill and walk down. If you have a rental turn right, then turn left at the bridge and park on the hill. Last time I was there they charged extra to park there. The SCRAMPies aren't as friendly as they used to be.
Old 08-03-2006, 12:12 AM
Cory M
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

I like the view from the hill next to turn 2. But the best place to be at the historics is in the paddock, if it costs extra to get into the paddock pay for it - it will be worth it.

I agree about the parking at the Historics and the Concourso Italiano. It was sad to see so many $300k+ cars absolutely filthy and covered in 1/2" of dirt at the end of the show.
Old 08-05-2006, 04:25 PM
gersar928
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 59 Posts

I enjoy the view from the burm S/W of turn 2 (If you missed the brakes entering the turn and drove slightly to the left across the gravel) you can see the entire turn as well as the entrance to turn 3 and a side view of turn 5.Then go on walkabout to the Corkscrew.You have to see that in person.
Gerry

Quick Reply: Any tips on the best areas to view the Monterey Historics @ Laguna Seca